Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  any texans on here
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

any texans on here Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm moving down there and all the houses I've been looking at on line seem to be painted in pale blue or gray and light green. Is that common there? It's pretty but different from what I'm used to and I wonder if my furniture is going to work.

Posts: 2323 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are familiar with http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/, the author features a lot of pastel rooms with white slipcovered furniture and sisal rugs. On the other hand, I have a client who lives near Richmond, and in their neighborhood many of the homes feature rich earth tones and greens.

I'm pretty sure Aychihuahua, who is a regular poster here, is from Texas. She will probably weigh in when she sees your topic, with lots of good information.

Posts: 3344 | Registered: Jul 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Posts: 2323 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Don't let a wall color stop you from buying a house that is otherwise ideal. Paint is the least expensive way to change a space.

Posts: 18801 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
In my area of Central Texas, just north of Austin, I have yet to see a home with a pale pastel interior -- and I moved here 11 years ago. I don't think folks in my neck of the woods are that trendy. Smile

It's a big state, so can find just about any kind of decorating style in Texas you want. Big urban areas like Houston and Dallas are quite sophisticated and somewhat more traditional; Austin is kind of hip/funky; the Hill Country and West Texas have the most stereotypical Texas architecture and decor, with an emphasis on wood and stone.

Then there's the Gulf coast; where you can find a myriad of semi-tropical coastal decor.

But these are stereotypes. Anything goes in Texas. Look to your natural surroundings and overall architectural style of your new home for decorating clues.

And, welcome to Texas!

Posts: 5373 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a Dallas suburb. I know it can be painted but not by me. I'm too old. I've just been looking on line but have an agent there and ready to get serious. Went to get my grandson today and we.re going to get rid of a lot of stuff this week. Thanks for the welcome. My neighbor has a grandson in Austin. My son's down there.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
The Greater Dallas RE market is going crazy; I have friends there looking on their own for a small condo near a DART station, and it has been challenging.

Good to hear you already have an agent. Best of luck, Sis. And keep us posted.

Posts: 5373 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My agent here came by today and said my house should sell really quickly if we can get it on the market soon. Problem is Texas agent hasn't found anything and isn't holding out much hope. I'm not sure what to do now and am really getting uncomfortable.

posted Hide Post
I second what's been said - it's a BIG state with all kinds of people and tastes. I don't care for pastels and don't have any in my house (I prefer earth tones).

I don't know about the real estate market in Dallas, but Austin is CRAZY (and not necessarily in a good way for those of us who are not selling and are seeing our property taxes go out of control). It's enough to make me want to sell if we had anywhere to go!

Good luck!

Posts: 4169 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post