Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Bedroom color scheme help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedroom color scheme help Sign In/Join 
posted
Well I just redid my bedroom and painted it a burgundy with beige accents. I'm thinking I need to add a 3rd color for window treatments / lamps. I'm having trouble adding 3rd color, but think it would look nice because the two colors I have is a bit simple. Anyway, I was leaning towards like an olive green, but don't want the room to look like Christmas. Maybe the two colors I have will be enough and beige window dressings will offset the burgundy of the walls. Either way, I'm open to opinions and help. Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: A. james,

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The addition of chocolate brown would ground the color scheme and take away the "holiday" appearance. Look for pattern in bedding or a rug like this one http://www.boldrugs.com/Safavi...d-Burgundy-rugs.html

Posts: 783 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Welcome "A". I like Cavin's idea of the chocolate brown.

Cute pupper too. Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4795 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Love the dog! And love that you painted the ceiling the same color as the walls!

Sorry no idea for third color, other than plum.

Posts: 4404 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi and Welcome!

Pull some fabrics that you like and work their colors into the room. I like ones that are multi-colored so you are not "locked" into one specific color. You could also use a stripe that has 3 or 4 other colors.

I can't really tell the actual shade from your pic but here are some fabrics that might work. It really depends on what style/look you are wanting to achieve.

http://www.housefabric.com/Win...low-Fabric-C629.aspx

This one would give you lots of different options with color choices to mix in your scheme. This site also allows you to order a swatch to decide if the fabric works with your other items.

Good Luck and please show us updates!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9315 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would you consider adding crown molding the same color as your window and door trim? I think it would give the room a "crisp" feeling and really set off the ceiling color.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GypsyDancer52
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to say I love your bed "decoration", lol. So cute!

Posts: 148 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. This has given me some ideas. I need to kick my butt into gear and finish it off. It's one of those things where you live with it for a while and it just becomes "normal" and you tend not to even realize it's unfinished. But with the input, I'm going ahead within a week...and still haven't fully decided.

And my pup appreciates all the attention. Too bad my other one wasn't in the photo. He's jealous.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: A. james,

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
and this whose bedroom??? lol lol...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sarah Ann
posted Hide Post
Love the doggie! Smile
I would go with a multi-color stripe curtain but with the main color being cream. Check out JC Penney or Target.

-----------------------
Grandmas my name & spoilins my game!
------------------------

Posts: 1911 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Feb 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I agree with the suggestion to add white crown. It will pop against the richly saturated walls. I
Would not introduce another dark color such as the chocolate brown recommended. I encourage you to introduce print such as the paisley posed that features a bit of the burgundy, beige and a third accent which you can scatter around the room via a throw, pillows and accessories. Optional prints could be nature inspired, multi stripes, a plaid or graphic. The print will establish visual interest and dictate your scheme. deeply saturated reds can still be teamed with certain greens like the olive in that paisley without evoking a Christmas feel. Burgundies are often teamed with camels, golds, light grays, blues to name a few. BTW, the print can be found in art, window treatments, pillows, a stool, bench or chair or rug.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about using wallpaper or wall murals on one of the walls? Might add some sophistication to your room that you didn’t think was possible. I'm even thinking the wall behind your bed.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be alone here but I think if you add another dark color, you suffer the chance of too "heavy heavy".
I like Sarah Ann's idea of a cream pattern in the window treatment.
A creamy white crown molding is another good idea to tone down the heavy dark look.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Actually I love the color of the duvet cover with the walls.

You seem to be a confident enough decorator that you will come up with the perfect third color or maybe decide you don't want one.

But my suggestion would be a citrusy lemon/green.

Posts: 12135 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
BEFORE YOU BOTHER TO ANSWER THIS PLEASE NOTE,THIS IS AN OLD POST BROUGHT TO THE TOP BY
"LAURA THE SPAMMER".... Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annie17,

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Thanks Annie, I did not notice. Boy some people are aggravating!

Posts: 12135 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post