Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Budget Kitchen Re-do
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget Kitchen Re-do Sign In/Join 
Picture of applejam
posted
Hi everyone! I don't get a chance to come on here much. But, we finished our kitchen...well almost, just need to install glass inserts on a few cabinets. Smile

Before - it was a dark cave

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Mar 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post
After - light & bright now Smile

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post
Added new crown molding & painted white cabinets

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post
Marble tile backsplash

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post
New sink & faucet

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post
Last one Smile

posted Hide Post
The "before" may have been a dark cave but it was lovely. The "after" is absolutely STUNNING and FABULOUS. You get an A+ only because I can't give you a highest rating. GORGEOUS!!!!

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
It looks great. I am a huge fan of white kitchens!

Posts: 12933 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really looks wonderful. Know you will enjoy it. Serious envy here.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6338 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great job! Enjoy!

Posts: 4137 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
Love me some white cabinets...elegant, always in fashion...I'm in absolute envy here as well!

Posts: 1980 | Location: Somewhere In the Middle | Registered: Nov 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Welcome back. LOVE the transformation.

Posts: 18729 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Wow, the new kitchen is awesome. So fresh and clean looking. I just love it. You get an A+

Posts: 4772 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
Oh I LOVE YOUR sink and faucet!!!! Your whole kitchen looks great. Smile

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7665 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lovely.

Posts: 3495 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Wow! great transformation! I love white cabinets.

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Hi applejam, we've missed you! Way to come back with a BANG. Your kitchen looks amazing. LOve all the changes you've made and just in time for Thanksgiving! Enjoy it.

Posts: 10511 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
You must be so happy with your beautiful new kitchen!!!

Posts: 3227 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your kitchen turned out so wonderful. You sure have great taste. Love it all!! What is the paint color that you used? I have a similar design as yours and needing to repaint---love the color your chose.

Posts: 1482 | Registered: Sep 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Please tell us your method and shortcuts on your painting cabinets experience....and products used...type o' paint etc. THANKS!

Looks really wonderful! Cool

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7374 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
New flooring too!? What is that...it looks really special....Smile

Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Nice change Smile I've been seeing a lot of White Kitchens lately, they are the gold standard these days.

How do you like your new fridge with the freezer drawer on the bottom? Do you find it's easy to get in there?

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Oooh I just noticed she has TWO drawers...I only have one freezer drawer on bottom and doors same as top but no water disp. I like the wide opening with both doors open to put sheets of things in like cookies that need to chill a bit first...cakes...TURKEYS. More flexibility with shelving....and as for the bottom, I use it probably once a day and has pull out shelves and a deeper bin on bottom so most things I need in a jif I place on upper levels. I will always want that setup! Smile

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Your kitchen is so fresh and bright now, what an incredible change....well done!

Posts: 2829 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!!! We're really happy with it too. Smile

Now, I have a question and hopefully some of you can chime in with responses.

I've been debating on whether to put something on top of the kitchen cabinets. Should I leave it bare or add something on top?

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gages Granny:
Your kitchen turned out so wonderful. You sure have great taste. Love it all!! What is the paint color that you used? I have a similar design as yours and needing to repaint---love the color your chose.

Thanks so much! We had a professional painter spray it and he recommended Dunn Edwards - Swiss Coffee.

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreenAlice:
Please tell us your method and shortcuts on your painting cabinets experience....and products used...type o' paint etc. THANKS!

Looks really wonderful! Cool

Thank You!!

I can't take credit because we had it professionally painted. I know he used Dunn Edwards - Swiss Coffee.

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreenAlice:
New flooring too!? What is that...it looks really special....Smile

Yep, we had engineered hardwood installed throughout the living, dining, kitchen and nook area for continuity. We bought it at Lumber Liquidators and I can't remember the name but it was one of those hand scraped hardwoods.

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wendek:
Nice change Smile I've been seeing a lot of White Kitchens lately, they are the gold standard these days.

How do you like your new fridge with the freezer drawer on the bottom? Do you find it's easy to get in there?

Our appliances were the same as the before pic. But it's funny, when people come over - they think we got new appliances, LOL. We absolutely love having the freezer drawer in the bottom. And I love having the 2 drawers in the bottom because I didn't want to have to search for things and remove them to get to the bottom, this way it provided easier access for me.

Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by applejam:
Thanks everyone!!! We're really happy with it too. Smile

Now, I have a question and hopefully some of you can chime in with responses.

I've been debating on whether to put something on top of the kitchen cabinets. Should I leave it bare or add something on top?

For the short term you could put a string of holiday lights up there for ambient lighting during the holidays or for a night light effect thru the year. I put a string of white for Christmas last year and plug them in periodically, they light up the room quietly. Now that it's dark early, I like an un-dark room. Smile

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
LOVE the changes!
WOW
Plantation shutters
Back splash
sink and faucet
Flooring throughout
painted cabinets
Crown

Lighting for in the evening to light up the ceiling area would be nice. I have seen rope lighting used this way, just put on top at the back and secure straight so lights will look more straight... need electrical access, and rope lighting can be purchased by the foot on a roll (or joined) then made to have a way to plug it in.

