Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Anyone bought a Kitchen Island like this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone bought a Kitchen Island like this? Sign In/Join 
Picture of jovtfam4
posted
My husband is a great carpenter and right now we have an "island" that he made out of a piece of furniture and butcher block. It's great storage, but doesn't offer a good seating option. I have always imagined my twins being able to sit at the island and eat breakfast... We can't change the width of the butcher block, and although we have good storage, the depth of the top drawers are more suited to papers, desk supply type stuff, and junk and that's what they are filled with. It's an old buffet type piece that my grandfather gave me and it would be lovely to use with a normal top in a different room anyway...

My question is: Have any of your purchased a premade island like the one linked here? What do you think of it? I like the idea of the seating area that can also fold down!

http://www.target.com/p/kitche...506078#guest-reviews

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who made something similar with big box kitchen cabinets and a pre-cut butcher block slab for about $250. She doesn't have a dining table and uses this for dining along with bar stools. You need about 14" of overhang for comfortable seating of adults, probably less for children.

The one from Target seems pretty neat with the folding top and the drawers that I assume could hold utensils and flatware.

ETA: Wait! It says drop down down breakfast bar. Does that mean folding or does that just mean that the bar section is at a lower height than the rest of the top?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graciepj,

Posts: 1739 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
I thought it looked pretty good for the price, considering the storage, and the top, etc. It also gets good reviews.

I was wondering what other people thought of the price-point/value. Smile Thank you for your response Gracie!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jovtfam4,

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure. I think I'd have to see it in person to see how well it was made. Depending on how much the in-stock cabinets and counter top would cost vs. the $669 for this one, it might be worth looking into. From the looks of this one, they've come a long way since I looked for one 10 years ago. It's very nice.

Wanda

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd pass on this one, if I were you, jovt. Tarjait furniture looks good in ads or online photos but when inspected in the retail store is of very poor quality, in my experience.

Besides that, this item is currently marked online sales only. So, there's no way to check it out and a return would be a pita. Plus, 3 (IIRC) total reviews is insufficient, IMHO.

Have you thought about placing either your previous butcher block piece or a newly cut piece (with enough space for an overhang and bar stools) on an industrial-type rolling cart to use as an island? It's probably far fewer **$. You might try your local CL, restaurant supply or Ikea.

Good luck -

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
while i have 3 different target pieces i got what i paid for...ok, but not quality.
now what i'd do is use lower cabinets (matching your exisiting?) and make a permant island...

Posts: 8486 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Could you add a piece of counter to the existing island using hinges or brackets?

Easy to fold down when the space isn't needed. The piece could even be attached a couple of inches lower than the original top.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9352 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 7975 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
Oh, thank you, thank you. I disappeared for a while, but I appreciate all your responses.

I'm so bad with online purchases. It feels to easy to push, "Purchase," and feel like ya aren't really spending money, n a way.

I like the idea of just changing the top, or adding to it.. We could flip the existing piece around, to face the drawers and cupboard towards our cabinets, and the back side out adding an overhang for cabinets. Right now our pot rack hangs on the size near the sink/cabinets, and it is so convenient... But having our kids be able to sit there and eat breakfast would be much better. We can find another place for our pots, I'm sure. We have a lot of cabinet space we don't use in the most efficient way.

I'm slowly realizing it's worth investing in the small organizational pieces, like adding pull out drawers to cabinets We just collect a bunch of junk on top, but that's another post. (How to reduce the junk that accumulates on every single flat surface!!!!!!!). I wish someone would have given us the advice in the first place to add some of the fancy storage options to our cabinets, for value in the long run, and not just go with the basics. But, I'm sure glad we can add on storage options later!

Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
And there are other options that seem useful:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jovtfam4,

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Great idea to add the sliding organizers. I have them in most of our cabinets too.

Check the height of the baskets. Some of them will fit over that little half shelf in cabinets. So doubles the amount of storage space.

There are trash ones and sink ones too that might help you.

Good luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9352 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much. Are those good prices. I would price around first, but I'm wondering if they are worth the cost.