Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Can you help me finish my kitchen please?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you help me finish my kitchen please? Sign In/Join 
Picture of crayon
posted
I do like transitional style, and I need to put a few things on my walls. I want to keep it somewhat simple however.

Possibly a rug under the table and chairs or somewhere else in the kitchen?

Something on the table?

A grouping of pictures maybe on the wall across from the large window, adjacent to the tv wall?

Shallow console table under the tv, or etagere or bar cart in the corner?

Something simple on the wall between the pantry door and door to the kitchen? Not sure here.

I would like to bring in more texture on the side where the table and chairs are and add some rustic touches and decorator pieces maybe. Again, keeping it all somewhat simple.

I know I need to clean off some of the countertops.

Can you give me some ideas please? What would you do if it were your kitchen? Anything that you envision for this space?

Signed,
Handicapped in the decorating department

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
The first thing I notice is the tv floating and the red chairs blending into the red walls.

Maybe something slim and long under the tv to break of some of red from the wall and chairs. Does that make sense?

Posts: 9817 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Yep, I see the same thing. Long and slim sounds like what I was thinking of. Maybe something not too bulky looking that maybe has some open shelving? I don't know.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
IMO, the TV is way too high for optimal viewing while seated. Any chance you can lower it and place it directly on a console so you don't have to add more holes to the wall.

The color of your kitchen walls is terrific and it cries out for some "dramatic" (there's my favorite word again) art work. Here is one of my favorite sources for affordable wall art: http://www.gallerydirect.com/ (As a past customer, I can vouch for the quality of their work.)

Posts: 5373 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
aychihuahua, I know it looks high. Me and my DH had a discussion about that, and he insists that it needs to be that high to see it while standing in the kitchen while cooking. He also insists that we also not block it with the chandelier in there. I had to let him win on this one. The tv is also a wall mount, so we couldn't put it on a table.

I love your style and "dramatic". I'll check out that website. Thank you.

P.S. I think Gallery Direct is where I bought my artwork over the fireplace. I was very happy with them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crayon,

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
When you say dramatic, are you thinking of something like a large piece of artwork that is done in this kitchen?

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg....51ddb2b0ee83c38f.jpg

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I haven't looked that much yet on Gallery Direct, but I did find this piece. I don't know if the colors are what we want and even if the frame I put on there is right for the room, but here it is. If this went on the wall adjacent to the tv wall, would it look alright? I wish I could put a big piece of art on the tv wall, but the tv is already there.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I may be totally off base here.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Crayon,

You are moving right along with your project. Can you add a small console table under the TV?

Well I love the second one you just posted with the aqua and touches of your wall color. But you have to choose.

For the kitchen counters put away any item not used daily. Do you have an extra drawer to use for the spices? I would want to claim that corner space in between the stove and sink. The coffee pot would be moved down near the phone area with coffees and creamers in the drawer. of course that means a few extra steps if you need refrigerator items for your coffee.

For the island a large bowl, tray, or cutting board would add interest too.

Good luck! We're watching for your finishing touches.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9517 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of large colorful art similar to what you posted pic's of at places like Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Costplus World Market and Pier 1.

Bring some home and try them out, see what you like.

Posts: 9817 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
What about a nice grouping of matching frames with photos in them? Are your counter accents black or dark brown? I tend to like a set of 4 matching but PB and other decor catalogs keep showing scattered arrangements of differing sizes that tie together.....just thinking if you have one big piece of art on that wall next to tv you need to break up the tv wall with some more balance.... Wink Nice Kitchen! Spicy color!

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7481 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I adore tablecloths but not everyone does, but would you consider a runner?

Posts: 3276 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Rose, a small console table under the tv is the only thing I can think of too, but I'm not sure what type of table would look good there. I'll see what I can find and see what you all think.

I'll move some things off the counter tomorrow and see how long it will be before I have to fight with my DH over it. Wink And I think adding something to the island is a good idea. Thank you.

Always, I'm not even sure if that kind of artwork would work, or which wall it would look good on. I was just throwing ideas out there to see what you all thought.

GreenAlice, I like the idea of matching frames with photos in them. Maybe about 4 or 6 large frames in white, black, or silver thin frames and done in a grouping? And are you talking about putting them on the tv wall or the adjacent wall?

