Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning Finds 4/15/13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Finds 4/15/13 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
Happy Monday, Happy Tax Day (well, not really).

Sorry for the late start this morning but let's get started Smile Please share pictures or just tell us about any great treasures you've found. They can be old or new or anywhere in between.

Let's play....

Posts: 10407 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good morning, Skyler. It's a dark, cold and rainy day today. I'm glad that I mailed all of my tax documents last week so I could enjoy the weekend. I wish the new Nora Roberts book was out today instead of tomorrow because today would be a terrific time to cuddle by a fire and read. Of course, later in the week, the temperature's supposed to be in the high 70's/low 80's. I don't have anything to share today, but I'm looking forward to seeing what others have to show.

Posts: 1739 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Hi Gracie, I'm hoping to enjoy everyone's finds too Smile

Pretty dreary and rainy here too....are you in CA? I was planning on doing a lot of gardening today but those plans were washed away (literally)!

I'm a big reader but have never read Nora Roberts. I see her books all the time so maybe I should give them a try. Thanks!

Hope our fellow decorators have some goodies to share on this dreary, rainy Monday!

Posts: 10407 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Hi last night we had a sky that was flashing lights and very faint thunder, it went on all night. We had little flash downpours then calm.
Today is almost perfect, beautiful and sunshine! (sun has to shine someplace and glad it is here today!)

I have a CL find. I emailed the CL listing (photo is from CL). It is an Empire, late 1800's piano stool. It was listed for $20. I also was happy to have met a wonderful lady who was selling it and we talked a bit, she has similar taste like me (don't you love it when that happens?)
Stool is solid Mahogany, has a repair on the bottom, 21" tall with swivel seat, 14" seat and 16" wide at the feet. So, it is a great scale!

Thank you for posting MMF's! I checked this AM and didn't see the post, so here I am after going to my appointment, and the thread was up!
You are a sweetie for doing this thread for us! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm
*****We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are! ***** (Anaias Nin)***** http://pinterest.com/mary_ruth/

mahog stool Empire

Posts: 9545 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skyler, I'm in south Orange County, so not too far away from you.

Mary Ruth, it is nice when you meet someone with whom you share an interest. Will you be using your stool for its intended purpose or in a different way?

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Gracie,
Do not have a piano, and I was looking for a stool for the island in the kitchen which will be at counter height. This stool is perfect for that height! And if it does not work out, I can use it as a stool in the Master bedroom. Our bed is real high and hard to put shoes on when sitting there, so we needed a few extra seats.
OOH... just thought of placing it in my closet perhaps!
No matter where it goes it will please me!

The lady was so nice, she gently said 'I washed the cover for you'! What a sweetie, we exchanged numbers as she is starting to downsize and wanted my number to show me a few things first. I told her I do not need much, because I have downsized and am continuing to! But you never know if she has something that would upgrade something I have!

This stool could make a great plant stand as well since the seat rotates (with protection for that great needlepoint seat cover!)

I was not feeling well after I got home (another cortisone shot in my ankle this AM) I was sore, and didn't feel like being online long when I first posted the stool. I have 4 more weeks with the 'boot'! sigh... oh well I did improve so that is a plus.

I will post it now. The lady I bought the stool from showed me this mirror when she saw how excited I was about the stool. She offered it to me for $10. Of course I said YES!

It is 13 1/2" and 16 1/2" tall. I wanted to hang a wall of thick (textured) framed mirrors in one guest room. So, I have this and another one now. LOVE it! The frame has a deep reveal and no flaws, also came from an auction like the stool did, and sold then as an antique.

The picture shows wood at the bottom as a reflection in the mirror. This is my wardrobe unit in the den. I will be antiquing the mirror in this frame. The frame is old, but the mirror is not (very thick and heavy)

mirror

Posts: 9545 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
MR -- how do you antique a mirror? I've seen it and sometimes I think with an older mirror it might look better if you had one that was "antique".

