Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Houzz Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
Was the site of the day on my desk top home page.
Imagine my surprise when I went to check on living rooms on the site and the first designer that came up was from my county!

It looks like they have an awful lot of photos

Do many of you frequent this site and is it overwhelming or user friendly?

Posts: 12792 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny you should bring this up, as I was just on that site this morning, and that is only maybe the third time I have looked at it. Personally, I find it overwhelming, but maybe if one was searching for something in particular it would be a good resource. Lots of beautiful photos for sure.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
The site records YOUR zip code and then emails or sends you YOUR area contractors. They have become a site that advertises local (to their followers), I got my update with featured builders in my area and property upgrades in my area, not Maine nor other states, but states that touch Florida or the South East. Clever marketing tool. The more time we spend online the more information is gathered to customize the ads for target audiences.

I also get emails and updates from Houzz to recommend good contractors in my area and to rate them!

Posts: 9767 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it frequently, usually for specific projects.

We delete "cookies" to reduce and/or eliminate the targeted advertising. OTOH, some people like the ads. So, up to you -

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Houzz is a fantastic resource for concepts and interior design shots of entire rooms. Their photos are curated and look amazing. And their newsletter/blog content is quite good as well ("This Week on Houzz"). I like their articles and home profiles.

For kitchens specifically, you might want to check out Cultivate (www.cultivate.com), which is a part of the Williams-Sonoma family of websites. They are kind of like Houzz, but really focus on kitchen design and products.

For home products (furniture, etc.), you should check out Resembl (www.resembl.com). Their search and filtering functionality is really amazing if you're looking for specific colors or styles.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
I was just there last night looking at white kitchens..
I like to look but I dont post or comment there.

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9988 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
The site records YOUR zip code and then emails or sends you YOUR area contractors.

O.K. Mary Ruth that explains it. Sometimes this new world is beyond me! LOL

Posts: 12792 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Love Houzz too.

Mary Ruth, What browser are you using? I don't get that type of ad. You can also set your browser for "private" browsing.

It's usually all about the computer settings behind the scene.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9461 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I've been using Houzz for a few years now. I have several ideabooks and always find great examples of what I'm looking for. A great place for ideas.

If you sign up you can get their weekly e-mails about design.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7482 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Beau's Rose,
I get the weekly e-mails and in the email content was listed contractors in my zip code. It was fun to view some of the new homes near here.

I saw the private browsing too.. thanks!

I just upgraded Firefox, now I get an extra page open up with ads!!! grrrrr... spam attack! LOL

Posts: 9767 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post