When you ask about my counter accents being black or dark brown, are you talking about the granite colors? My granite has black, brown, grey, rust in it. The small appliances sitting on my countertosp have black in them.

Grapefruit, I do like table runners. Do you think my table would look nice with one?

Thanks for your help.

Here's my granite.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I'm late to the party . . .

But I do think some sort of table under the TV would keep it from seeming to "float".

And some sort of art on the wall would be nice whether a grouping of several small pictures or one larger one (although because of the TV on the other wall I think I would favor the grouping).

As far as the kitchen is concerned, it is the KITCHEN!!! I've never been in favor of hiding everything you use and putting decor in it's place -- it's a KITCHEN! If you use it daily and want it handy, keep it out!

I would, however, put a bowl of fruit or a vase of fresh flowers on the table. Something simple to match your style.

And if you want to put something on your island, do it --in your kitchen I could see a stainless steel basket filled with green apples or oranges. I prefer mine empty because it is a work space.

Martha

Martha

Posts: 6385 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Love the color of your walls!

What do you think about doing a gallery wall around the TV? Some examples here: https://encrypted.google.com/s...with%20tv&tbs=imgo:1

Since there are also the other 2 walls (dining area across from the window and in the kitchen other side of island) for art you could put a single piece of art there. I like both pieces you posted but since art is very individual it's best to choose something both you and your DH love.

I agree a piece of furniture under the TV would help it from 'floating'. If there is enough space under for the pet bowls it would be a plus. It's where I have mine in the kitchen and like that they are out of the way.

I think one item such as a bowl of fruit at the dining area end of your island would look nice. Also a low decorative 'something' in the center of your table.

A rug under the table is definitely optional but could introduce pattern or texture which is IMO needed. Make sure you choose a large enough rug so the chairs are still on the rug when pulled out.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12765 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Everything you have done looks super!!! IMO I think the table needs the softness of some fabric/pattern.

For me, I prefer my "artwork" to be unique or personal/family things. I do not go out and just buy a picture. Several folks on here have taken vintage magazine pages/ads/bird prints/flower prints,etc.and framed them in a grouping.

I have old grocery store ads from local stores, report cards of long ago ancestors, a great aunt's graduation announcement, an original painting of our house, and old oil paintings done by a New England artist.

You may want to wait until you find just what you want. I always feel like a house is never "done"....it just changes.

Posts: 3276 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Ok Crayon...I was thinking on your dining area last night while looking at the PB catalog...and I like the idea of a ledge beneath tv across most of wall....expanding the vertical and being able to introduce different shapes instead of all rectangles....you have such a lovely modern round light fixture and with a ledge easy play and switch different sizes heights etc....even photo frames! Lanterns....possibilites are endless....I can even see one ledge just for the tv and seperate ones kind of like these...or painted cream and distressed, but not a shelf per se a 3-4inch with a lip to hold things a bit!

I also like the idea of a round open faced clock on that far wall with some other elements...maybe clock and 2 ledges? Nice for holiday decor switchout too. Big Grin

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Other thought was on long wall a gallery of photos above a narrow long table that gives clearance for pet things below but gives display space as well. Can't see photo displays on BOTH walls too much....but if you do photo gallery on long wall you can still have ledges to display different shapes and items....round clock would be functional and mimic round shade of lamp for tiein.

I thought five tall rectangles in a row with mats and uniform wood tone....could match ledges too! But the more I look at the PB displays I see lots of fun varieties!

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
This one is a bit busy imho but introduces multiple shapes and a clock!

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Linderhoff,

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree that the TV needs something under it. I also like your ideas about the fruit and flowers. My DH likes our kitchen to be a kitchen too and likes things handy. I don't like an empty countertop, but I like some of it put away.

Joyluck, thank you. I like the idea of a gallery wall around the TV, or else on the wall across from the big window. I am thinking the black and white photo idea would look better than going with those colored art pieces I posted. There are a lot of nice examples shown on that link you posted. A table where I can put the pet dishes underneath is a good idea too. However, I wonder if I could put the table on the other wall since there is actually more room there. Of course, that doesn't solve my floating TV issue.

Grapefruit, thank you. I would like to put some family photos in my kitchen too. My home is lacking in that area, and I think that could warm things up a bit. Some texture or fabric could be brought in with placemats or a small runner I think. And a rug, as Joyluck, suggested.