Martha

Posts: 5476 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
It depends on the mirror, this one might need paint stripper on the back side.

posted Hide Post
That's a great looking frame on that mirror, Mary Ruth.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
MR -- tht mirror is TDF! Love the stool as well. Looks like you might have struck the "motherlode"!!!

Martha

Posts: 5476 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Gotta love that lil stool Mary Ruth. It's just so cute. Smile

Posts: 4595 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, great finds. Just love both.

As usual, a day late and a dollar short. I know that Easter is over. I got these plates at JoAnn's for 70 percent off. Still not a good price since they were so overpriced to begin with. Only 5 left, so got all of them. Wish there had been more, even one more would have been better. Hope they will go with the napkins and placemats that I made several years ago. They are brighter than these plates. I just love seeing the lovely table settings on here and have such dish envy. The other one I got is much prettier and just have one of those, so it will be for display.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6205 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, ya I got a late start yesterday. We had a confirmation to go to and didn't get home until midnight so I slept a little late Wink

Your stool is great! I really like the chunky bottom. Nice looking piece. I like your mirror too. Sounds like you made a nice friend!

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well and hope your ankle is better very soon. You're so sweet to share with us, thank you!

Gracie, ah yes we aren't too far from each other at all. Today looks like a better day than yesterday...bye bye rain.

Strings, we don't mind that it isn't Monday we still love to see finds Smile Your plates are so pretty and cheerful. I bet they will look wonderful on your Easter table. At least you were able to get five. Thank you for posting.

posted Hide Post
Those plates are so cute, Strings! I hope they match your napkins and placemats. I love buying holiday items when they are on sale after the holiday. My only problem is that I have to make sure I remember where I put the item(s) a year later. Big Grin

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Gracie, Thanks!

Linderhof,
I love the good experiences I have had buying on CL! I have really been lucky. The trick is to communicate a lot before checking out the actual location (and piece).

lilsophie,
Thanks and it fits with my favorite style!

Strings,
Thanks! 70% off! That is a great deal! I love the soft colors.

Gracie,
In my retirement home... we are making storage, so I will keep holiday items in one place, that will help me remember where I put things as I age! LOL (age more than I currently am! LOL)

The legs on the stool are the same as my dining room table legs (old CL photo of my DR table legs under the pedestal)/

posted Hide Post
Thank you Skyler, Graciepj, and Mary Ruth. I hope to get them added to the other Easter items I have stored away. I sure wouldn't have paid full price for them.

This photo was made a while ago. Napkins are double and the other side of the placemat is the stripe. Don't have a pix of them together.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strings,

Strings

posted Hide Post
I did make these for someone else and didn't give them. I do have a yellow tablecloth and a pink one too that might work with them. Also the agua one isn't too bad with the first set of napkins and placemats. Don't have placemats with the blue napkins and I think only 6 of them. Maybe only 4. The first napkins I have 12 of them and a bread basket liner. Had taken these photos when someone on the sewing board was asking what to do with a serger.

I did use monofillament thread and should have loosened the tension more. Learn by mistakes. Think all the napkins are about 18 inches square.

Opps....forgot the photo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strings,

Strings

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Strings,
NICE print! I really LIKE the print and the colors!

I can't wait till I pull out my sewing machine and make some things for my house.

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
no shopping but moved my mother's desk to a different position in the lr...it was depressing listening to the news, it was easier to move furniture...

i'm leaving the coffee table behind the sectional to give me storage space for pillows, and lr junk...

Posts: 8489 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SJF, I know what you mean about the news right now. Moving furniture would definitely be preferable.

Strings, it looks like your plates might go with both sets. I think the striped side of the brighter set might work better, though.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
This is my favorite thread every week, so as I was reading it and came to Mary Ruth's find it reminded me of one I had tucked away. Tonight I brought it in from the garage, and started working on it.

