Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixer Uppers Sign In/Join 
Picture of WhaleEye
posted
Watching this show, Fixer Uppers, and caught up on the episodes. Love it! However, the prices for Waco, Tx are not anywhere in line with my area.
Are they leaving out details that drive costs up, making money from HGTV on top of the number$ they reveal or how/what does it actually cost?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I was just talking about this show to my DH. Not sure I understand your question. Do you think the prices are too low or too high?

I don't know how we, as viewers, could know about actual costs but I am beginning to wonder about shows that feature people who after all are business people (Property brothers, Flip this house, fixer upper, Nicole Curtis etc etc.)

The Gaines do a good job, same look expressed over and over. Knock down walls, hang an old piece of a wooden something as a decoration. In fact today at our dump we saw parts of a wooden boat, one of which had part of the name on it. Had Joanne Gaines seen it she would have taken for her wooden parts pile!

Posts: 13082 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one time, I was told (or read it somewhere) for remodelings,that the prices given were for the supplies (lumber,nails, etc) only. Labor was not included. As far as the prices of the homes they buy...some do seem high but if you know the city they are in, that influences the price.

I too like the Gaines....and love to see the things Joanne hangs on the wall. She has a building full of things she can use.

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched this particular show but they are VERY SEDUCTIVE. Very popular 10 to 20 years ago. However the drawback is that fixing up a house that hasn't been taken care of is much, much more expensive than one would predict. Those little things can quickly add up.

I bought this house 9 years ago knowing that it needed updating. New paint inside and out, replacing wallpaper and kitchen floor, refrigerator, etc.. Had it inspected. I'm about $80,000 in now and STILL haven't even started on "decorating". Its all been MAINTENANCE.

Don't misunderstand. I absolutely LOVE this house and its location. However, I sometimes wonder if I will ever finish it before I die or am moved to a nursing home. Its still so shabby I won't have company except family.

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I love the Gaines I sometimes have a completely different responce to these types of shows than other viewers. Here in N.J. you can't even get a GC to come out and look at your job if it is under $25,000.

And even though I live 60 miles from either NYC or Phila. in Warren County, you would have to be willing to live in an absolute wreck if your budget was $150,000.Homes being purchased and then completely renovated for under $200,000 would be a dream for struggling families here.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
f your budget was $150,000.Homes being purchased and then completely renovated for under $200,000 would be a dream for struggling families here.

Yes, that is why I didn't understand the OP. Some of those houses are darned cute for incredibly low prices. But, Charles, don't you think the Gaines' have their team and maybe we are not really informed of what the actual costs are?

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
don't you think the Gaines' have their team and maybe we are not really informed of what the actual costs are?

Not only do the Gaines have a team, they have a realty business, called Magnolia Homes. They are developers in the Waco area.

Posts: 5364 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completely understand the laws of supply and demand, and also the concepts of cost of living index, so no surprise that the salaries in Waco are probably as low as the housing costs. I guess part of my question is how relative are these prices quoted to the average HGTV viewer? And is it "cricket" to be quoting prices for entertainment purposes that withhold a key component that the average viewer would experience?

Posts: 1803 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess part of my question is how relative are these prices quoted to the average HGTV viewer?

To this viewer, not at all.

Oh, I thought "Magnolia" was a store front selling antiques and such. Should have realized that is not so as she is shown often shopping at other stores.

I loved this house but if memory serves, the original price was very low, something like between 25 - 30 K.

Yes, just checked. The city owned it and sold it for 24,008. Can't imagine anything in my area selling for such a price.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
on the one show the gal bought the house from the city for $1...and did bare bones rehab..enough to pass inspection, and find a buyer...
what the city of Detroit is doing now are open auctions on homes trying to get people back from suburb flight...some were quite pretty from the outside but what they paid or will have to do to live in them(a must to buy)I don't know....

Posts: 8585 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post