If you add a collection up on top of the cabinets, put them on lifts so they can be seen better.

_

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9806 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
That's what I want done...someone to spray...at least the doors...take them away and bring em back DONE!Smile Swiss Coffee! That is my bedroom trim color...pretty! Yep that spray finish looks awesome!!! Thanks for the information....Big Grin

Oh and I like putting a plant or two up there....I especially like Pothos think I have golden pothos up above my stove and it is draught tolerant and grows rapidly to give elongated strands yet takes haircuts super well.
Too many items tend to look cluttery imho....have fun playing with that space!

Picture of lenie
posted Hide Post
I am remodeling my kitchen too. I love your backsplash! Where did you purchase? What is the color? Thanks!

Posts: 811 | Location: southern | Registered: Nov 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!!!! I redid my kitchen last spring - and painted the cabinets - so much brighter!

enjoy using it in this upcoming holiday season!

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5593 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kw2
posted Hide Post
Looks great!!!!

Posts: 4297 | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
What spices of wood are the cabinets? I ask because coverage has a lot to do with the grain. Also, since you stated they were sprayed, what prep was involved, how many coats of paint, the type of paint, was there a primer applied first (type), and I assume the cabinets had to be removed since they were sprayed??? These answers would be very helpful to those of us contemplating painting our kitchen cabinets.

As for merchandising above the cabinets, they look clean now and anything you should display there is going to require cleaning. rope lighting however encases the string lights and will provide ambient lighting assuming you have a close outlet or two.

If still considering making above the cabinetry a display area, a few spaced vignettes to evoke the feel you seek can be rendered. Keep in mind these things...
Visibility from below (scale is important)
Variance in height/shapes/textures
Theme or collection
Use of risers if needed
odd number rule per grouping

Some items that could qualify, but are not limited to...

Ceramic pieces such as roosters, chef, pig, fowl, fish, rabbit, etc.
Crockery/pottery
Copperware
Birdcages/birdhouses
Framed signs, recipes, prints, tiles on an easel
Topiary forms/greenery
Baskets
Cookie jar
Canisters
Decorative tins or boxes
Standing words or letters
Clock
standing weathervane
Book on a stand
Dish on a stand
Faux fruit, veggies, breads, etc.
Decorative cake stands,
Vintage appliances

Frankly, I prefer the clean, uncluttered look.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18729 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Applejam,

You've accomplished a nice re-do for your kitchen. Amazing how painting the cabinets changes the whole look. Thanks for sharing!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9489 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post
Thank you all - your comments mean a lot to me!

And thanks to those who chimed in on suggestions for what to place above the cabinets.

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lenie:
I am remodeling my kitchen too. I love your backsplash! Where did you purchase? What is the color? Thanks!

Thanks! It's a marble tile backsplash that we purchased from Lowes. We used white grout instead of gray because I wanted more white to show. And the tile was surprisingly inexpensive - I wanted something budget friendly. And after seeing it all together, I'm really happy we did it.

Picture of applejam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
What spices of wood are the cabinets? I ask because coverage has a lot to do with the grain. Also, since you stated they were sprayed, what prep was involved, how many coats of paint, the type of paint, was there a primer applied first (type), and I assume the cabinets had to be removed since they were sprayed??? These answers would be very helpful to those of us contemplating painting our kitchen cabinets.

As for merchandising above the cabinets, they look clean now and anything you should display there is going to require cleaning. rope lighting however encases the string lights and will provide ambient lighting assuming you have a close outlet or two.

If still considering making above the cabinetry a display area, a few spaced vignettes to evoke the feel you seek can be rendered. Keep in mind these things...
Visibility from below (scale is important)
Variance in height/shapes/textures
Theme or collection
Use of risers if needed
odd number rule per grouping

Some items that could qualify, but are not limited to...

Ceramic pieces such as roosters, chef, pig, fowl, fish, rabbit, etc.
Crockery/pottery
Copperware
Birdcages/birdhouses
Framed signs, recipes, prints, tiles on an easel
Topiary forms/greenery
Baskets
Cookie jar
Canisters
Decorative tins or boxes
Standing words or letters
Clock
standing weathervane
Book on a stand
Dish on a stand
Faux fruit, veggies, breads, etc.
Decorative cake stands,
Vintage appliances

Frankly, I prefer the clean, uncluttered look.

The cabinets are oak and our painter said you would still see the grain with oak cabinets. I actually didn't mind and it's barely noticeable. They cleaned, used a de-glosser, primed and did 3 coats of Dunn Edwards paint (Swiss Coffee). They did remove the cabinet fronts and sprayed them in our garage. Everything was taped and protected.