I found this little child's chair last summer. I was driving down a street and noticed a yard sale. The man who lived in the house had been an antiques dealer for most of his life, and his health had gone bad, and so his son was clearing out the property so the man could move into assisted living. As the son was bringing out this little chair he had dropped it and cracked the back slat which was too bad. Because of the damage he had put a price of 8.oo on it. I figured it would be worth trying to fix, even if I only used it to have tea parties with my little grand daughter. It is just her size - notice the height of the chair in relation to the outlet on the wall.

So far so good. The cracks fit together nicely. I have got one crack glued up and drying and will do the others tomorrow. Hopefully it will be fine. Not too much to loose if it doesn't work. Hope it does though as I love the shape and size of the chair, and the seat cushion is needlepoint in a very nice pattern and pretty colors.

Beautiful stool and mirror Mary Ruth, and cute Easter bargains Strings. Easter will roll around again before you know it!

PS. Weird lighting! That's what I get for taking a picture at night without a flash. Yowser!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

Posts: 7100 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Cocok -- I thought it was the same but it isn't -- a couple of years ago I bought this chair -- it's not a twin but I think it is a cousin!

Martha

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
cocok,
What a GREAT chair. I love juvenile sized chairs, they are so quaint. I think he needlepoint is wonderful too!

Linderhof,
What a beautiful chair! You are right it is as if it were a cousin.

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Strings, very pretty napkins and placemats. I bet your Easter table will be beautiful. One thing I love about Spring and Easter are all the great colors. You're so lucky to be able to sew. There are so many times I can't find what I want and think about how nice it would be if I could just sew my own. thank you for sharing your pretties.

sjf, even if you didn't do any shopping at least you were productive!

Cocok, what a great looking chair. I love all the delicate details on it. I hope your mending works and you and your grand daughter have many wonderful tea parties.

BTW, thank you for posting. I usually title this thread MMF/Favorite Finds because I like folks to post recent or favorite goodies. It gives those who haven't found anything recently to still be able to participate in the thread.

Linderhof, your chair is lovely too. I agree, it does look like a cousin of Cocok's chair.

posted Hide Post
What sweet little chairs, Cocok and Linderhof. I love the wood and the carving.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Oh, Linderhof, wouldn't our chairs look cute together at the same little tea table. Thanks for posting that picture!

Posts: 7100 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that it is not Monday but I wanted to show my red polka dot china that I just got. I also have this on the post that I have that I am looking for this.

So here goes, I am not fully satisfied with the plates as they have white bottoms and rims but the red matches as do the dots.

I can't wait to use them.

Wanda

Posts: 1731 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Hi gmvj! I ADORE your polka dot china.....I'm a sucker for anything with polka dots on it but especially china. Doesn't it just make you smile Smile

I know you've been looking for additional pieces and you might want to try Home Goods. I've had my eye on the green polka dot china there but it's always sold out .

posted Hide Post
Just typed a long post and it went somewhere. So frustrating.

Cocok, what a nice little chair. A very close relative to Martha's chair.

Sjf, you found a storage solution.

Sraciepj, thank you for putting the plates with the napkins and placemats. Think you are right about the stripe side being better. For a large family meal, wouldn't use the placemats. Only 4 of them, but made 12 napkins. Not sure how many in the blue set of napkins.

Martha, like your little chair too.

Skyler, thank you. They are not hard to make. Can put a narrow hem on the napkins if no serger.

Gmvj, glad you found your polk dot china. They do make on smile.

Thank you again Skyler for starting this thread each week.

Strings

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
gmvj -- love your polka dot china! It can be used in so many different ways!

Martha

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
gmvj,
I LOVE the dishes! The white edges really highlight the dishes! Good find!

I think MMF's also usually goes on a few days past Monday... no worries!

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
late to the party, but I found this last week on clearance. Now I have to decide what to plant in it. It's 6" across and has a drainage hole in it. Anyone have ideas?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
nance,
What a cute planter! And it offers so many great color options!
Not too late to share!!!