Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mirror cover up Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a tall and wide antique piece that was once a built-in hutch. It has framed mirrors along the back and sides in the first section above the drawers that is around 15" high. I don't want to remove the mirrors, because they are framed in. Also, I don't know what I would find behind the mirrors if I were to remove them. I don't want to maybe ruin this piece that I love so much.

I would like to cover up the mirrors, because this piece is directly across from my bed. The last thing that I want to do is watch myself sleep at night. It is also kind of scary that the first thing that I see in the morning is how I look when I wake up. lol

I am not very good with crafts and I cannot sew a stitch.

Thank you for any help that you can give to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Taylored,

Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
There are lots of sources these days for decorative films (and decals) for glass and mirrors: some can be easy DIY and some can be more complex or customized.

Here is just one source that could give you some ideas and inspiration. http://www.decorativefilm.com/

You can find these sometimes in the big box home improvement stores.

Posts: 5270 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
You could glue either paper or fabric to the mirror. You could also paint the mirror. Nothing will hurt the mirror but the fabric or paper would be ruined (probably) if you want to take them off.

I do decoupage on glass which is what mirror is so it is easy to do. Maybe you could glue on family photos?

Another thing you could do would be to cut pieces of cardboard that are the same sizes as the mirror sections and wrap fabric around the cardboard (gluing it down in back) this would give a more finished look to the project and cover the glass. If you did this the pieces could just be "tacked" to the mirror with small amounts of hot glue, using a glue gun.

Posts: 12551 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I too was going to suggest covering cardboard cut to fit and covering it with fabric. A thin sheet of batting between cardboard and fabrics would give it an upholstered effect. Simply invest in a glue gun and glue sticks to adhere the fabric wrapped around the cardboard pieces about an inch or so all around. Temporarily adhere the cut out upholstered boards via double sided tape sold in rolls or sticky backed male/female Velcro tabs or strips. The fabric should compliment your room scheme. Stripes and dots are fun as is a black and white damask or even a solid. If you are new to glue guns, they are easy to use, but can burn. One safety tip is to have a bowl of ice water nearby just in case a drop of hot glue hits your skin. Another glue stick tip is to refrigerate the sticks a while. It is said to reduce the formation of strings when heated, but strings are not difficult to clean up however. This project is doable for novice crafters. Optionally. Using wallpaper applied to foam core cut to fit is another way to go.

Posts: 18659 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
There are lots of options including the fabric as already mentioned.

You could also use chair caning and paint it a color. Use double sided tape or glue dots to apply it just in case you need to remove it later.

http://woodworker.com/12-wide-...=caning&searchmode=2

Have fun with your project!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9435 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Could you possibly post a picture of the piece? I am trying to imagine what you are talking about and am having a hard time. If you are talking about something like this photo I found on the web, then it would be easy to use the space for something like a bookshelf, and the books would obscure the mirror enough to make it hard to see yourself in the morning.

Posts: 7182 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post