Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Update -- Turning a small closet into a shelving unit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update -- Turning a small closet into a shelving unit Sign In/Join 
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted
I am re-doing my husband's TV room. There is a small closet (3 x 3 ft. maybe?) in this room and because of the room size and short wall space for sofa, this closet has never been of much use. I've mainly used it as his hunting clothes closet. We open the door maybe once a year Smile To access this closet I would have to move the end table and literally climb over the end of the sofa. I'm thinking of turning this closet in to an open shelving unit. Have been trying to google for pictures but can't seem to find anything. Can someone help me with pictures?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Posts: 2200 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
One disadvantage would be the door trim, hinge cutouts, etc. You can add molding though to cover (that can be removed later on if it needed to be a closet again, necessary to be called a bedroom if you list the house for sale)

Second disadvantage is the depth! The depth is way too deep for shelving. Also even if you make them shallow.... dusting and accessing shelves also would involve 'climbing over end of sofa'.

I am sure others will chime in with other suggestions and solutions!

Posts: 9701 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
This isn't an office but maybe it will help.

http://littlecottageonthepond....o-open-shelving.html

Here is another.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annie17,

Posts: 7979 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
One disadvantage would be the door trim, hinge cutouts, etc. You can add molding though to cover (that can be removed later on if it needed to be a closet again, necessary to be called a bedroom if you list the house for sale)

Second disadvantage is the depth! The depth is way too deep for shelving. Also even if you make them shallow.... dusting and accessing shelves also would involve 'climbing over end of sofa'.

I am sure others will chime in with other suggestions and solutions!

Thanks Mary Ruth. You're right about the dusting but it would still be a more useful space than the way it is now. I'm probably a bit off on the measurements it is probably no more than 2 feet deep so the depth of the shelves shouldn't be a problem. I definitely didn't want it to look like a closet without a door so the carpenter is framing it out with moulding and I'm having a mirror installed at the back of the shelves for reflection. Thanks for your input!

Posts: 2200 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annie17:
This isn't an office but maybe it will help.

http://littlecottageonthepond....o-open-shelving.html

Here is another.

Thank you Annie. This helps me with visualization of what mine will look like.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Tho the shelves will be deep, you can use baskets boxes or bins to conceal the stash attractively. This solution will make dusting easier too. If you want to " pull a Martha" Wink, hang decorative tags on the front of the baskets for IDing the contents. Pulling a basket off the shelf allows quick retrieving of their contents too.

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Love this Froo especially the lighting though I doubt hubby will allow me to install a chandy!
I like the baskets. DH's chair will be near to this area and if I could just train him to put his reading glasses, books, etc. in the basket on the shelf instead of dropping them beside his recliner I would be happy, happy, happy Smile

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Thanks Annie for the pics...now I can visualize shelving in my recessed opening better! I like how they chunked out the edge for a more finished look! Smile

Good Luck Georgia....I love that curvy shelf with chandelier too...but wouldn't go over with the men in my home Razz

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7310 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I love chandies, but not in your case tho illumination via a can light could help. Even a down turned sconce just above this recessed area would be of help. I posed the pic mainly to illustrate a pull out drawer option.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Example of the style of lighting above the built in shelves...

http://www.westelm.com/product...acet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thank you Froo. You are always so helpful. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd post a pic of the before and afters...

BEFORE ...

This room was way overdue for a transformation. Had just pulled up the carpet and removed the gas fireplace. I was afraid my remodeler was going to run when he saw the work he was in for with refinishing the wood floor Smile

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
After...

Not quite finished but you can see the difference!

With the closet door out of the way I have more space on the wall for furniture.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
another after ....

Thanks for the inspiration pictures and ideas.

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
oooh I kind of liked the wagon wheel light fixture...Big Grin. But the fan is more multifunctional! Nice look with keeping the balance and making that closet work for you! Smile

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7310 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Great job and you NEEDED us? Wink

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I don't know how I missed this post. Sorry Georgia, don't know why I didn't see this. It looks great what you have done, I love it. The cabinet came out so cute. What a pretty room.
In one of my spare bdrms I did something similar. I took out the one shelf and the thing you have your clothes on. And put all shelving in there. I also took down the sliding closet doors and put in by fold wooden shutter doors. I'm loving all the extra storage area that I have now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

Posts: 4688 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
Wow I love that, it looks so nice! It really changed the look of the room and I like how you have doors so you still have some storage in there. The mirrors give great reflection of things in the room. Good eye for what you wanted, it came out great!

Posts: 1026 | Registered: Oct 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone. Nothing was smooth in this 60+ year old room. The frame around the mirror was built because the mirror wouldn't lay flat on the wall due to a slight bulge in the sheetrock. I wanted the frame stained the color of the fireplace but it had already been done when I got home yesterday. Didn't have the heart to say anything to the remodeler. He had a time with this room from floor to ceiling! The pictures that I will hang will be nearer the color to the mirror frame so I think it will look fine once everything is in place. I'm especially pleased with the closet conversion. It is much more useful this way.

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Ooooo... Nice. I love the fireplace!!

Posts: 9542 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Georgia,

A nice re-do for the closet space. Great job getting it all done so fast too.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9427 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thanks Always and BR. BR, the closet conversion only took about 2 days but the entire room took 11. My remodeler kept apologizing for taking so long. He also rescreened a porch for me so I wasn't bothered with the time it took him.

posted Hide Post
I guess what
quote:
annie17
suggested is perfect. Try to do that way. And if you need every stuff in your cabinet safe and in place, install fiber glass door in it. You can get that one at caldwells.com, it is quality door shop near Bay Area, San Francisco.

Posts: 3 | Location: USA | Registered: Nov 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Looks really good -- am impressed -- such a good idea and a really good job!

Martha

Posts: 5787 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thank you Martha. It was a much needed and overdue improvement. Can you believe I'm still working on window treatments for this room and still need to hang wall decor. I'm SO slow Smile