Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Buffet/sideboard is finished
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffet/sideboard is finished Sign In/Join 
Picture of annielinz
posted
A few months back I bought this buffet off of craigslist. It was painted a shiny red color and had some damage to the top veneer. I originally bought it for my DD as a TV stand and was going to paint it white. Well this was while we were doing the remodel and getting the house ready for sale and all I got done was the stripping...it was took a long time.

Fast forward, we've moved, and we moved the beast with us. Since I've got some time on my hands,I went for it. I painted it using Behr flat paint, the color is Lotus Leaf. It's like a blue green sea glass color. The color does not read true to life in the photo.
The top was damaged and I really wanted to have it stained a dark walnut color, not painted....so I took off the veneer top, peeling and scrapping it with a putty knife and sanding it smooth. I also had to do that with one of the drawer fronts, unfortunately I couldn't get all the veneer off, so I sanded it as smooth as I could.
I ended up adding a stencil to the drawer fronts to disquise the imperfections in the wood. The whole thing was distressed and waxed and it's as good as it gets!
It's airing in the garage and hopefully DH will help me move it into the dining room tomorrow.

So heres the before, red and then stripped:

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
And here is the after:

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Well done! This is exactly what we do where I work...rescue old pieces, paint them and give them new life. Are you keeping it or giving it away?

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is lovely and I adore the colour.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WONDERFUL JOB!!

Posts: 4022 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Thank you Belstone, yes after all that work its a keeper.
Susan, I really like the color also, its very soothing.
Thank you Nitalynn.

Here's a picture in the dining room.

Now I'll have to fiddle with what to put on top......

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annielinz,

Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
OH Annie, that is gorgeous. Love it. Good job

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a gorgeous piece and finishes off your DR nicely. I love the color and the fact you have tons of great storage. Great job!!

Posts: 3054 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
It looks great! You've clearly got talent.

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Annie,

The perfect re-do for your buffet. It's nice to see that you gave the piece a new start. Love the color too!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9325 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
You did a GREAT job! Fits your space beautifully! What a great recovery for that piece! LOVE it!

Posts: 9527 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Annielinz, your buffet is so pretty. I like that you stained the top while painting the rest. And it looks great with your wood floors.

Posts: 2133 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice job! I really like it in your room.

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Very nice, you did a good job refinishing it!

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Wow you really put a lot of work into that buffet! Scraping veneer off is one hard job!

It looks terrific.

We had such a buffet when I was a child. My mom used to tell how I spent the whole day of my next sister's birth (I was 18 mo old) taking all the things out of one of the cabinet sides!

Posts: 12148 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Oh, I love it. Great job Annie!

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
looks perfect there....looking at your two-tone table is making almost wish I kept my round table and painted the bottom black!!

Posts: 9432 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Here's mine...just a little one for a little space in a little house. Painted it a soft yellow called Fenwick Yellow by Old Century Paints.

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, everytime I walk by it I smile, mainly because I don't have to look at it in my garage anymore-LOL!

I've been wanting one for years. I saw one in town that was just gorgeous, dark wood, carved, but it was pricy. There was no work to be done just put it in place. However, I was looking for a project and this fit the bill. I thought with the lack of carvings it would be an easy job....didn't count on removing the top, but that's what makes these litle projects exciting, you never know what you are going to run into.

Belstone, I love yours. I was looking for one with a little more detail work like that, its really gorgeous and I love the color you choose.
Makes me want to look for another Smile

LOS, what a lovely memory, I used to do the same in my moms buffet, I loved to play with her "nice things".

Always, no regrets, you will find the right table!

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
It is beautiful and fits your space perfectly! I bought one at least 4 years ago and have yet to do anything with it.

You have inspired me!

Posts: 3033 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
BEAUTIFUL TRANSFORMATION!

LOVE the style of yours Belstone. I could find a space for that sweet piece for sure. Smile

Posts: 18386 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Annie, I had a thought regarding the art above your buffet. Moving the two prints closer together just over the buffet would visually enlarge it's presence. In fact, for small square prints in two rows above the buffet would definitely draw the eye. Again, great job!

Posts: 18386 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Oh I love it Annie. You did a fantastic job on that piece. Love the color you used, as well as the stained top.

And it looks perfect in your dining.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
My Life, you are doing exactly what we are doing, moving across country. Good luck with your move and your hunt for furniture.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent job! Getting ready to redo a buffet. Did you use oil base or latex?

Posts: 1736 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Froo, the art is throwing me off a bit too. I haven't decided if I will put a huge gold gilded round mirror over the buffet or the wood carved one I have or as you say move the art closer, so I'm living with it for awhile....

Charles, I used latex flat. Please post before and afters of yours when you are done!

This was the piece I was going to try the "homemade chalk paint recipe" on, but then I decided nah. I just slapped on the flat, distressed it a bit and then went over it with some fine steel wool which gave it a silvery/greyish hue to it. I then finished it off with some good ol' SC Johnson wax, because thats what I had on hand.

Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
Oh, I love it, and the dining room, very nice.

Posts: 504 | Location: NE PA | Registered: Jul 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
VERY nice, LOVE how it turned out. Smile

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7638 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Annie I too agree that the art work should be closer together.
And I would love to see what the mirror would look like up there.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wallis104
posted Hide Post
Annie - what an incredible transition. It's a gorgeous color and the detail is certainly an enhancement.

Geeze, I looked at your dining room and my eye was drawn to the néw piece & the unique way you placed the artwork above it. I like the layout just the way it is now.

Belstone - love your new piece also. The artwork & other decorative pieces make that area have a warm,cozy feeling

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wallis104,

Posts: 3097 | Location: Beautiful Chesapeake Bay, Md. | Registered: Dec 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gelato
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is some job, it came out gorgeous!

I would give up ice cream but I'm not a quitter.

Posts: 3597 | Location: Long Island, New York, Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post