GreenAlice, wow, thank you for thinking of me last night and letting me know what you would like to see in my space. I have seen some floating type cabinets that extend across the wall, but I don't think I've seen ledges unless they were custom made. I love the idea of being able to have ledges and changing decorator items from time to time. Those ones from PB are really nice, but the longest is only 4 ft. long, which means it would only extend beyond each side of my 35-inch TV by 6-1/2 inches. I don't think that is what you are talking about though, right? I really like the brown framed photo frames and your clock idea. I need a clock in the kitchen anyway.

Now I have to see what I can come up with. Thanks, ya all!

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to put some pics together based on some of your suggestions. Not sure if this is what you were thinking, but please let me know if I am headed in the right direction.

There is actually more room on this wall to put a table, but I don't know if the ledges solve the floating TV issue.

The dark wood frames tie in nicely with my cabinets on other side of the kitchen (thanks, GreenAlice), and the console table is rustic looking. Not sure if it works or not, but it's a dark wood color too. Should it be longer?

http://www.potterybarn.com/pro...acet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

http://www.homedecorators.com/...k_Console_Table/950/

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Again, GreenAlice suggested these beautiful ledges from PB for my space. I'm not sure exactly how best to use them here. A ledge underneath the TV and one on each side? A clock could sit on or above one of the ledges, along with some decorator pieces. Not sure if this is close to what it should look like. What do you think? Still need a table on that wall?

http://www.potterybarn.com/pro...acet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Upon looking at this picture again of the ledges I put on the wall to hold decorator items, I am sure that's not what you had in mind, GreenAlice.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Crayon -

I like that table -- it seems to fit your style. I like the pics as well as the ledges but . . .

If you have the TV and ledges and things on the ledges and then a grouping of pics on the other wall -- it seems like too many little things congregated together -- if you do the tv and ledges, I think I would go for something bigger -- one thing on the opposite wall. Might it look too cluttery if you have little things on both walls?

Perhaps -- that table UNDER the tv, the ledges with things and leave the other wall completely blank. We all need spaces to rest our eyes (and I'm not good at that at Linderhof - LOL!)

Martha

Posts: 6385 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Martha, I think you are right. It would look too busy. That was probably my problem. I couldn't seem to make it work. Whatever I thought about putting on that other wall would seem to compete or clutter up the TV wall, which seems like it has to be the main decorating wall.

If I go ahead and get a table, then I can see what I want as far as ledges, etc. I do really like the PB ones, and I think with some white in pictures, it should hopefully keep the chairs from blending in too much with the wall.

Is this style and color of table what you all would put in there, or do you envision something else?

P.S. I just thought of something. Will I be able to put the pet dishes under this table with that bar going across there? I may have to go with more of a parsons table.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I think the dishes would go under the table but whether the pets can eat out of them -- I would not be sure of that!

Crayon -- for what you're trying to accomplish I think the table and chairs fit well -- and they look comfortable (the chairs!) That, the comfortableness, is very important in chairs.

Martha

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I love both of the art works you pictured and would like either of them much better than a grouping of smaller things.

To use Aychihuahua's word they are more "dramatic" and that is what you need on that red!

Remember this is a kitchen and while those table walls will not get as dirty as near the stove, you don't want to do a lot of unnecessary cleaning of decorative items.

As far as the wall under the t.v. Couldn't you have someone make you a shelf that goes completely across that space? It could serve as a counter, if necessary or just a decorative space. It would complete the end of the wall. Doesn't have to be too fancy, maybe hung from wall on brackets.

Posts: 13131 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Will comment more tommorow when time permits...but I still like the assortment of frames on that wall vs one large piece....and I agree with Lady of Shallot...one long ledge at base of tv would look too odd up higher with visual eye going above unit....not to be a clutter collector but for come what may to suit your current mood? Other thought, yes I wondered too if pets could still fit over and eat under there otherwise I love the style of that table looks sturdy with cross bars below.

I was pondering today how this would look over tv... Big Grin...

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
or this one would go better with table on other wall style...could build something similar? Disguise floating tv when not in usage...?

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Linderhoff, the chairs are very comfortable.

