Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning Finds 6-16-14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Finds 6-16-14 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
It's that time again! Another Monday means another chance to show off your favorite and/or recent treasures. Please post pictures, if you're able, or just tell us about them. Prices are fun to hear too.

Let the game begin…. Smile

Posts: 10539 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one yet? Well, I have a few. I went estate saling with older DD on Sat.; we haven't been in quite a while. I spent a bit, but got some nice things.

First I found this lovely vintage bedspread for $35. Not sure what this is called; it's not exactly chenille. I just love them.

First pic:

Posts: 4167 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And here it is on the guest bed ("my" bed), in place of the toile. It makes a nice fresh change.

Posts: 4167 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then I found these (blue & white of course) plates, but rather than china they are enamel. Handwritten on the back it says they were made in Portugal and hand painted. Both for $10. The blue glass sugar & creamer were from the same sale, $15 for both. At another sale I got the landscaping book for $1.

posted Hide Post
My last find was the most unique. Several years ago I had found a set of four of what I believe are original watercolors, fairly old (maybe 30s or 40s). They were all framed the same, and I painted the frames black. Saturday I found two more, in the exact same frames! There were actually three, and one of them was the same scene as one of mine, but with slight differences...could it have been a street painter, painting the same scene over and over and selling to passing tourists? But what about the matching frames? Was he framing them? Or, as my cynical DH says, were they mass painted in a factory? Regardless, I love them. ($25 each) (They are all signed "Alba.")

Two pics to follow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nitalynn,

posted Hide Post
Last pic.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn,
Great vintage bedspread, I have a couple, called Martha Washington. Love the texture and look of these! Can't wait to use mine... One of the ones I have was a gift from the lady I bought (CL find listed last year) she gave it to me because it had got caught on the bedrail and tore, so I am going to use it for pillow shams!
Yours has a beautiful pattern! VERY NICE! SCORE!!!

OH MY, LOVE those enamel plates! Love the blue glass too, been eyeing some lately, you and I are on the same wavelength, but you are SCORING! Smile

Wow, how lucky to find similar prints! When I used to go to Manhattan every year, I met a lot of street artists who did cookie cutter prints like this to sell... BUT that does not mean they are mass produced in a factory. They are actually nice prints and color may be added at the end of the process where a certain color might be popular. Nice to have a set, I am sure as a grouping they are more impressive than alone. SCORE!

As for ME:
A week of home tasks kept me from 'the hunt' but I tend to go out soon, and IF I find something... I will post.

As always I LOVE seeing everyone else's finds! What a great trip, vicariously treasure hunting with all of you who share on this great thread!

Thank you so much Skyler, this thread is something I look forward to each Monday! Thank you again for helping to make me look forward to Mondays! Smile

Posts: 9816 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn, your bed looks lovely in its new cover mixed with the toile pillows. How lucky you were to find more prints that will work with ones found earlier. Like you, I wouldn't really care if the prints were mass-produced or original as long as I loved seeing them.

I haven't had anything to share for a while, but I stumbled across a bedskirt on one of the flash sales sites and thought it might look good with the quilt that I am currently using as a bed cover. It arrived Friday. I love the mix of patterns with my quilt and the colors are perfect.

I did iron it, but it still looks wrinkled in the picture. I'll have to get the steamer out and see if I can make it look a little better.

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, gracie, I think those go perfectly together! Good find!

Thanks, M.R., for the name of the bedspread.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Gracie, love the two fabrics together!

Posts: 9816 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Gracie -- those two fabrics look PERFECT together!

Nitalynn - love all your friends. I know those aren't chenille bedspreads but they were popular when I was growing up -- at least for the "company" bed! Love your blue and white plates -- I like the boldness of portugal ceramics and those two blue glass pieces . . .

When we were in Venice, there was row after row of "artists" with similar pictures for sale. They did them there and sold them to tourists. But that doesn't diminish that they are hand created!

Maybe if you take them to antiques roadshow, you might NOT find out that they're a $100,000 find but I think they're lovely and watercolors are much nice IMO than prints from Home Goods!

My find, some fabric which I'll use on a table for the 4th -- burlap -- one piece is stripes and the other is starts. From Wal Mart! And only $4 a yard!

But it went in like two days! And I'm not sure if ALL WM's have it!

Posts: 6348 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool fabric, Martha!

I agree that my paintings are likely the work of a street artist. When I took the first ones apart, there were several clues that they are fairly old (but I can't remember now exactly what the clues were). For one, if they were contemporary paintings (of the time they were painted), then the clothes would date them. I'm still a bit confused about the frames. Did the street artists you saw typically offer frames? When I found the first four, the mats and frames were exactly as the "new" ones are. One day I plan to take them all apart again and refinish all the frames the same...not sure yet what that will be. Thanks for your input.

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Wow! Great finds! I spent the weekend cleaning windows (oh joy) so all I found was the view from my kitchen - I can see it now! Big Grin

Posts: 3479 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Linderhof, that's great fabric. What will you make with it?

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Use it as a tablecloth -- the stripe fabric over half the table, the star fabric over the other half.

And it is burlap, stiff, scratchy burlap

Martha

Posts: 6348 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Another week of great finds!

Nitalynn, That is unusual to make another find of your prints. Enjoy them no matter how they came about!

Gracie, Those two prints were meant to be together. Love the colors!

Mary Ruth, Good luck on the Treasure Hunt! Hope you score lots of finds!

Martha, Those are always special fabrics and will be perfect for many Holidays.

My DMIL just gave us the flag that was DFIL so it is extra special to us.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9512 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vintage floral collage pillows. Vintage floral fabric inset with contrasting red banding and diamond pattern textile. Side banding and tassel fringe. A true one-of-a-kind pieces.

The Design Collective
http://thedsgncollective.com/

The Design Collective

Vintage Pillows

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Terrific finds everyone. Some truly unique goodies this week. Thank you to everyone who shared and participated Smile

Posts: 10539 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Martha,
LOVE that burlap from Walmart? What a FIND!

junk collector,
Don't you just LOVE clean windows? Great VIEW is such a great find! Smile

Beau's Rose,
Hi, so glad to see your post! Nice gift of your DFIL's flag! [have not ventured out yet, we have had afternoon downpours here, so typical of June in Florida]

ignoring The Design Collective spam.....

Skyler,
What another GREAT lot of FINDS!!! loving it!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linderhof:
Use it as a tablecloth -- the stripe fabric over half the table, the star fabric over the other half.

And it is burlap, stiff, scratchy burlap

Martha

I probably wouldn't like the stiff, scratchy characteristic, but I bet you'll put together a creative table. I look forward to seeing it here or on your blog.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Very nice finds again this week.
I love that bedspread and the artwork Nita, very nice.
Gracie the bedskirt is a perfect match.
Linderhof, that burlap fabric is nice, love it!

Posts: 4803 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post