Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning Finds! for 8-12-13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Finds! for 8-12-13 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted
Filling in for Skyler and Beau's Rose (who usually covers for Skyler, but could not do so this time due to scheduling).

Due to my admiration for what Skyler does with this Monday Morning Finds thread, I offered to fill in until she gets back from vacation.

This MMF's thread does so much more for our community here than just show our 'finds', it also lets us gather for such a positive activity. We share our treasures and also share in the excitement of what other friends have found.

If you didn't find anything this week, that is OK, post something you found some time back and think it was such a great find, that you want to share how you used it!

Please share pictures or just tell us about any great treasures you've found. We always love to hear prices too.

Let's start sharing...

As for me:
I have a HUGE dental appointment this AM, so I won't be checking back here until around 11 AM EST or so.

Posts: 9782 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found beautiful, plain white cotton drapery panels on the Pottery Barn website. They were cheaper than buying the same ones in the store,plus the website offered an additional 10% off. So the Cameron Cotton Drapes that I saw at The Short Hills Mall on Sunday for $45 per panel, I bought online for $34.20 per panel. Can't wait to get them.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Charles D,
OH MY you are having a GREAT week! Can't wait to see them!

You take such care with each part of your decor coming into your home, LOVE seeing the progress!

I looked them up online (didn't know what they looked like) and they look really nice on the Pottery Barn site, did you get the grommet top or the rod pocket/ring-top? LOVE that they are 50" wide, makes for a nice full look.

Thanks for sharing!

Photo from Pottery Barn site showing both top styles I mentioned:
_

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

PB Cameron Drape

Posts: 9782 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi MR, we ordered the pocket, to use with rings. What you can't see online is that the cotton is very finely ribbed like a faille, so they are slightly dressy.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
OH I like that type of fabric! I would have chosen that hanging style too! You must be excited!

posted Hide Post
I actually HAVE some finds today, but I forgot to bring the pictures to work. I will try to get them posted tonight.

Posts: 4104 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
thanks for hosting this week , MR... I hope you dental appointment went well.

lovely draperies Charles~!

waiting to see Nita's picsSmile

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9988 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, here we go. I have two pics.

Although I am not at all in the market for furniture, I came across this listed on CL and couldn't pass...it was a little bit frustrating though, because it was originally listed at $50 (or $75 for both it and a companion piece), and the price was part of the attraction. By the time the seller responded, she had sold the companion piece (which I wasn't interested in) and reposted this piece for $100! (I'm guessing the buyer of the other piece clued her in that she could get more for it.) I offered and got it for $75. It's actually a child's dresser (very short) but I plan to remove the mirror (which can be hung separately) and use the bottom as an entry table or buffet. I will either refinish it darker or paint it. (It was a young woman selling it, who said it had been her dresser as a child, and she obviously had no idea of its worth...she thought it was about 25 years old...I'm guessing early 20th century.)

(Excuse it being in my messy garage!)

Posts: 4104 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then on Sat., DD and I went estate saling, and this was my haul: blue/white lamp, $10; black/white prints (which I will remat with large neutral mats), $1 each; unused vintage sheet, $3; and the find of the day, quail painting, original oil reverse painted on the glass (I will paint the frame), reduced from $150 to $50 and I bargained it down to $25.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nitalyn,
How could you PASS on that??? That is AMAZING and for that price!

What do the sides look like? And if the back is thin planks laide horizontally and unfinished is a clue it could be late 1800's. The sides look like panels with horizontal rails, may or may not be routed on edges. I LOVE the piece and would have had a hard time passing it up too! LOVE that idea of using the base and mirror separately! That still was a GOOD price! I am glad you went for it, the piece is amazing, and the beading can be purchased online for any repairs. LOVE the little shelf and feet under the drawer on the top!!! Could be Maple, pine (or combination) or Chestnut.

YOU STOLE that lamp! LOVE IT!, always great to find b&w prints! Sheets are always a plus... the Quail reverse painting is so nice and for $25 with the frame (and glass) is a NICE FIND!

YOU are all making me want to go out and hunt for something...!!!

Sonny Dayz,
I love this thread and helping out is FUN! I am sore a bit in the upper jaw on one side, since it is my 'sensitive side'.. it is tiring..! But slowly improving. I can't believe I waited so long (scared of dentist with my neck, and issues with that side of my head...) to get it taken care of! Thought I would lose the tooth! But just exposed nerve, all taken care of now, NEW dentist, so I was nervous for nothing, she was a PEACH! The adjusted the chair and neck brace for me, then kept asking if I was OK, I mean soooo NICE!!! So, DH is going to change to her too since she is like a mile from our house! Thanks for asking!

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mary Ruth! The piece is oak. Here is a pic of the side. (Oh, and good to know that the beaded trim can be purchased online; we were wondering if we could get it somewhere.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nitalynn,

posted Hide Post
And back.

Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
wow Nita, you sure scored with that piece. what a terrific price too. you could probably get 3 or 4 times that much for it.. Beautiful.

MR, its wonderful you found a dentist empathetic to your other health issues. Glad you are on the road to recovery.

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9988 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
MR, thanks for taking over. Glad you found a good dentist.
CD, looks like you found some lovely drapes for a good price.
Nitalynn, that little dresser is just darling and the other pieces were also good finds.

I found an end table that I had no intention of buying, but it was marked from $24.99 to $6.99 and then it was senior day, so I got it for $3.49!!! I am planning on painting it in a Mackenzie Childs style. It is quite sturdy and very few scratches, so should be a fun project.

