Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  paint or not to paint ....that is the ? UPDATED PIC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

paint or not to paint ....that is the ? UPDATED PIC Sign In/Join 
Picture of annielinz
posted
I have my paint brush out and I painted a little side table the same color as the buffet. It's going in the dining "area".

My question is, do I paint the two black chairs at the head of the dining table the same color or keep them black.

I have six of these chairs, so if I don't like it painted blue I have 4 others in black I can use.

I'm going to take a gamble here and paint one and see if I like it or not. The color will work at the desk in the master bedroom so its not a loss.

Would still like to hear your opinions.

Heres the chair next to the newly painted side table.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annielinz,

Posts: 2828 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
and here they are black in the dining room.

took this pic real quick quality not great

Posts: 2828 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure where the color blue comes in. I thought you were asking about painting them either white like that table that you did such a great job on or keep them black with a fresh color of black paint.
If so, I vote for black chairs with the white table.
Normally, I also think I would like white chairs but feel it would be too much white in one spot.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I LIKE the two end chairs black, your table is black so they tie in...

If you want to distress then so the same color as the table top shows, that would work...

I like the small table you painted to coordinate!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
I vote for painting the chairs the color of the buffet! Will be lovely!~

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
LIKE the two end chairs black, your table is black so they tie in...

this would be my choice since the apron of the table is also black. That would be a more suitable match than the buffet which doesn't have the same connection.

Since you have seat cushions maybe the blue could come in there?

Posts: 12580 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.

Arepo, the buffet is actually a sea glass blue green color which is the color I'm wanting to paint the chair.

I'm using the same paint color on the chair as the buffet.

Here is the chair partially done....I don't let moss grow under my feet-LOL

I plan on distressing it after it dries some....I like it so far Smile

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Annie can you put the chair you just painted the Sea glass next to your table. I need to see it at the table to see if I like the black or sea glass chairs. I can't decide without seeing it set up.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
The lighting is not good in the dining area right now, so the chair reads bluer than it really is.

here's a picture of the chair

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Hmmm I think I like it. I like how it ties in with the cabinet. Love the color. How about a farther back picture. LOL....

Posts: 4701 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Of course the chair came out awesome, and IF you paint the apron/bottom part of the table you will have chased away the black...
That leads us to the chandelier!

Domino effect!

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Haha lilsophie and Mary Ruth!!

I'm working on the second chair....and I will probably paint out the apron, but will have to do it when DH is off golfing....possibly Thursday Smile

Mary Ruth I'm OK with the chandelier, it's actually an oil rubbed bronze not black. It works, its huge and it's not centered....that bugs me more.
I don't want to open that can of worms so its a keeper!
Back to chair # 2

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Darn you Mary Ruth....Smile

So while waiting for the other chair to dry, I painted the apron...now I will HAVE to do the legs, but that will wait till Thursday....

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Where's my "LIKE" button!! Looks great!!

Posts: 9579 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Awww Annie,

The update look is delightful. That color is soft and fresh and moves the room into a different direction. So fun to see the changes happen-like magic!

The apron painted looks nice! Great progress with your DR re-do.

Since you mentioned it...keep your paint brush out for the chandy too. LOL.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
WOW, I'm loving it. It does look fresh and soft looking.
""How we play when dear husband is away""

OH....And have someone move the Chandy when DH is away too....LOL

Question Annie...Do you put a primer on before you do the actual paint color? Was wondering for my own info.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

posted Hide Post
I like it! But I agree with you about keeping the chandy oil-rubbed; it ties in with the other darker accents. BUT, now I would like to see a darker wall color (ducking head, dodging bullets - lol!)

Posts: 4080 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitalynn:
I like it! But I agree with you about keeping the chandy oil-rubbed; it ties in with the other darker accents. BUT, now I would like to see a darker wall color (ducking head, dodging bullets - lol!)

