Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  What color curtains
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What color curtains Sign In/Join 
Picture of Jeanette
posted
I am redoing my Salon and want to do some kind of window treatment.Need your help on color.This is the floor i put in

Posts: 1409 | Location: Conway, S.C. HORRY | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeanette
posted Hide Post
this is a picture of the window.This is a old picture befor i moved in

Posts: 1409 | Location: Conway, S.C. HORRY | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this a hair salon? Do you want curtains for privacy or just to dress up the windows?

Posts: 558 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
So much potential! give us an idea of the direction you are headed as far as style, color, etc.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeanette
posted Hide Post
Just to dress up the windows,

posted Hide Post
I guess it depends a little bit on what sort of look you are trying to achieve. Luxurious? Hip? Cozy? Modern? Fabric will hold onto odors, so would that be the best choice for a salon or would you be better off with shutters or blinds that can be washed?

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charcoal curtains with deep ivory walls.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I think it will definitely depend on what colors you are using in the salon and the style of decor also.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Normally I would suggest you line the panels so they are ivory from the street. However, in this instance you may want to consider pattern on both sides to attract passers by. My first thought would be a sort of traditional pattern in neutral with a ball or tassel fringe on the leading edge. http://www.calicocorners.com/p...mask/pliana+sisal.do Tie them back so they have a graceful fall to them. If you want a more modern look, skip the fringe but band them in a contrasting solid. If the window gets a lot of sun, consider outdoor fabric.

If you decide to use the window for displaying merchandise, you should probably use a solid fabric on the outer side so the products take center stage. I would still trim the leading edge with something (fringe or banding) so they have contrast.

Posts: 558 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you considering products other than curtains? With a Custom Graphic shade, you can print logos and advertisements for a store front.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Not sure of the decorating style you want for your salon but have you considered the solar shades? They have some nice textures now instead of plain vinyl. There are different weaves to the shades for how much light comes through them. You can order sample swatches too.

http://www.solar-screen-shades...oth.htm#.USYzAFdhuSo

Another option is to use outdoor fabrics if you decide to use curtains.

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/...ibvalue=&listIndex=3

http://www.potterybarn.com/pro...bric&cm_src=Quickbuy

Are you allowed to paint the outside? The white could be either the same blue or the cream color.

Good Luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9512 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeanette
posted Hide Post
ok here are the front windows

Picture of Jeanette
posted Hide Post
the other side

Picture of Jeanette
posted Hide Post
This is the wall color and the floor

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I would not do curtains.
I would do a window film, they have all sorts of patterns and colors out there.

I would pick a color scheme first for your shop that are YOUR colors unique to your shop.

I need a haircut! But, you are too far for me to drive! LOL

Posts: 9816 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Your space looks very pretty!!! I like the windows with all of that natural light!

Do you want privacy or just something to soften the window frames? A pretty ( lined ) patterned panels would look nice.

Posts: 3270 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you have finished reno's, moved in, and are in business! Congratulations!

I would do very full sheers for partial privacy. If you want a more girly look you could even use lace. If I were that customer near the window I'd feel very exposed with no privacy from anyone walking by on the sidewalk. If you want a more decorative treatment use tied back panels at the ends as well. These could be the same sheer fabric or plain or printed fabric and ideally lined as they hang and look better. I would prewash all fabrics so everything is washable. Nothing worse in a business than seeing less than pristine curtains.

Alternatively you could hang cafe curtains either to windowsill length or floor length. The top of the window would than be left uncovered. I would have the level where even a tall person could not look in. Sheers or lace do not completely block views but do give a feeling of more privacy.

Shutters over the lower part of the window would also work. Depends on the decorating style you want.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12754 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a business, so it's all about image. What image do you want to project to people walking by on the street? Who is your customer base? What demographic are you targeting? If you're giving poodle perms to purple hairs, granny curtains are good - velvet, tassels and tie backs. But if you want to promote a younger, hipper, and hopefully returning, client, what about a faux-bamboo roller shade? Doesn't absorb odors, it can be rolled down if you have a prob with afternoon sun/heat; and low maintenance. Or what about just a cool valance? And consider coordinating your inside decor with your blinds, or vice-versa. The main thing here is to think about your market and focus your decor and color choices on the clientele you're hoping to attract. Or you could do a cool valance with a roll-down shade of some type; it would be hidden behind the valance when you didn't need it, but could be let down if necessary. Or, for a few more bucks, you could get a custom roller blind with your logo on the outside so it faces the street.

Posts: 31 | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you though about some sheer tiers with tie backs? This way you can open them up for sunlight or close them to restrict some of the sun light. Something with bright colors? Maybe a valance to add on top of the sheers? It's all about personal preference and what goes with the atmosphere of your shop. I just got some cheap valances on this site called swags galore.

Good luck.

James M Cretea

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Nice looking salon. I travel through Conway, SC about every 6 weeks. MIL lives in Myrtle Beach.

As for what to do about the windows, I prefer the windows undressed in a hair salon. There are so many hair products used that window treatments could become magnets for dust and products used. That's just my thoughts. If you decide on a window treatment, it must be something that would hold up to being laundered often.

Best of luck in your new business.

Posts: 9012 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Jim apparently had been busy resurrecting old posts for his advertising purposes!

Posts: 3270 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post