Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  anyone here have plate collections hung?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone here have plate collections hung? Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
For Xmas I got three separate shed deer horns. I had been wanting some for awhile to intermix with the plates over these closets. Of course when we started to work on the project we realized that all the plates should be washed. Took them all down, stuck them in the d.w. and added some more to make a complete load.

Well of course I could not remember what went where. DH said print out this pic but our printer is not hooked up, so he said take a pic of the pic which did work, kind of. Anyway we got it done.

So, my advice to anyone else who decorates this way is to photograph your display before you start fooling with it! I guess this would apply to any kind of display if you really like it. . . a table setting, a mantelpiece etc.

In this case we would not even had had to upload it, just refer to the camera.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 13073 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good idea. I have taken pix of the hook-up for the tree lights. A previous tree was very difficult to get correct, so it came in handy. Also computer hook-ups. Anything to help with memory, especially with complicated set ups and memory getting worse.

Pictures would be good for a starting point for next year's holiday decor, especially if you like to change somewhat each year.

Possibilities are endless. Thanks for the reminder.

ETA: Didn't really answer your question. I am on the look out for interesting plates. Seems like when I go into a thrift shop, they are all worm, chipped and ordinary. I would like a collection to hang. I did save from late mil's one Blue Ridge Pottery plate. Not in pristine condition, but not too bad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strings,

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6370 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Also good for insurance purposes. One plate falls and not a big (financial) deal. But if a large display or collection were to fall, at least you would have documentation. Good idea for your jewelry and antiques, too.

Good idea LOS!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3472 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Indeed, taking pics makes it a breeze to replicate if dismantled. Case in point, I made a floral arrangement for my SIL to place by her jacuzzi, but it was not inserted into floral foam as I customarily do since we had none and the vase was a tall, slim mouthed, metal one. Since I live hours away from her, I advised her to take a pic of it should she need to fix it down the line.

Posts: 18778 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did some led lights and "crystals" under the dome of a cake stand. Wish I had taken a photo of it before Christmas. In the photos, it doesn't look as good as I thought it looked. Took the photos as a before and after as I changed it for Valentine's. Will need a lot of tweaking. May even try in a bowl instead of the cake plate.

Maybe taking photos also could give a prospective that don't get irl.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6370 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I totally agree -- take pictures of anything that you take down that may be complicated to put back -- I've done that! And it was a brilliant!

Martha

Posts: 6343 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Indeed, taking pics makes it a breeze to replicate if dismantled

Not really the same thing but you remind me Froo that when I receive flowers for special occasions, I photograph them and email the pic to the sender to not only thank them but so they can see the actual arrangement!

Picture of CER
posted Hide Post
Not right now but I have this saved in inspiration photos...shhhh, sometimes I need to be inspired.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Michiana | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kw2
posted Hide Post
I used to but I took them down when we re-did the kitchen.

Posts: 4297 | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
two pretty and quite different depictions of this idea!

posted Hide Post
Some displays of china collections are very tasteful. However used to go to Aunts home and she had hundreds of plates on her wall and because there were so many, I couldn't focus on the beauty of plates cuz there were just too many. Used to think everything but her normal dishes, were up on the walls. I think her collection just got out of hand.
I have 4 Meakin Audobon plates hanging on a narrow wall in my kitchen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mamaspoon,

Posts: 3162 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have 4 Meakin Audobon plates hanging on a narrow

My DSIL is a birder so I made him 6 decoupage plates from an Audubon calendar for his recent b.d. I think he really was pleased. Put hangers on them so they can do that if they choose.

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
No, but I love them...however, DS had plenty of planes hanging & sitting in his room back in the day...Smile

Posts: 2925 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post