Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  KRAFTMAID VANITIES ANYONE?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KRAFTMAID VANITIES ANYONE? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
Hi gang. Today we ventured into Lowes for a plumbing gizmo and since I am in the market for two bathroom vanities DH encouraged me to check out what that box store had to offer. Naturally no one was at the dept desk being it was after early mass so I picked up a brochure. The Kraftmaid brand jumped out as one I have heard mentioned before. I must say that I don't let a pretty face sway me and I did some Web research. The majority of reviews were negative tho some advised that this brand not be purchased thru Lowes or HD saying they receive inferior cabinets in that brand vs ordering thru an independent dealer. I don't know if that claim has merit or not, but the Web is full of complaints...enough to give me pause. There was a few happy customers with ideas as to why others were dissatisfied. Just wondering if anyone here has had experience with this brand and if happy, were they purchased through a box store? Negative box store threads have popped up from time to time on this board tho they may have addressed their sub contractors vs cabinetry (?).

I must mention that I will probably go a semi custom brand as I want sturdiness, but not high end pricing. I have my eye on Bertch brand which I saw in a bath store, but since I need two, it's quite pricy. Anyone familiar with that brand?

BTW, I am still investigating countertops...granite or quartz.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18386 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you will find if you deal with a local cabinet maker, you will get more for your money. Don't let the idea of custom intimidate you into thinking it means expensive. The box stores are notorious for having high prices on cabinets. Local shops are also more likely to give you better service.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Froo, Here's a link to a discussion about cabinet companies that you might find interesting. I think you might find the Gardenweb Bath forum to be very helpful during your project.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forum...sg0113105317289.html

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
And when you're doing your counters - go w/ a kitchen cabinet/counter place - not Lowes/HD.

I even got a steal of a deal on my sink thru the counter guy. The only thing I didn't do, which I wish I would have done - is go in and physically make sure everything was there prior to install.

They forgot to order the right sink and it wasn't caught til the install day. Roll Eyes

There had been plenty of time since i was tying the install in around spring break.

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5537 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
i guess dh and i lucked out... not sure of the brand but have one vanity (bought double sink cause we could)and it's held up quite well, for past 10 years..had to replace one glide last year)

the other is a 24" single which is a painted piece(white) and now, since i have "trained" dh to cover the top with a towel when using his daily hairspray, i'm sure the ordinary white will last for some time...both were from the big 2...

frankly don't know i'd want granite, with the harsher cleaners we use in bathrooms...you certainly would have to take care nothing stained...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjf,

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post