LOS, I'm not sure what all is meant by "dramatic" other than some big pieces of art. I could have someone make me a shelf, but are you talking about all the way across and attaching to the other walls? And are you talking about a simple type shelf or something more chunky looking? And in a wood stain or in white like the trim color? I found this reclaimed wood ledge that is really rustic looking. I don't know if it's too rustic, or if it's wide enough, but you can get something like this in different lengths. Or I could get some wood to make a simple ledge.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/15...-shelf?ref=related-2

GreenAlice, I like the first pic better for my space for disguising a TV, but I don't think my DH would go for it. He is quite practical, and we don't always agree on cosmetic vs. practicality here.

Here's a pic of what I think you have been suggesting as a ledge across my wall. I'm sure white is not the color you have in mind, but here's the line going across the wall. Serving table or decorator items, etc. could be put on there.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I love the way this is painted/stained.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/15...2&ga_search_type=all

posted Hide Post
I am really liking the long ledge shelf idea...this way it doesn't take up any floor space or possibly crowd the space between the back wall and your table/chairs.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I am too, Always. However, I'm trying to find some pics of this sort of thing done and can't seem to find any. I'll keep looking.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I really love this and I think it could look nice in my kitchen. I also like it centered on the wall and not going all the way across the wall and attaching to an adjacent wall.

Do you like it? I should be able to get someone to make something like this for me.

http://www.houzz.com/floating-shelf/p/24

posted Hide Post
I would definitely add a centerpiece for the table. That always adds something and they are very easy to make.

I like the idea of grouping photos for the wall, I just did that myself for my room. I ordered some frames from Shutterfly, you might like those. Here's the link: http://www.shutterfly.com/photo-gifts/wall-art

As for the wall between the pantry door and door to the kitchen, maybe some sign related to cooking or wine. Or I saw these oversized forks and spoons in Home Goods the other day, that might look cute.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Posts: 21 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: Aug 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Hi Crayon!

Yes I like one long ledge but was thinking right under tv so there is space to right or left of tv but those cute little succulents containers would go nicely there?!?! Big Grin Bet you could make one easy and just add some trim to give a lip then paint over or stain....depends on what you do on other wall...ha ha....AND today when at Home Depot scoping out blinds I noticed a set of mirrors that mimic the pattern of that runner you were eyeing....Barlett 3 pc Martha stewart but also was a set of 5 circles Seneca....isn't the top one the pattern of the terra cotta rug?

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
And I love that ledge above...see a few candles...simple not over clutted display....and thinking those battery operated candles so no kitties are singed just in case... Wink. Maybe a clock on the left with low succulents and something taller on right?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GreenAlice,

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
GreenAlice, those mirrors definitely look like they go with that terra cotta rug. I like them!

I love that entry that I posted. Upon more reflection, however, I realize that a shelf like that is too narrow to accomplish what I want for my space. I couldn't use it as a serving table. Another thing is that as beautiful as it all looks in that picture, my room is a rusty red, and I think that a dark wood shelf or cabinet would only get lost in the wall color and would not give me the separation I need between the chairs and the wall. I think a white shelf or cabinet would do that, or at least that is what I see whenever I walk into my kitchen.

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Yep pick up your trim color! I am doing wainscoting on my lower wall with my trim color...someday to give texture and break up the color....I have a built in hutch of cupboards on my far wall of similar area and a doorwall on your empty wall and my pantry on your window wall, if that makes sense...I don't have much wall display at all 'cept left of pantry and partial wall against fridge on kitchen side....there is my clock! So it's fun to play with your unfinished room! Big Grin

I like your table in that space...and you do have a dining room right? So probably won't be doing a larger table there either. I was thinking kitty dishes were on blank wall side earlier but now see they are under window rather out of way visually and trafficwise which is good. AND KEEP THAT PLANT! I love tropicals! Especially in the winter time here!
Glad you like the mirrors...when I was at Homegoods this morning I saw all kinds of mirrored thingys with that shape... Eek So many choices what will Crayon DO?!!? Can't wait to find out! Smile

Do you have enough clearance to do a narrow decorative yet functional cupboard with storage and a serving spot? I can see that on the long blank wall for spacing but you are better suited to judge being there....boy it's hard to decide on one wall let alone both functioning together! Guess function needs to dictate fashion... Razz

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry that I haven't been able to post in a while. Life has been getting in the way. However, after contemplating different things and looking at different wall art and consoles/buffets/floating shelves, this is where I am at right now in my thought process.

