Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Over the Moon Master Bath
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Over the Moon Master Bath Sign In/Join 
Picture of Jewel
posted
What one or two special features in a master bath would you find really enticing?

A heated floor? A TV behind the mirror that can't be seen until it's turned on? A towel warming rack? A steam shower?

Or.....?

What bath features would really make you drool?

Posts: 8186 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Put me down for a tv behind the mirror. Would love to have one!

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two features that have become highly desirable to me are a soaking tub and a hand-held device of some kind in the shower. Heated towel racks are nice because they help used towels to dry out quickly. A fireplace is a luxury if you live in a climate where you can use it often. Hidden plugs are great especially one in a cabinet so you can have a place for your hair dryer to be plugged in and stored. I also like appliance garages with plugs so things like electric toothbrushes, razors, etc. can be hidden when not in use. I get so tired of looking at all of the electric clutter on my counter top in the bathroom.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
First, it's MY bathroom Smile other features would be a soaker tub, heated floor and towel racks, tv behind the mirror and a large shower with dual shower heads. That's more than two, but that would be my dream bathroom.

Wanda

Posts: 4795 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
1. Very large walk-in shower/steam room with seating.

2. Bidet.

3. Heated towel rack.

4. Separate make up and hair styling vanity area.

5. Built-in Bose speakers

And, the entire bath must be self-cleaning. Smile

Posts: 5162 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Could someone invent that self cleaning part aychihuahua mentioned?!

I remodeled my master bath a few years ago, and my favorite parts are the cabinets I installed on either side of the double vanity. The are tall and slim, and store a ton. The inside of the cabinets have a vertical strip of outlets so that I can keep things like my hairdryer plugged in. I can open the cupboard, grab my hairdryer, and then set it back on the shelf without plugging it in and out. So handy.

I installed a hand held shower head in the shower and at the tub. Those really make cleaning/rinsing easy. Love those.

I regret putting in a tub with jets. I never use the jets as they make a lot of noise which bugs me. The jet openings are also hard to clean. Never again. Simple plain old tubs for me from here on out.

Everything else was simple. No heated floor as I felt I would never use that. No heated towel racks, I would never use that. I have no desire to watch TV in the bathroom.

I do like that I have a window that opens, as that keeps the bathroom fresh. I love a soft breeze.

The one thing I wish I had was room for a chair. When I am soaking in the tub my husband and I like to talk. I have a stool that slips under my make up area that he sits on, and that is ok, but I would love a comfortable chair for him. No room though. Frown

Added a pic of a little model I built when I was figuring out the layout of the cabinets. Just a quick study using a preliminary elevation and the plan view. I spray glued the pieces to foam core and cut them out using an exacto knife and a metal ruler. Super simple and quick. I totally recommend making models if you are remodeling a bathroom or kitchen.

Are you redoing your bath Jewel, or just thinking for fun? Maybe I've put way too much info on here.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Wait, here is a better photo of the cabinet layout. Very sketchy, quick model, but very useful.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we remodeled our master bath we had a heated floor installed. I can't tell you how divine it is when you step out of the shower! The room stays an even temperature all the time which is great for people like me who shiver with the slightest draft.

I agree with Cocok about a jetted tub. We had one in our previous home and never want one again. However, a nice deep soaking tub was a must-have this time around.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
I want a larger shower and a free standing tub.

Posts: 1089 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
good question~! thanks

1. soaking tub

2. large tv mounted on the wall so I could soak and watchSmile

3. heated floor- my tile is sooooooooo cold.

4. door thru to the laundry room

Posts: 9975 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
I love this thread... showering is one of my favorite activities

1. a Shower with access to a private outdoor garden and plenty of quick dry shelves in the shower for my 20 shampoo bottles.

2. a sink in the roomy WC - a powder room in the master bath, essentially.

3. TV behind the mirror

4. plenty of drawer storage

5. a Tall soaking tub.

6. discreet ADA compliant hand hold bars around the room, shower, bath and WC in case of slippery floors.

7. Most Important, a QUIET exhaust fan.

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:

LOLOL Smile

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
An over the moon bath? Well, too many quirks and things.

But just a couple of things I'd like added to mine:

1. A heated towel rack by the tub so I don't have to take the towel off until I'm done. Don't want it clear across the room! It would cool off too quickly (we linger where other people rush).

2. A wall of towels. OK, a LOT of towel storage up at waist height or higher. Don't want them stored below or in another room or linen closet outside of the bath. And we use a LOT of towels and washrags... hence a storage wall!

This is actually on the bathroom wishlist for when The Husband can get the time. We do have a wall we can install open shelving on. Since we use so many, rotation to keep dust at bay is not an issue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Indexlady,

Posts: 4404 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
quote:

LOLOL Smile

people at my house hate turning the lights on because the fan comes on, too, roaring like a lion. Big Grin

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Another doable thing on our list is the light fixture. We are installing one of those heat lamps. The wiring in both bathrooms is heatlamp ready, with all the different switches, etc.

Posts: 4404 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Also...

8. No shower doors or shower curtains

9. Heated marble or terrazzo floors (good idea)

10. personal palm frond waver.

Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wendek:

What??

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wendek:
Also...

Hope he's a cute one!! LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
aychihuahua,

YES!

Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Nice! I wonder how much that would cost?

Thanks for all the feedback. Our master bath remodel is in the plans, but prices are crazy. The first bid was $45,000!! We didn't ask for anything we feel warrants that price (no heated floors, no extensive cabinetry, no high-end fixtures, etc.) It's just nuts.

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first bid was $45,000!!

Does that include tiling the floors and/or walls and granite countertops?

Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Yes, tile floor and shower plus granite counters.

Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
A palm frond waver would probably cost as much as your remodel quote these days.
$45k sound like a complete tear down and start over price - nuts.
Im not an older person but I believe safety in the bathroom is a good idea like towel bars that could double as grab bars and taller elongated toilets ( for taller people i guess). Also think about convenient counter height. A good idea if you plan on staying there a long time. Smile
I look forward to seeing what you decide.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
My mind is not often literal, however my first thought from the (Over the Moon) title?

Wow,
The Moon.
Very little gravity there...how ya gonna get things to flush, and stay down where they are supposed to be?
Of course looking in the mirror...one might like the view... face lift? boob lift? even a back view might be a nice surprise? Big Grin

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
:::chuckling at Conrad:::

Big Grin

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
And then of course I had completely forgot about the mirror and DH! After all it is the MASTER bath, not the MRS's. Big Grin

At least that is what we tend to call it...we truly know the real title of it.
"To the moon, Alice!" Wink

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something I had once years ago in another house was a built-in vanity with drawers for makeup, hair products etc. - with proper lighting and mirror and small backless chair. We have a large masterbath but as I get older, standing for 1/2 an hour putting on makeup and doing hair is too much so I drag everything I need to the kitchen table...then back to the bathroom.

Posts: 734 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
simple a tub i could soak in and get up and out of, lol...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjf:

As long as "Pat Boone" was not involved! There are not many commercials that I jump for the remote to channel shift or mute. But any with old Pat Boone hawking the walk in tub...that does it for me. Big Grin

Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjf:

right, like a tall tub with stairs up and down. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
big tub with HD TV, colorful granite

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post