Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Help rearranging furniture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help rearranging furniture Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi. I just got two cute chairs on Craigslist and I'm having one wingback slipcovered white. Not sure how to incorporate these into my living room. Should I get rid of an end table. If slipcover come out nice might do other wingback or get rid of it. Open to any suggestions.

Qval

Posts: 29 | Registered: Oct 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couple more pics

posted Hide Post
1 more

Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
Hi val622~ This is just a suggestion, but have you tried to place two chairs in front of the window (where the sofa is currently)? Then put one of the side tables between the two chairs...probably the largest one.

Then move the sofa across from the coffee table. It might just be me, but I think it would look nice if two of the chairs matched in color. This would make a nice conversation area. Then if you keep the extra chair in the room, try it on the wall where the beadboard is along with a side table.

Just my thoughts~Smile

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
This pic shows the idea I was thinking about.

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
2nd idea~

posted Hide Post
So that makes 5 chairs total, Val? All upholstered pieces? BTW, is that an unframed mirror adjacent to the stairs?

I would go for balance and symmetry by squaring off (well, 3 sides, anyway) 4 chairs around the rug. So, that'd be 2 each end, facing each other, with the rug and sofa centered around the window.

Incidentally, to correct possible scale issues (?), you might also consider obtaining a slightly larger rug and definitely coffee table for your space. The sofa may be a tad too small, also. It could be the photo but the scale appears off.

I would only try placing the end tables after squaring off the chairs. A larger coffee table can service all 4 chairs. If the removal of the end tables will give you a lighting issue, that's easily remediable.

WRT the 5th chair, you could remove the mirror and angle that chair plus an end table next to the piano. In addition to the mirror, I would also consider removing the piano and placing 2 chairs plus an end table in that area to provide another seating zone.

The piano could possibly be centered along the wall with the wainscoting or the wall opposite the sofa. Floating the chairs around the rug (squared off) should provide a little extra room along the walls.

If the chairs are all upholstered and you have other chairs available in other rooms, I would consider switching out at least 1 of the upholstered chairs for an open arm chair to lighten up the room.

Good Luck - it appears to be a very pleasant room!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi great suggestions. Right now there are three chairs. The two red ones and a wingback Im waiting for a slipcover for. The other slipcover is in the garage. I dont think there is room for more. But If I like the slipcover look I might do the other one and get rid of one of the red check/plaid ones I got on craiglist. I will try moving furniture around and see how it goes.

thanks for all the ideas

val

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I actually really like where you are going with your room val622. I think it only needs a little tweaking.

It looks to me like the table against the wall by the red plaid chair is a match to the one beside the sofa. I would move that table to the other end of the sofa so that you have an end table on wither side of the sofa. It would be great to find a pair of matching lamps for on those end tables.

Then I would find a piece that doesn't match the end tables and coffee table for the wall between the plaid chair and the wing back chair. Maybe a small low chest of drawers or a small console. Something in a painted finish would bring variety to the room. I would pull the two chairs a little closer to the rug. A smaller lamp, that doesn't match the two lamps I suggested for either side of the sofa, and a largish piece of art would complete that elevation.

I would probably center the piano on the wall it is on, and dispense with the mirror on that wall.

The wall opposite the sofa could use a large piece of furniture, maybe something holding a TV. Something tall. An armoire would be pretty, especially if it was antique.

You have started to pull together a charming room, val622, you are just not quite there yet.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have already received some good advice. I have a couple of nit-picky suggestions. Your sofa has so many pillows, it looks as though there is no place to sit. The colours are pretty, however. And secondly, your family photos are hung too high. If you follow Cocok's suggestion to place a small low chest on the wall, try hanging the pictures over that but much closer to the chest. I notice you have two more family photos over by the fireplace too. Put those together with the others in a nice symmetrical arrangement.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I had all those pillow to keep my dog off sofa. I usually spread them out when I get home from work. I plan on rearranging all my pictures. I have two black and white large canvas ones on order. I moved the sofa and chairs. I will post a pic tonight. Not sure about that arrangement. I also moved the piano across from the window. That seems nice

Thanks again

posted Hide Post
Here aware some pics of different arrangements. Which looks best

posted Hide Post
Another way

Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
Val~ The 2nd way will help to keep your doggie off the couchSmile Couldn't help myself...