I have found a few pieces of art that may or may not work in my kitchen. The kitchen sayings may look good in the area between my pantry and the doorway to dining area and living room. I took a picture of it before I bothered to hang it in case I need to return it. Hopefully, you can tell whether you think it would work or not.

The artwork of the birch trees is probably way too small, but I loved it, so I decided to bring it home and see if there was a way to make it work. I also tried to find out who the artist was so I could find out if there was a much larger size available and in a vertical shape. I was unsuccessful, as there is no artist name on the painting. I loved the colors against my wall color, and I love birch trees.

As far as the furniture piece under the TV goes, my DH thought if he brought the TV down further on the wall, it would not need anything underneath it. However, we still have the problem of chair colors blending into the wall color. Not good. We also were thinking that since the adjacent wall has more room there actually than the TV wall does for a table, it looks like it would look good there. But I keep coming back to thinking the TV wall probably makes the most sense for putting something to break things up. After looking at many buffets and consoles, I found that either they are not wide enough or they are too deep. So I am now wondering if a floating cabinet like the one posted below would work. The cabinets are white, from Ikea, but I could use a dark brown or black wood on the top and sides of the cabinets. If I do something like this, I feel a large piece of artwork on adjacent wall would be good. Do you think white would be the wrong color here and that I should go with a darker color on the cabinets?

What do you all think? Suggestions and advice always appreciated.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Birch trees on canvas.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
cabinets.

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
KEEP KEEP KEEP that adorable word art...it flows with your space imho....in that spot it looks perfectly sized too.

I really like the trees too and paired with a table or some other things ok, but by itself on that wall I think it cannot carry alone. Of course I like the multiframes pictured above floating cabinet....Big Grin Like the fact tree bark mimics background of word art...and it's shape being an elongated rectangle is right on cue for a singlular piece.

I think floating cabinets may be great idea because of depth control and functionality the storage would provide....and gives that vertical shelf that could be used as buffet thingy. You could even add faux legs if you feel it needs grounding! Smile

These opinions are those of GreenAlice and I am in no way a interior decorator nor do I follow the rules...I just say it as I see it... Razz Big Grin

Good to see you Crayon!

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
P.S. and yes I think the white is best too...strong colors elsewhere, white accents it's a solid choice as opposed to a wood tone which you already have on your cupboards!

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Hi GreenAlice, thank you for being so gratious in your continued help. I really appreciate it a lot!

I'm glad you like the word art piece for that space. I'll keep that.

I agree that the birch tree artwork is way too small for that wall, and I don't know if and what I might put on that wall underneath it, so it may have to be returned unless I can find another spot for it in my home. Frown

As for what you said about the floating cabinets and "vertical shelf," did you mean horizontal shelf? Do you think the outside should be done in dark wood or black as was done in this picture? I really like it that way and think maybe expresso or black wood would be nice around the cabinets. Also, you know I am talking about the floating shelf for the TV wall, right? Not the adjacent wall. If I do go that route, I can add some black and white framed photos on that wall too, but may need to leave the adjacent wall empty. I don't want it to be too busy.

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Oops yes I mean horizontal...Big Grin And think a dark top would tie in with your dark counters, but the white cabinets would POP.....and tv wouldn't look so lonely. I agree. If you place that on tv wall you don't want to do another table on adjacent wall....still thinking there will be alot of rectangles going on....keep thinking on a wall clock you said you need somewhere....but probaly more functional on tv wall. Wonder how a huge wall clock would do on adjacent wall?!??! Roll Eyes
Like the birch don't think one thing will do...except maybe a longer wider rectangle....or plates hung of different sizes?!?! Trying to think of something with texture that ties those surrounding walls together without competing.

LOL I have been seeing morrocan inspired mirrors for your entry EVERYWHERE!!! What a popular pattern from that terra cotta rug....BBB had some rugs in beige with a creamy print similar but no runner. Big Grin

Doesn't it feel good to get the bigger things done? It's these darn details that need so much thought!!! Smile I can't seem to make up my mind until the next layer is done and I can actually see things better.

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Maybe a long rectangle mirror would be unobtrusive but throw light around? Like a windowpane one to mimic your windows across room? But there we go...more rectangles. Well I guess the light is round and if you do a round wall clock it would be enough....plants too.....imo.