Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  WEDNESDAY OPTION...NEED SOME QUICK FEEDBACK...Dining room table talk .PIC's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WEDNESDAY OPTION...NEED SOME QUICK FEEDBACK...Dining room table talk .PIC's Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
Back to the dining area...I don't know what I should do.

I sold the round/oval table. I am currently using my metal patio table in the DR.

My issue with the round table (42 in wide) is that with the sofa/buffet table on the back wall, the table wont sit in the center of the room.

I was thinking if I went with a thinner rectangle table I could center the table. It might still be tight with the table on the back dining room wall.

SO if I were to get rid of that table on the back wall, should I go with a LARGER round table or still stick with rectangle table? Either would be about to be centered with the buffet/sofa table gone.

What are the pro's/cons of a large round table, that stays round?

Link to ad:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org.../fuo/3877549089.html

Example:

This one is 48in wide.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Always1StepBehind,

Posts: 9432 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one is huge:

6o inches wide, pretty though.

Posts: 9432 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also liking this wood one, very rustic looking which I like.

I'm waiting to hear back on the measurements and it comes with a leaf.

posted Hide Post
But then I still go back to the issue of a wood top and needing to be real careful with the top as opposed to a glass topped table.

posted Hide Post
old picture before I painted that side table turquoise.

See how you can't center table?

posted Hide Post
pic to show size of dining area. I light is centered with the room facing the window, but is not centered to that back wall.

The length of the table as shown oval is 60 long.

posted Hide Post
First off..I love glass tables. That said....do you three eat all your meals at the table or do you eat in front of the TV? Do you have a place to put the aqua table? Can you move the hanging light over the table so it would be more centered over both window and back wall? I guess and JMHO I would get a round or rectangular glass table, not much bigger than 55 inches, move the aqua table out, center your light over the table and put a nice low pile rug under it. Keep the basket and plant. Your condo is nice but dining part is small so less is more. By the way, when my boys were small we used our round glass white patio table with a pretty cloth on it...upholstered the matching white wrought iron chairs with orange seats and used it for at least 4 years....no problem with it and sort of liked the light airy look.

love life

Posts: 1423 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply May. We are not a 3 meal at the table family, but we do use. Yes, I can have the light moved more to the right so it is centered if need be. I will wait till I get a table first though.

So if I am taking the turquoise table about of there, I pretty much have a clean slate to work with.

Now to find a table on CL. Still haven't heard back on the measurements of the rectangle table.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I love the 2nd round table and chairs....So so cute. I too love round tables. But if you move your console table out, where will you keep the computer? But I'm thinking you should take out the console, then get a laptop. I think that's the perfect solution.
I also think you then should go for a rectangle table, because you have been eyeing those for a while. I think the glass will look nice in your space. So give it a try Smile

Posts: 4584 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the camp for a round or small rectangular table - maybe one in the range of 34 x 60 which should seat 6 people. Maybe it's the camera but the rustic table looks massive for the space you have. Too big and with chairs out looks like you'd be up against the kitchen cabinets. Good luck in your search. Are you sticking only with what's on CL?

Posts: 3054 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Well if you are thinking of taking out the aqua table have you thought of putting a bench on that wall and then a rectangular table in front with two chairs.

I saw this on Jennifer Rizzo's blog and it may be another solution for you to consider.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the picture annie. Yes I have thought of a bench or banquet. But without having to hire someone to build a banquet, it would be easier for me to do a bench.

Well the oak rectangle is out. After the 2nd email asking for dimensions, they replied it had been sold. So I will keep watching craigslist.

My gut tells me to go with a rectangle vs a round. Sophie you are right, my eye has been on a rectangle table...farmhouse style.

I found this on the Orange County craiglist, but its a set and I would only want the table.

Nice size, 40 x 66

posted Hide Post
the seller of this above black table got back to me regarding selling separate from the chairs. I replied that I would do $150.-$175. for the table...He said he would take $180. to sell the table separate.

He also stated they have had a glass piece on the table top so the top is in perfect shape. He also stated the glass top was chipped so they didn't picture it with the ad.

I like the size, I like that I wouldn't have to paint it, it's already black...

Do you think $180 is too much still?

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Always,

What are your DR dimensions? Don't forget you need space to move the chairs in and out. I like the other round one with the white chairs too.

Is the black one 42" or 48" wide on the end?

Love the idea of adding a bench on the end to make a banquette type arrangemnet.

Good Luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9325 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice table and do get measurements, so you can figure spacing with the chairs pushed away from table. I still hope that table will be no more more than 36".

Posts: 3054 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The black table is 40 (2 inches LESS wide than my round table) and 66 (6 inches LONGER than when my round was made oval)

I have enough room in the DR. I will double check when I get home tonight. But I am pretty sue this will work.

