Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning Finds 4/1/13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Finds 4/1/13 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
Happy Monday and Happy April Fool's Day! I was trying to come up with a good joke but it's just a little too early Smile

Please join in our fun and share pictures or just tell us about any recent or favorite treasures. We always love to hear prices too.

Look forward to seeing everyone's goodies.

Posts: 10396 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I got to go places Friday and Saturday and came home with treasures . . .

A new lamp. Found it in the shop before I went to Italy but didn't buy it (saving my money for Italian antiques!) but . . . decided if I didn't spend all my money in Italy that I would get it the next time I was there if it was there.

I was and it was -- came home with me and looks perfect in that spot. But it DOES need a new shade. I'll have to look in the attic to see if I have something or if I need to go buy something -- I do like the shade's shape, however . . .

Martha

Posts: 5398 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A fun piece that I found at my favorite garden shop that always has interesting things . . . they displayed it this way and thinking that this little cherub needed something, I bought it! Looks like it may have come from Italy -- and is an antique. Do I dare make up a story about this piece?

Martha

Posts: 5398 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
My steal of a deal. Something I've wanted in "forever" -- ever since I first saw them. It's a real thatched roof English bird "table" (as they call flat feeders) -- for $60!

I found it online -- for sale in England for $300 -- but then you have to pay to get it here . . . and it is heavy!!!!

I can't tell you how long I've wanted something like this so was so excited to see it -- and when I saw the price . . . you almost had to pick me up off the ground!

Jim filled it Sat night and the birds were flocking to it on Sunday!

It's terrific and I was so excited because I NEVER thought I would get to have one!

Martha

(And it is English -- made in Devon, England -- there's a plaque that says so!)

M.

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Martha, as always your finds are wonderful. I must say I'm in love with your bird "table". It is beautiful and I can see why you've wanted one for so long. Terrific price too.

Posts: 10396 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Morning everyone.

Linderhof, you have some great finds once again. I also love the bird table, very cute.

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, anyone else do any treasure hunting or want to share old finds?

posted Hide Post
Hi, all! I hope you had a happy Easter. I've had house guests for a week and just returned from taking them to the airport. Whew! Tomorrow will be spent doing laundry and cleaning, but I didn't want to miss out on the MMF thread.

Linderhof, I love your finds, especially the bird table. Will you be able to keep the squirrels out of the bird seed? I also wanted to tell you that I used your recipe to make popovers for Easter brunch and they were delicious. Thank you so much for sharing that recipe. I mixed up some softened butter with honey and orange zest to serve with them.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Gracie -- that butter sounds heavenly. Glad you liked the popovers!

Martha

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Hi Gracie, thanks for popping in. Now that your house guests have left, you can relax. It's always nice to have friends/family in but also nice to have your home back Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyler:
It's always nice to have friends/family in but also nice to have your home back Smile

So true, Skyler. Smile

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Hi, and Thank you Skyler for this wonderful uplifting thread!

I was out of town and then we got so busy when we got back home.

Martha,
LOVE that lamp, perfect for reading. At first glance it looks like a perfect match for that wallpaper in the photo!

Oh that Garden wreath is wonderful! Love it as a headdress in the yard!
and the flat feeder!

And things from England...
My youngest son's girlfriend goes to London a few times a year for work, and this time she had remembered me by bringing home some TEA!
She is not a tea drinker (only green tea) so I am grateful for anything she brought home to me.

We also finished the back wall of our Master closet, and I can start putting back some of the hanging clothes! We are making the drawer units next.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

English teas

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Our Master closet back wall

Material 3/4 paint grade plywood
Painted white
Adjustable (can change out where shelves go)
Floor is tiled in terra cotta tile we had (had to buy a couple of boxes [exact amount we needed for that closet] we had custom ordered to see if we would use it in the house, we changed our mind to the wood grain tile, so DH wanted to use this in the closet since he liked it.

You will notice two shelves not installed yet and the doorway is getting new trim. The string light cord is going... DH installing lighting over the doorway with a switch. (door is off for ease of doing the work in there).

