Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Recycled Tire Ottoman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recycled Tire Ottoman Sign In/Join 
posted
Has anyone else tried this? I'm working on it. The jute rope is in place (covering the old tire) & when the glue has dried in, I will put Pecan polyurethane on it and then I'm going to mount it on a "Pecan stained 30" table top to use as the base and then attach 5" legs to the bottom (also stained in Pecan) I'm excited about this project. It's ended up costing more than I imagined and it's been about 10 times the work that I thought it would be.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Azure707,

Posts: 44 | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
How creative and resourceful. You do neat work. I can imagine the labor involved. What supports the middle where the hole was?

Posts: 18687 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting project and looks attractive. However the weight of the tire alone would make it seem not too practical for domestic life and the jute will stain if something is spilled on it.

You do do nice, neat work!

Posts: 12628 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
That's cool. Looks good so far so your hard work is paying off. Cant wait to see it with legs.

I had seen something the other day made out of tires...I think outdoor seating possibly...???

Posts: 9595 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I like it, but I agree with LOS on the heavy thing. Maybe I'm just getting old Smile

I saw someone used three as planters outside and painted them different colors. It looked really cool, not to mention the fact that you get to recycle the tires.

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How did you get rid of the tire smell? You certainly do careful work!

Posts: 113 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A round piece of 1/4" plywood went on the top part, the bottom will rest (and be attached with screws) on a 30" round premade tabletop. As far as the smell, the tire had been outside for quite a while and there wasn't a smell but we cleaned it really good with dish detergent before starting. The polyurethane should take care of stains! The legs have smooth glides so moving it shouldn't be a problem!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Azure707,

posted Hide Post
Beginning...

posted Hide Post
Filling in the "trenches" with Liquid Nails.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Azure, in my younger days and before I had an overflow of furnishings, I would totally want to do this project!

You will have a unique and attractive seating/serving/feet resting piece of furniture.

Posts: 12628 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Wowza!

Such a clever project for an old tire! Looks like a Michelin perhaps? Just imagine one of those big truck tires for this project!

Love it!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very few DIY projects impress me. This one certainly does!

Posts: 804 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Well I'm impressed!
I bet its very therapeutic to work on and the final results will be stunning and quite the conversation piece!!

Posts: 2828 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Wow that's awesome. Great job!!!

Posts: 4708 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very creative but I hope you don't have any pussycats!

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
This is the kind of creativity that made this board special in the early days. I'll bet if you were doing it again, you would consider a heavier rope to cut down on the labor. I love how it looks.

Posts: 1633 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! We don't have cats; I'm allergic. :-( I'm going to do 2 more for my DD's porch and YES, I will use a larger rope for sure! I'm going to stain it, the base and the legs tomorrow and hopefully by Saturday, it will all be put together. We are leaving on vacation on Monday morning so that week will be a good time to let it "cure'.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
WONDERFUL PROJECT! You have good skills to turn this project out BETTER than any I have seen as inspirations! Can't wait to see the FINISH!!! I like the fact that the finished table will be heavy and substantial!

Posts: 9721 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post