I think she just painted the walls that color Nita, if I remember correctly,. LOL

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Thank you Always, Beau and lilsophie.

lilsophie, I did not prime this time.
Since I was going for a distressed look and the paint that was on there previously wasn't super shiny, or chipped, I sanded ever so lightly, wiped it down and just painted right over it.

I am very unconventional when it comes to painting furniture, and so far I have had great results.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilsophie:
quote:
Originally posted by Nitalynn:

I think she just painted the walls that color Nita, if I remember correctly,. LOL

I kind of thought that, but I couldn't remember for sure; that's why I was ducking...

Posts: 4080 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Very pretty Annie!

Posts: 7983 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
YES, oil rubbed is a GOOD THING! Keep!

I LOVE the NEW LOOK! The fresh paint on the apron makes the set look more like a set... more in the mid-range of color depth and relationship to each other.

LOVE IT! YOU are on a ROLL!!!

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn-hahaha no need to duck your head, but those walls are staying! After having my peanut-butter colored walls at the old house, I'm loving the lack of color.

Nitalynn and Mary Ruth...phew, glad you agree on the light...DH would kill me if I painted that beast.

Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
love the lighter tones you choose. it looks so fresh and bright..

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9987 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Strange. My monitor shows no blue at all -- only white.
And now that you have changed the table apron color, I definitely vote for changing the chairs to the same color and dropping black altogether. It looks great.

Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5710 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
It looks lovely. Liked it before, love it now.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
OK, FIRST of all I LOVE what you have done in this room! I reviewed it this morning and thought I should leave my remarks.

First:
You were committed to making this room an UPGRADE, not just a quick fix. You may not have thought it through to the end before beginning, BUT you had the attitude of seeing it through until you achieve what you wanted, which was to have a cohesive look and a well done project.

So far the room is looking well put together and a pleasure to watch coming together. I LOVE your fearless approach, and you are like this because you trust your instincts and know you will not paint yourself in a corner!

I understand your 'color' in one house and break from it in another! I used to see color all the time at work, and when I went home, I wanted to clear my palette with white in my house.

Thank you for bringing us INTO your project to walk it through with you! It is a good teaching project as well as seeing how things progress and modeling the 'domino' effect' that works out in the end.

I know your home is going to be beautiful and rise with each project you do! Smile I look forward to your future photos as you progress in your incredible nesting abilities!

Thanks for sharing, it was brave and generous of you and a PLEASURE to watch from my seat at home void of flying debris and paint smell! LOL

IDEA:
IF you want the legs of the table to kind of 'go away' and not stand out so much, you could tie them into the buffet top color brown, that way they would blend in more with floor and still be part of the 'look' you have going. Yes, keep the apron the green color and see if you like that mix. NOT required to do for the room, but I thought of it and figured I would mention it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Mary Ruth
Like stamp sm
*****We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are! ***** (Anaias Nin)***** http://pinterest.com/mary_ruth/

atta girl

posted Hide Post
Back to say the colors are reading with more contrast on my monitor at work than they did at home, so I will retract my darker wall statement and stop ducking Big Grin

I like Mary Ruth's brown table legs idea.

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
I love what you've done with the chairs and the apron of the table. The new color ties in so much better with the texture of the other 4 chairs. I think the only thing that would make this even better is to somehow miraculously have the ORB chandy centered over the table. I know that's not as easy a fix though. You are doing a great job on this room.

Posts: 9010 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, I love your take on this! You say fearless, some would say crazy....I like your fearless better.
I'm still am on the fence with the legs. I don't want them to stand out and right now they fade into the background and you really can't see them with the kubu wicker chairs. Brown would definitely be an option, thank you for that idea!
The only thing bugging me this morning was the top of the table. So being "fearless" I got out my dark walnut stain and wiped it on the top. I'm liking it,however it does show more of the imperfections on the top. I wanted to match the buffet top more.

Nitalynn, I was skeptical about going no color on the walls, but we visited the old house completely empty and it cemented my decision to lighten up.

Paintlady, thank you.
Bottom line, that light will stay put....at least for now Smile

Heres with the darker stain, not sure if you will notice much of a difference but in real life its darker....

