Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  What can I do with 2 long, skinney granite pieces?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can I do with 2 long, skinney granite pieces? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CJO
posted
They are about 4" high and one is about 4 feet long and one is at least 5 feet long. Installer left behind and don't know what to do with them. Would make nice trivets, I suppose, but don't have appropriate tool to cut them.

Posts: 2769 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Drill holes for hooks and make a coat or hat rack for the wall. One vertical, one horizontal.

Buy shelf brackets and use in the laundry or bath or as a window ledge (inside or out).

Edge a flower bed

any other ideas????

Posts: 2958 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
The make wonderful Cheese and cracker trays/cutting board. But not sure about just the four inches in width. I know my mother used small pieces of marble slabs as bread warmers. She'd put them in the oven and after hot, stick them in linen napkins, under the bread. worked like a dream. I'd found a whole slew of round granite that were cut outs for sinks tossed in a local businesses dumpster. I gave them away as Christmas Presents in baskets with cheeses/wine etc.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I bet they'd cut it for you at no charge if you happen to have a tile place close by. Or if you have a hubby or a friend with a skillsaw, they can cut it using a tile blade while the water hose is running on it while cutting. Trivits! good idea

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
rubyruby,
You would be referring to a TILE saw... MADE to cut with water.
A regular saw IS NOT meant to cut with water.

I would go to a granite place and get them to cut to size.

BUT if they were meant to be back splashes, they would have one finished side and not the other, also would need cut ends polished. Might cost you more than you were willing to spend.

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LibraDesignEye
posted Hide Post
What if you mounted one of them on your exterior wall at the patio like a kind of a drink ledge? Use a continuous 1 x 4 cleat below them and 2 x along the wall then quarter round trim in the seam should carry it easily - silicone on.

Posts: 2032 | Registered: Apr 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post