Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  OT Shipping and handling charges
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT Shipping and handling charges Sign In/Join 
posted
I ordered a decorative item online through paypal and paid with my Visa $30 plus $8.50 S&H A total of $38.50 charged to my card. The mailman knocks on my door and says I can have the package for an extra $17 S&H because it was sent the wrong way. I told him to return it because I wasn't paying that much extra. I contacted the seller and told her what happened and she said she would credit my Visa. Fine up to this point...she credited me the purchase price of $30 minus the S&H. This was her fault that it wasn't shipped correctly. I really don't think I should be paying the S&H on something that was her fault to begin with. Am I wrong before I go a cause a fuss over it? Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mountainbeach,

Posts: 565 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
Your not wrong and I don't think the mailman was suppose to knock and ask you for money???? The mailmen in my town leave the item and a note that they paid the shipping extra and you should leave it in the mailbox or give it to him next time you see him.

But yes, the lady should of paid you back for shipping...

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be fair to our mailman, he said before he delivered the package, I would owe an extra $17. He didn't want to just drop it off if I didn't agree to the extra postage. My OP did sound as if he asked for money, when it really wasn't that way. Thanks Smile

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Demand the full refund you are entitled to due to her error. You may have to deal with her supervisor, but have all details at the ready to state your case. Let us know the outcome.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I agree --since it was their fault -- you should receive a full refund or they should ship it again in the manner for which you paid.

Martha

Posts: 6007 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
She owed you the shipping back! And should have called you or written you an email to explain all to be clear.
ASK for your shipping money back. What a BAD seller! I would post a rating on her sale somewhere!

Posts: 9751 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Contact your credit card company and explain the circumstances as well.

Posts: 3429 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely ridiculous.

Contact Paypal. I'm pretty sure that this will not sit well with them, there are some "guarantees" through them. Worth a shot.

Posts: 1967 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Yes, she owes you the entire amount. She will get a bad rating if she continues with this (I'm assuming it is Ebay?)

Posts: 12712 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like someone sent the package COD, in error. Yes, you should definitely receive a full refund, IMHO. I'd check with paypal.

Good Luck!

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Contact paypal. I'm pretty sure if you file a dispute you will get your refund. It's the principle of the matter, not the amount. If you bought through ebay, I believe you could also dispute the extra charge through them. And definitely give her negative feedback.

Posts: 3270 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was through Etsy. I've sent her a message about refunding me the S&H and making it right (she hasn't answered me yet) before I dispute the charges with Visa. If Visa finds her in the wrong, is she then responsible to refund it back to my card? I've never disputed anything so I don't really know. She told me she was unable to pick it up at the post office when I returned it but never gave a reason why. I'm thinking, if she's telling anything near the truth, she's just refusing to pick it up because she has to pay the $25.50 return S&H and I only paid $20.00 for the item itself. She's out alot more money if she picked it up rather than just letting the post office claim it because she'll never sale it for enough to make up for her mistake. Why are people just so d*ng dishonest? All this so she can keep my $8.50 the thieving little tr*mp. I better go now since I'm getting ruffled Smile

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I have never bought from EBay or Etsy for this very reason tho I realize this is rare and impacts the seller's rating. I prefer to avoid any potential hassle. Fingers are crossed you receive a complete refund.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainbeach:
It was through Etsy. I've sent her a message about refunding me the S&H and making it right (she hasn't answered me yet) before I dispute the charges with Visa. If Visa finds her in the wrong, is she then responsible to refund it back to my card? I've never disputed anything so I don't really know. She told me she was unable to pick it up at the post office when I returned it but never gave a reason why. I'm thinking, if she's telling anything near the truth, she's just refusing to pick it up because she has to pay the $25.50 return S&H and I only paid $20.00 for the item itself. She's out alot more money if she picked it up rather than just letting the post office claim it because she'll never sale it for enough to make up for her mistake. Why are people just so d*ng dishonest? All this so she can keep my $8.50 the thieving little tr*mp. I better go now since I'm getting ruffled Smile

I've done a little selling on Etsy. I had one customer who, shall we say had issues.....she finally paid for an item after I held it 8 weeks due to her having "problems" with her Paypal account. Then she claimed it was never delivered and wanted her money back. Of course, I cover all bases when mailing items and traced it, turns out she wasn't home each time delivery was attempted and never went to the post office to pick it up, so it was finally returned to me. I refunded her item but not the S&H because I did what I was supposed to do. I sort of expected her to file a complaint but she didnt. I ignored her messages to resend it. Sometimes you just have to know when to call it quits.....i dont know why I rambled on....hope you get your refund

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Becky56,

Posts: 3270 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a veteran ebay shopper and have purchased over 200 things over the last 10 years for myself and clients. I have never once had a problem with returns or refunds. However, I protect myself by not shopping with sellers who have a rating under 98%. Sellers pride themselves in having 100% ratings and will usually bend over backwards to make sure you are a satisfied customer. I would email this person and tell them they have a week to make it right or you will contact Etsy and give them a bad review. Or contact Paypal and let them deal with it on your behalf.

Posts: 520 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I totally agree Susan. I don't even like to shop with a seller having less than 100%, but if I want their item bad enough I will read their feedback and take a chance if they are 98 or 99%.