Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Your Kitchen Window
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Kitchen Window Sign In/Join 
Picture of lilsophie
posted
What kind of covering do you have on your kitchen window? I want some ideas. So if you could show a picture I would appreciate it.
I have a plantation blind and a valance. I hate that plantation blind, it's so hard to clean.
Can you give me some ideas of what to put up there. Thanks all.

Here's a pic of my kitchen window, not a very good pic really lol

I Want to replace the plantation blind mainly, I hate it. What can I put in place of that???

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

my pictures

Posts: 4752 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Roll-up Roman shades in woven wood or bamboo would filter the light and add natural texture to your kitchen. And, they only need a light dusting once in a while Smile with a Swiffer-type device.

http://www.3dayblinds.com/room...-woven-wood-shades-1

Posts: 5311 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a white roller shade (seldom used) and white sheers, pulled back with gold cord or have used artificial ivy. Oak cupboards.

love life

Posts: 1538 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I don't need anything for privacy, and the kitchen is on the northwest side of the house, so I only have a valance.

BTW, I love your window treatment. If you don't like the blinds, can you just leave the valance and nothing else?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WWanda,

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Aych, I will look into those Roman Shades, I really like them, thanks Smile

May, thanks for your idea.

Wanda, Yes I do need privacy. At night I would feel like someone is looking in, if I didn't lol

Glad you like my window treatment. I still like it too. Just hate the blind. But I will show you a close up of the curtain holder, I still think it's so cute. lol

my pictures

Posts: 4752 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Lilsophie, I happen to like your window treatment. I'm not particularly fond of trying to mimic what is popular for the time but instead having what truly makes my heart sing. When you find it, you will know it. Don't even think about whether it's in vogue. As long as you love it, go for whatever you want.

Here's my kitchen window treatment. It makes my heart sing, but it's totally a personal choice.

Good luck and look forward to seeing your choice.

Posts: 9011 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We have nothing on our two kitchen windows -- one looks out over the back garden and the other looks out on the drive and the house to the north of us. They're lower than we are so they can't see much (when it was for sale, I asked the realtor if I could go look and I did!!!)

Martha

Posts: 6057 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I like your valance too Lilsophie. And I'm not usually a valance person.

this is the kitchen window over my sink. We have shutters on our kitchen windows which gives great light control. But our kitchen is rather unusual as it is not a "today" kitchen if that makes sense to you.

Hard to see the pic when I select them. This is a greenhouse window outside the house window.

Posts: 12787 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Paintlady I still like my window treatment too.
I want to replace the plantation blind. I hate that thing. What can I put to replace that?

You kitchen window in gorgeous Paintlady.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Linderhoff I could never go with nothing covering my window. I would be afraid of a peeping tom LOL

LOS, I love shutters too. We have them on every window in our home, except the kitchen window. Couldn't put them there because of our faucet.

posted Hide Post
The window over my sink looks out into my utility room. A previous owner of the house increased the size of the utility room by taking a few feet from the carport so the view was never good anyway. After many years of staring at curtains or blinds, I replaced it with something I LIKE to stare at:

Posts: 3459 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our kitchen, like our old house is different than most of the houses shown on these forums, so don't know if my ideas will help you, Lilsophie.

It seems that the only considerations you have to make are aesthetic and then easy to clean. If possible I would opt for no covering except the valance. Unless you need something for privacy.

In my house my kitchen is so small that every square inch must be utilized and it actually was a delight to figure it all out.

Here is the south facing window which has full length wooden shutters. These are easy to clean as over sink and help in winter for the bitter cold.

posted Hide Post
this is the window over the west side of house in the kitchen.

Maybe this won't be of a help to you Lilsophie but maybe someone with a small kitchen can see what spaces can be utilized. This window has a shutter (half panel wood and half louvers) on the lower sash. Just a roller shade on top half.

In Maine we need lots of window coverings a/c cold esp when you have old windows.

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Lilsophie, I'm so glad you like the fabric window treatment you have. It's lovely.

You might consider for a change from the plantation blinds you have to Bamboo Shades with a privacy shade. For privacy make certain that you select the Bamboo Shades with the privacy liner. Bamboo shades can come with or without the privacy liner depending upon one's preference. That should work for you and add texture and some color to the space. Here's a link to look at and maybe something will inspire you for a replacement.
http://www.paylessdecor.com/Ba...es/Bamboo-Shades.asp

ETA: I apologize for not seeing Aychihuahua's suggestion for bamboo shades and her link. I think that's a wonderful idea. My apologies Aychihuahua.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: paintlady,

Posts: 9011 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An Austrian shade would be another solution. If you know someone who could sew it for you. But then you would lose your lovely valance.