Ok, I'm not sure about the white couch against the with beadboard??

Question...Is that really a large mirror against the wall next to the piano (in the very first pic that you took) or is it an opening in the wall? I'm having trouble telling for sure.

For some reason, when I see a piano in a room, it reads "focal point" to me...especially if you (or others in your family) play it.Smile So I am viewing the room as more of a rectangle shape rather than square. Am I correct? If so, I feel that one of the walls (BB wall or wall across from it) would be the spot for the piano...kind of like the head of the table idea.

I am still curious if you tried the sofa across from the two chairs in front of the window? If so, how did it look? Was wondering if it affected the traffic flow or not??

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. That isn't a mirror. It's the stair leafing down to my foyer. I was actually wondering whAt posters were seeing. The sofa across from the winfiws actually takes up to much room. I'm not crazy about the sofa against the white wainscoting. But I do like the chairs in front of the window. I think I will live with this for a couple days and see if I like it. And your right I can't keep my dog off the furniture. I actually just ordered 2 scat mats Hopefully that will work

Txs

Picture of LibraDesignEye
posted Hide Post
I like the sofa in front of the beadboard, it makes it feel deliberate instead of a room that is half dining. Love the chairs in front there.

Posts: 2032 | Registered: Apr 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I really like the chairs in front of the window!!!! Ha....I also thought that you had a mirror leaning against the wall!!!

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I like the chairs in front of the window. I'm a big fan of not blocking window access, although I know sometimes it's unavoidable. Can you put that round table on the other side of the sofa to match the one on the right and use another one in front of the window?

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. There isn't enough room on the other side of the sofa since we need a space to walk. The room is kind of narrow and long

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Hi Val. I like the couch at the wall best, chairs at window.Place pillows back on couch for color. Place the matching tables on each end of sofa and find another table for between the 2 chairs. I would put the panio back on other wall, with the wingback chair as a sitting listening area. It will leave a walk way to the kitchen dinning room.
Also place all the family pictures on the wall in this area, above panio. That leaves other walls for art.

I agree the dog needs-loves to look outside. LOL. I think you have a lovely room.

Welcome to the boards.

Posts: 2991 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Val,

Another option is to keep the sofa on the window wall as you had it. Put the end tables on each end. One of the chairs would go on each end facing the coffee table. This would open the walkway area to the staircase but might "look" heavy on the sofa side.

Keep the white wing chair in the corner (as it is in first pics). Then put piano on that wall. Create a pic wall above the piano with the family pics.

Agree the pictures on the wall (backing up to DR) should be re-arranged. Perhaps a bookcase would fit on the wall and then the pictures hung over it.

Is that a bay window? or is there a sofa table there? Love those fabrics but would consider a repurpose of the WT. The plaid would make pretty roman shades on each end of the bay. Use the floral as a center valance.

Scroll down this link for the Top Tips for lighting.

http://www.1800lighting.com/lighting-blog/

Add either a floor lamp or larger sized lamps. The current ones seem too small for the scale of the room. You have great beginnings for a fun re-do. Have Fun!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks..I love fabric. Do you think its better to get rid of the check and floral drape window treatment since now my my chairs are check and maybe go with a small floral or toile. The curtains/drapes are just fabric I clipped up and trimmed and hemmed

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
what i'd like to know who has been helping you move the furniture? lol...you're lucky you don't seem to be tied to a tv and need the seating to watch, over conversation...

question? do you use the sofa for casual reading (stretched out version, lol) if you do, the natural light of the window would be the best spot...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi. I have been moving the furniture..My husband and daughter are away. Otherwise he would think Im nuts. We usually use the sofa for just hanging. If we read its usually on the chairs.