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Lookin good Annie. I see a difference in the stained top, it looks great darker. Good Job..

posted Hide Post
Looks good - I do see a difference! Also I like the picture with the lamps off; the glow they were casting was tinting the wall pink to my eye. It looks a nice cream in this last pic.

Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
Simply Beautiful. Love that you did the chairs to match the buffet.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With that last picture I finally see the blue.
What a difference. The room looks great now!

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
It looks fantastic! I like the chairs so much better this color than the black. It gives the room a much softer, lighter feel.

I know what you mean about the chandy. I have one in my kitchen that isn't centered and it drives me bonkers! I can't for the life of me figure out why the builder didn't center it.

Posts: 10496 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
I love the new fresher color.

It is all coming together nicely.

Does the chandy have a chain?
Could you use a hook centered over the table and just swag the chandy into place?

It may be that the electrician took the easy way out when wiring the house and just placed the electrical box for the light fixture on the closest ceiling joist, instead of adding a cross piece to allow the fixture to be centered.

The builder doesn't always notice those details as they leave that up to the electrician.

Don't know if that is what happened in your case, but could be a possibility.

Anyway, I'm loving all your projects. I'd get more of mine done, except I'm out on the golf course, LOL.

TFS,
Candy

Posts: 1302 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
WOW, you are on a ROLL here! BEAUTIFUL! You are fearless, AND I think you are going to LOVE this room and the reaction you receive for it with family and guests!

You deserve another Atta Girl! You have coordinated your pieces without making them matchy matchy! I LOVE the outcome!

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Thank you again everybody!
I'm so pleased when I walk into the room. It's funny in my old house I was on a "paint it black" kick, now with this place it just screams light and beachy casual.
When we bought this place I pictured a long distressed trestle type table, but keeping the old one and reworking it not only gave me a project but it works with the space.
Christmas candy, no the chandy has no chain, just a long pole.
Here I angled the table and the chandy is centered over the table....could work.
What do ya think??

posted Hide Post
I LIKE that! (angled table) It centers it under the light AND shows more of the buffet.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Or you could turn the table a tad more. So the length of the table is the length of the window. Give that a try for another option.

Annie, can you ride a bike or walk to the beach from where you live now?

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Well duh me, why didn't I think of that lilsophie....see this is where other eyes come into play.

This would work too, its a little crowded over on this side of the room and when DH is sitting here he can't see the TV....and you know men and their TV's!!!

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I like the table like that, because its directly under the hanging light. I think u should leave it like that until you can have the light moved.
So he wants to see tv while he's eating dinner? LOL
I do understand that, we watch tv while we eat too. lol

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Hahah, I prefer the TV off, but if there's a game on.....

I'll see if he notices when he comes home.

I forgot to answer your question lilsophie. I could ride my bike to the beach but its a distance and all I have is a little beach cruiser, I would be huffing and puffing by the time I got there. Its just a short 10 minute drive.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annielinz:
Hahah, I prefer the TV off, but if there's a game on.....

I'll see if he notices when he comes home.

I forgot to answer your question lilsophie. I could ride my bike to the beach but its a distance and all I have is a little beach cruiser, I would be huffing and puffing by the time I got there. Its just a short 10 minute drive.

Awesome Annie, I love the beach too.

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
I say..from experience...to place your table for what functions the best :-)

oh BTW...I may be stealing your idea of your table centerpiece now that my table is big enough to having something decorative in the middle. On Interior Therapy the other night, the couple whos house was being re-done, had a box type tray with decorative items in it too.

Posts: 9579 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
I love that the turned the table. Perfect, now it's centered under the light fixture. I wish I had a thumbs up button!

Posts: 9010 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice Always....Go ahead and steal away, I probably stole it from somewhere myself. It does make it easier to move when they are all corraled together.

Well DH noticed the table moved and just shook his head. He asked if the movie Gaslight was one of my favorites. Smile

Thanks Paintlady, actually thank lilsophie it was her idea!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annielinz,