What I really like is that the black table is a couple inches wider and 6 inches longer than the average rectangle. They usually run 36 x 60 or then next size in length is 72in which would be too long.

I am wanting to make whatever table I get this time to be the last one.

posted Hide Post
Haven't made a decision on whether I want to go after the black table..

my other option would be to do my own paint/stain on something like this.

They are only asking $50. says it's in excellent condition. It's expandable. The seller is supposed to get back to me with measurements..

What do you think? Go for the already done table or a $50. project table?

posted Hide Post
to stain and paint similar to this...

posted Hide Post
Is it weird that the "planks" run side to side instead of lengthwise on the $50. table. I'm guessing because it's expandable and has a leaf..

posted Hide Post
Need to make a decision of anyone can help out with some feedback...I just got an email from the seller of the black $180. table...so I guess it's still available..

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Always,

I've seen that $50 table. They are more "faux"
planks rather than real ones but they finish up nicely.

Posts: 7969 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I'm a troublemaker and am about to open a can of worms. I know you need a new table because you sold your old one. But last night when I was looking a your pictures I realized that the table (tables) aren't the problem IMHO, it's the chairs. I looked at the pics again today and feel the same way. The chairs look too big for the table and therefore, the whole thing doesn't work for the space. I don't know if they are too tall, or too squared on top, can't quite put my finger on it.
I like the black table but not the chairs.
The chairs look retro while the table is more "colonial" with the turned legs.
I wish I could be more specific but I think you need to keep looking for a set rather than just a table.
JMHO..

Posts: 1925 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jaysmom..Regarding the black table, I am only looking to buy the table, not the chairs...I will use my chairs.

OR are you talking about my current chairs??

Same with the $50. table I posted. It's just the table.

After a quick jaunt through consignment store today at lunch, I am reminded yet again that almost anything can be painted..bringing me back to finding something cheaper and paint/stain myself...even though it would be mighty easier to buy the already black table!!

I am just waiting on measurements on that $50. table...tick tock tick tock!!!

posted Hide Post
I still love my chairs though, I'm not ready to give them up!!!

And don't anyone say you like the round/oval table best cuz it's gone ;-)

posted Hide Post
I am talking about your current chairs. I can't put my finger on it but something doesn't work with them. You've changed tables several times and kept the same chairs. Perhaps it's time to think it's the chairs that aren't working, not the table. Just a thought.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just some thoughts to make you crazy.

What about something like this?

posted Hide Post
sorry pics are so small but I'm not good at re-sizing...

or these?

posted Hide Post
chairs

posted Hide Post
Last one

posted Hide Post
Jmom-are those off Craigslist? I can barely see them, but I will try looking them up if they are on CL.

posted Hide Post
think I got it larger...

posted Hide Post
Yup, and the Orange County CL. Tried to pick reasonable priced ones, too.

Furniture by owner. Dining sets, dining room.

The next to the last one has higher chairs but you get my drift. Have fun!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaysmom49,

posted Hide Post
Here's my personal favorite (larger). With new seat covers.....

posted Hide Post
Ok...I was wondering why I didn't see any of those you posted...I shop San Diego Craigslist, even though that one black table I did find on the OC Craigslist.

Of those, I like the glass Ikea table.

Remember when I was going through my queen anne leg phase?? Well my chairs were my quench for the curved leg, but still a casual look with the pine, yet a ladderback so I could still lean to cottage...

posted Hide Post
ok, I really need to get some things done.
Last one, from SDCL.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I must post this dining area again. Similar to the table you posted.

Posts: 7969 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaysmom49:
ok, I really need to get some things done.
Last one, from SDCL.

Jaysmom-Now I had posted another thread previously regarding using this table from Ikea with my chairs. Are you suggesting this table with my chairs or are you suggesting the set, matching table and chairs?

posted Hide Post
Off to work. A matched set would be up to you.
I just know I don't think you'll be happy with using the old chairs and a new table. Been there done that. Gotta go.

Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
I love a round table, but it seems they are often too big for the space by the back door (in my kitchen anyway) so a narrow rectangle would allow for space getting around it better.

Depends on how much you use your table and need table space, I think.

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wendek:
I love a round table, but it seems they are often too big for the space by the back door (in my kitchen anyway) so a narrow rectangle would allow for space getting around it better.

Depends on how much you use your table and need table space, I think.

I think I'm going to stick with a rectangle, just trying to decide if I want to go for that black one pictured to go with my chairs. I need to made a decision.

I already moved out my turquoise table from the dining room. I would put the black table oriented like the oval table pictured but with 2 chairs on each long side of table instead of a chair on each side. Does that make sense? I could always add a bench later if I want too.

I'm sorta letting fate play into my decision, if the black table is still avail today after work I will probably make arrangements to go get it. If it sells before then it wasn't meant to be.