Is this the only kitchen window you have?

Actually you probably already have the best solution for privacy and yet flexibility and simplicity. But its hard if you just don't like something!

We just bought bamboo roll up shades for our screened in porch and they are not good for filtering out the view or for privacy.

We used to have them in our d.r. and I remember coming down in the middle of the night and thinking they had been removed as I had a perfect sight line to outside!

Fabric Roman shades would be another solution as they just pleat as they are pulled up and are not see through.

We have them in our d.r. under the long curtains as they are great for light control, privacy and also for us another layer in the winter. Ours don't have an elaborate heading but just hook on to two L hooks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Lilsophie -- it would have to be a peeping Tom on stilts! They're way above ground level! Even the longer of the two!

Martha

Posts: 6057 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Here's my window over the sink: Sometimes I have more plants on the window sills -- the amount of plants come and go depending on the season -- mostly they're herbs.

If you stand on the ground outside -- you can't "peek" in without a ladder!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
The window over the stove -- it's even further from the ground than the one over the sink -- I've since put away all the mustard pots and the molds.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Linderhof, lucky you. I like your bare windows.

Posts: 3459 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your window ideas for me. I will go looking to see what I what I find. You all gave me some ideas Smile

Linderhoff , I too love your bare windows. So pretty. Wish my windows were high up like that too. Oh and I love your kitchen too Smile

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paintlady:

ETA: I apologize for not seeing Aychihuahua's suggestion for bamboo shades and her link. I think that's a wonderful idea. My apologies Aychihuahua.

No need for an apology; like minds think alike. Smile

And, sophie, there is no reason why you couldn't keep the fabric valance with a bamboo or woven wooden shade. That would be a very pretty -- and practical -- layered window treatment. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Posts: 5311 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted roll up shades with fabric on them to match either curtain panels or a valance.

A friend had the vertical binds in her family room that she covered with fabric on each slat.

Have you thought of the honey comb style shades? Could be up under your lovely valance in the daylight. Also the down from the top if you need privacy in the daytime.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6307 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you thought of the honey comb style shades

Oh yes, DD has these in her guest room and they are fun to close and open!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
not a darn thing! but i'm very luck...the window is just high enough that walking by you can't see in. second it looks out on the side yard, at a vacant lot, of trees, and plenty of critters...dh has a bird feeder on our tree...we watch birds, squirrels, a rabbit, once in a great while ground hog, and very noisy chipmonks!

Posts: 8551 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I would suggest you to go with light colored curtains , you can check in curtainsandcurtains.com for more collections and ideas..

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Your window is beautiful! I agree with the honey comb shade suggestion. I have those at our bathroom windows. They are completely unseen during the day, and they are so easy to care for.

Posts: 3196 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I don't have a kitchen window per se but I do have two sliding doors which will soon be replaced with French doors. I made the decorative awnings with plywood and 2x4s covered in fabric. After we remodel the second part of the kitchen I will have a large bay window above the sink where I will make the same thing. There are rollup solar shades behind them.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7478 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
another view..

Danny Kaye

Posts: 7478 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
zone, I like your awnings. Will you be able to keep them with the French doors?

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Hi SMS, yes the French doors will open out into the courtyard. We made it so all of our French doors open out...that way it's easier to place furniture close by.

Danny Kaye

posted Hide Post
Excellent idea. Maybe if I decide to replace the windows on the back wall in my kitchen that would be the way to go. Right now, the only access to the patio is thru the utility room.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your ideas. Love all the pics you showed me too.
I looked just a bit this morning at Home Depot, just to get some ideas. Will go somewhere else. Not sure what I want really.

One time I had this magazine, can't remember the name of it. Wish I would have saved it. A homeowner mentioned in the magazine made her own leaded window in her kitchen. It was a diamond pattern. It looked so good. I have always wanted to copy it. Don't know why I didnt save it....banging head here, lol....
Sure would love something like that Smile

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
you can and it's not that hard IF you go faux, over the real deal...

I think we got our supplies at michaels...the kids did a small pane from a picture frame...we laid out a pattern, put it under the glass, and copied... think we still have it someplace, lol...(that was 20 years ago)

you might want to check gardenweb (the kitchen table people) they have a stained glass site...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/stainedglass/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjf,

Posts: 8551 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjf:
you can and it's not that hard IF you go faux, over the real deal...

I think we got our supplies at michaels...the kids did a small pane from a picture frame...we laid out a pattern, put it under the glass, and copied... think we still have it someplace, lol...(that was 20 years ago)

you might want to check gardenweb (the kitchen table people) they have a stained glass site...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/stainedglass/

Thanks I will check this out Smile