Candy

Posts: 1315 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
I also found a Debbie Mumm pitcher, still in the box, with a matching S & P for $3.75. I had the coordinating platter, so decided I needed the pieces, LOL. The pitcher is NOT cracked. Some dead pieces of foliage fell into it and I didn't notice until I saw the picture, LOL
Candy

Posts: 1315 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Great dresser Nita, I love it. I would have snatched that up in a heart beat.
Christmas Candy, i would have snatched that end table up as well. Very cute, it matches my entertainment center.

Posts: 4752 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Great finds everyone! Love that dresser! And those pics are great -- both the quail and the black and whites and I ADORE the blue and white lamp! What a neat vintage sheet!

Candy -- you found some great finds as well! Love that pitcher!

Charles D -- glad you got the curtains at a great price! However, someone told me that Pottery Barn stores will match on line sales -- they are competing after all!

Mine are Monday Morning Finds but rather Monday finds!!!

We went shopping today and I came home with treasures!

A great basket for the sunroom for magazines -- GW - $3!

Martha

Posts: 6095 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A nice lantern -- not sure of it's age but think it has some on it! Not antique and not quite vintage, I don't think but I also don't think that it's last year's Hobby Lobby!

It caught my eye and is different than most lanterns that you find today.

Martha

Posts: 6095 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Treasure -- English hand thrown greenhouse pots from around 1880. I brought four home (three survived) from the spring we lived in England -- one of the few breakables I did buy. These are bigger! There's just something about these old pots that I adore!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
And lastly not a find today but an ebay delivery today. For YEARS I've wanted an English ironstone ham stand. They've either been nonexistent or way too expensive. I found one last week (in England) and it came today!!!! It's great for a candleholder!

Oh, and when we were in England I didn't find one here either -- breakable or not, I would have bought one and brought it home!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Thanks MR for starting this thread today -- you're a good stand in for the stand in!!!

I love seeing everyone's treasures!

Martha

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Mary Ruth,

Thanks for doing the MMF thread. Looks like another week of fun finds. Glad your dental appointment went well.

Charles, Those drapes look classic and it's always nice to find a better price.

Nitalynn, That's going to be pretty in the entry way. Your work area looks so organized and tidy! You really scored at the sale also.

Candy, Please show us the results when finish the table re-do. Have fun with the painting. Do you use tape to mark off the areas? What type please?

Martha, More great finds and so useful too.

No finds for me but still making progress on my projects...slowly.

OOPS Wait! I did receive this large lantern from a DFriend~free and decorated it with a candle and shells that I already had at home.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9461 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
BR -- YOU got a great lantern, too!

Martha

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nitalyn
I see, thanks for showing the sides and back! That makes it early 1900's and still around 100 yrs old! The wood might not be all the same wood, they (even today) do not use the same species of wood for each part of furniture. Some woods are more dense and therefore can be carved, and some stronger for the support parts, and then there are the decorative woods.

Sonny Dayz,
Thanks! You are so kind! Feeling so much better today too! Smile

Christmas Candy,
Thank you for kind comments and I hope you are feeling better yourself!

$24.99 down to $6.99 then with discount down to $3.49!!! MAJOR SCORE! Great sturdy table with a style that goes with anything! I know you will have FUN being creative with that piece! Can't wait to see how it turns out! I LOVE it when I find a bargain to express myself with, takes the pressure off (like if you spent much more) if you think you might 'ruin' the piece... This way you have free reign! I can't believe you found even MORE great stuff! I can see the MC influence you are motivated to try!!! Smile

Martha,
GW basket TDF for only $3!!! That lantern is amazing and does have a good quality look to it. Of course English hand thrown greenhouse pots are AMAZING! I can't wait to be concentrating on my patio and pot needs for this house.... I didn't realize they called those stands 'a ham stand'! And ironstone... I love the size of it! GREAT find!!! And what I also LOVE is that you show your new found treasures while also giving us a view into your home in the background!!! LOVE THAT!

Thank you for the compliment! I LOVE this thead and what Skyler has done for us over the years with it.... What an encouragement all the posters have been to me over the years, a little paying back feels really good. I told DH about it, some time back, so he comes to view what others find too at times.

Beau's Rose,
Thanks for kind words, I am feeling so much better! Can't wait to see your project photos! FREE also counts as 'finding a treasure'!!! LOVE it when a good treasure and free happen at once!!! LOL I have a wooden lantern that I quickly did up for an xmas winter scene in my Va house, and loved how it looked, I have used it here in Fl too. LOOKS GREAT!

Photo attached is my lantern in wood, this is approx 12" high... large scale

lantern wood xmas

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
MR -- that's a great lantern! Don't you LOVE lanterns?

Martha

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Linderhof,
YES I do love lanterns! And even moreso when they are found as treasures in a thrift store as mine was! Smile Here is another shot I located in my picture file. This year it is destined to be weathered (grayed finish or driftwood stain) and shells added for a beachy Xmas style.

I will make a display case larger than this for a winter scene with my snowy trees, since it reminds me of Nova Scotia in the winter!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

lantern wood xmas2

posted Hide Post
Martha, I love all your finds! B.R., nice lantern! Mary Ruth, that is a cool piece. A new finish will be fun.

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
As always, nice finds everyone. It's always a pleasure to see treasures others find.

Posts: 9011 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for contributing to this week's MMF's! I appreciate each and every contribution to this up building and successful thread (Skyler's MMF's thread)!

See you next Monday where we do it all again!
Makes me want to go out and FIND something!!!