HGTV Message Boards
color coordination

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1634079532/m/5783936767

Feb 08, 2013, 09:40 AM
a gover
color coordination
I moved into a house that has teal carpet. I have a sage green couch.....What can I do to coordinate the colors? Help!
Feb 08, 2013, 09:49 AM
*Bella*
Can you post a pic? It would help to be able to see the variance between the two. It sounds awful, but there might be something great that can be done with other colors to make it an interesting combination.

Christie
Feb 08, 2013, 10:49 AM
Froo Froo
Welcome. First, is this a rental or a permanent residence? If rental, you could invest in a large area rug to cover most of the field of teal. I recommend a neutral rug. Another option, tho challenging but not impossible, is to find a print that teams both colors w/ additional colors to unify your space and make it look intentional. This print could come via things like an area rug, window treatment, throw pillows, accent chair or stool or even art. It may surprise you to find that textile artists have teamed this duo w/ other colors successfully. Yet another option is to invest in a neutral slipcover for the sofa. Use the teal pulled from the carpet minimally via pillows, accessories like a lamp base, art, etc.. The object is to conceal most of the carpet (assuming replacement of carpeting in the space is prohibitive) or go w/ the flow. Blues and green are frequently presented in prints so your quest to "go with the flow" may take some time, but not by any means, a hopeless endeavor. Have patience and consider the options I've presented to you. If for example, you can't find a ready made item featuring these colors or families of these colors (hue values can vary), then look for fabric and fashion simple things like pillow casings, window scarves or toppers, an upholstered stool. BTW, an inexpensive area rug can be created by shopping for rug remnants and having the edges bound. One further thought is in re. to this being a long term residence. Is there hardwood beneath the teal carpeting?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,
Feb 08, 2013, 12:57 PM
Graciepj
Froo Froo has covered most of the options for making your two colors work together, so I'll just say, "Welcome to the message boards."
Nov 29, 2013, 02:34 PM
arepo24
Think Raspberry (and white)! No kidding. It works with both colors.