Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  New Lamp For Guest Room!! Does it work?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Lamp For Guest Room!! Does it work? Sign In/Join 
Picture of lilsophie
posted
I saw a cute lamp at Stein Mart that I loved. Thought it would be perfect for guest room. After putting it in there, I'm not so sure.
The one that I had in there used to be in my living room.

Does this new lamp work, I'm thinking NOT...

Before....

my pictures

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
After, with new lamp.

my pictures

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
Ohh, I vote yes, it definitely work. Love that the mercury glass base work with the mirrored dresser and that the lamp shade works with your walls, headboard and spread.

NICE!

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Oh Cara, you think it looks fine. I keep looking at it. I'm thinking its the flower that is on the shade, that is throwing me. Maybe because it's different style of flower than that's in the fabric.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I like it. The circular shape of the flower mimics the circles in the fabric. Have you tried just turning the flower to the back and see if you like it then.

I saw a rouched pillow at Target today. It was kind of aqua but they have it on line in lavender. I'm a pillow pusher!! Big Grin

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AKsunny99
posted Hide Post
I really like both lamps; however, I am not a fan of the flower on the shade. I like Annie's suggestion of just turning the shade so you can't see the flower and then see how it looks. If I had to vote though, I think I would choose the mercury glass based one but different shade.

Posts: 3072 | Location: Anchorage, AK USA | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I tried turning the shade around. But that will not work because of large seam in the back of the shade...sigh

Annie they have such cute pillows at Stein Mart. But non that would work for. I will keep checking there.
That rushed pillow is cute.

Aksunny, The flower seems to be throwing me off too. I sure did like it in the store. Darn....

Picture of AKsunny99
posted Hide Post
Are the two shades the same size? If they are, could you try the plain one on your mercury lamp and see if you like it then? If you do, then its just a matter of changing shades.

Posts: 3072 | Location: Anchorage, AK USA | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsunny99:
Are the two shades the same size? If they are, could you try the plain one on your mercury lamp and see if you like it then? If you do, then its just a matter of changing shades.

Good idea AKsunny, but will not work. Both lamps are set up different. I would have to change housing or what ever you call it. Do you know what I mean??
Well may just take it back, we shall see...I'm the queen of returns anyways. LOL

Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
I actually like the flower. It does as someone say,mimic the circles in the head board.

Can the flower be removed?

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not into matchy-matchy and liked the lamp when I first saw your photo - taking another look it may be slightly too much, given your headboard floral and mirror floral.

Because of the larger size of your bedside chest, I would try a slightly larger base and plain shade. If they have other sizes with the mercury glass base, you might buy a couple more, try out the different sizes and then return the rejects.

Good Luck! (It's all JMHO.)

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AguaBella:
I'm not into matchy-matchy and liked the lamp when I first saw your photo - taking another look it may be slightly too much, given your headboard floral and mirror floral.

Because of the larger size of your bedside chest, I would try a slightly larger base and plain shade. If they have other sizes with the mercury glass base, you might buy a couple more, try out the different sizes and then return the rejects.

Good Luck! (It's all JMHO.)

AquaBella, thanks for your input. It really helps a lot to get other opinions. I will keep the lamp for a while, and also keep looking for other lamps to try out. lol

posted Hide Post
Anytime, lilsophie.

Sounds like a good strategy - sometimes it helps to live with things. They either grow on you or not, as the case may be.

You already have a beautiful, peaceful guest room so I'm sure your changes will make it even better.

Looking forward to your final photos, best of luck!

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
Oh! The headboard is lovely! It's pretty, pretty, pretty. I like the new lamp.

Keep posting pics. Smile

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
I love the new lamp and the flower on the shade, just adds to the feminine feel of the room.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Jov and Annie, thanks for taking a peek into the room. Happy to hear you both like the new lamp. I still peek in every so often to see if I'm keeping the lamp or not. LOL

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Lilsophie,

I like the lamp also. Have you considered switching out the table accessories? That might do the trick if it looks "off" to you.

The white vase and the other flower arrangement appear to be almost the same height. Try some variety in the display.

The green and white arrangement seems to contrast with the overall look for the room.

Do you have a silver tray to add to the table top? Another option is to add something aqua or lavender also; a candle, picture frame or larger glass bowl.

Play with the table top accessories and then see if you like the lamp better. Have fun!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
I like it better.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too like the lamp and the flower doesn't bother me. You can play it up by getting throw pillows and accessories in the same colors as the shade.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
I like the new lamp.

I think it needs more impact in that setting.

Try ribbon or braid trim around the top and bottom of the shade in one of your colors,aqua or lavender. You could just wrap the ribbon/braid around and pin it in place to test how it would look. Then if you like it, just hot glue it in place.

Also, find a coffee table book in your colors (I find them often at thrift stores) or use the decorator trick of covering an appropriate size book in colored paper or pretty coordinating wrapping paper and setting the lamp on top of the book.

Or, use a pretty tray/platter/plate and set the lamp on it.

Something to set the lamp apart from the dresser and tie it in to your beautiful headboard will help you decide to love it!!

JMHO,
Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post