Mcloset back wall

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Here is a small story of the Master closet.
So HAPPY to have abandoned our remodel schedule to do this closet was driving me nuts with that ONE wire shelf/hanger rod!

master closet pics

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
That's a nice roomy closet Mary Ruth. Love it. Your DH does GREAT work, your so very lucky. Smile

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice closet, Mary Ruth. I admit that I absolutely abhor those wire shelves. I've had them in bedroom closets, linen storage and kitchen pantries and hated every minute of use. I'm so happy to have solid shelves in my current house.

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
MR, I love the shelving in your closet. I've been harping about my closet for going on four years now. I HATE those wire shelving units.

Cute birdies items L.

Gracie, I KNOW what you mean about houseguests. Nice to have, but nicer to go home Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
lilsophie,
Thanks! We met while working for a large high end built-in and closet company! He ran the shop and the installers, I was engineering the drawings and jobs. (both of us were divorced and NOT looking for anyone in particular) We worked well together and were best friends for a few years before things changed to dating! Smile Been married 12 yrs now.

Gracie,
We were going to 'get to it' someday when it is the Master Bedroom/Closet/Bath remodeling time. BUT I just could not wait any longer... my arms just could not take that high reach with misses as I tried to grab that thin rail with the hangers. I just lost it one day... and DH was listening! LOL... he said 'we will do it NOW'! Gotta love him!

Shelving, unit on left side is for folded items and linens we need for the master. We have a linen closet in the hallway for guest rooms. But when we redo those closets we will also put in shelving for the needs of each room and for guest's storage items. We will use same system (remove wire) in the other two bedrooms. They have reach in closets, so only one wall will get hanging and shelves.

Wanda,
We had done our closet in our Virginia house (much larger) and we LOVED it. We saw our clients reactions to having organized closets so we couldn't wait to 'clean up' ours here, but we had our priorities to do the kitchen first. So, we stopped our work in there, also doing a job for my son, then back to the kitchen.

This photo shows the closet we USED TO HAVE in Virginia in that house. I really MISSED the convenience of units we put in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Va master closet

Picture of LibraDesignEye
posted Hide Post
What a terrific skill to have acquired, and so lovely what you've done. Couldn't help but chuckle as a contractor I always think of the barefoot cobbler. Glad you gave yourself a gift!

My Monday morning find a month ago was a busted pipe under kitchen floor so drywall is back on and I've got repainting to accomplish.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LibraDesignEye,

Posts: 2032 | Registered: Apr 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
LibraDesignEye,
OH what a bummer about that water pipe! Glad the repair is behind you!

Yes, we sure did give ourselves a gift! I am starting to load the closet... and what a nice feeling to be in this organized space! The drawer units are next too be made. can't wait!

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Hi Mary Ruth!

WHat a sweet gift from your son's girlfriend. I think it's so nice that she thought of you. I love tea, especially in winter. Too bad we don't live closer to one another....we could have a tea party Smile

Your closet project is great. My DH is always talking about redoing our closet so I think I'll share your pictures with him. Thanks for sharing!

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Libra, I'm sorry to hear about the pipe. We had three pinhole leaks in our pipes that were underground. We had to jackhammer the floor three different times and our insurance company eventually dropped us. We had to to reroute all the pipes from the ground to the walls. Talk about a nightmare. See....I'm trying to make you feel better Smile

posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your leaks, LibraDesignEye. You would think that they would have figured out how to keep pipes from leaking by now, wouldn't you?

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
not a new find but one i've had for ages..dd2 was telling about a dream she's had for ages...a suspension bridge that scares her..realised it was the capilano bridge in vancouver bc! found the mug and took it over to her yesterday, lol...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Skyler,
Thanks, she is such a sweetie and is such a happy gal full of smiles and hugs for me! Smile Oh a TEA PARTY would be awesome!

What a good topic for a thread! A virtual tea party! HOW FUN! I will start one when I am finished replying to the board threads! Smile
And what a MESS about the pipe leaks and insurance dropping you! We had a leak in our Va home, but it was from under the door in the kitchen, we ended up replacing some subfloor (on a crawl space) and then we decided to put hardwood down to replace the vinyl that was there. What an unexpected mess and long repair! So sorry you had that MESS! Glad it is over for you!

sjf,
A dream, suspension bridge she had been on, or did she remember the mug, a souvenir from a trip? Was that the source of her nightmare?
Sounds like quite a find for you to bring to her and bring up discussion. Smile