Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Hanging pictures over mantel(new pic added)...need help please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hanging pictures over mantel(new pic added)...need help please Sign In/Join 
Picture of KG in CA
posted
In all of our years here the walls in this room were covered, literally, with movie posters. Now it is my turn. How do I hang the three center pictures? The mantel is about 8' and there is a 40" space above to the ceiling. How far off the mantle do I go? I would also like to hang the round mirror sitting on the floor. Anything else is in there to see how the colors work. Thank you for your thoughts!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KG in CA,

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7513 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
The easiest way to play w/ a wall grouping, is to cut paper templets of each item and temporarily position them (equal spacing) via tape. Once you've achieved a pleasing and balanced grouping, you can hang the art/objects over each templet and carefully remove the templets. I am concerned however, that your pics are too small in scale to the fireplace (unless you plan on intermixing the mirror and some other objects among them that is). In re. to placement in conjunction to the mantel, there should not be too great a space as to create a disconect. If you do a gallery type arrangement, you need not place items on the mantle as the grouping may be too busy as to be pleasing to the eye.

Typically, one large item is placed over the mantel such as a framed print, painting or portrait, or even enlarged photography. Other options might be grillwork, tinwork, fretwork, a lg. plaque, a lg. clock, a large wall sconce, a large mirror, a framed map, a framed chalk board w/ inspirational or seasonal message, an iron gate, a large wreath or tapestry to name a few. In those cases, some items can be placed to each side on the mantel in either a symmetrical or asymmetrical grouping.

It is possible to still use your prints and visually enlarge them via a secondary frame over each existing frame. Leaving a void between the frames will act as a mat. Again, play with objects and placement. Your eye should tell you when you stand back, if it creates interest or visually is off. Do focus light onto this area.

Another alternative is to group same type objects such as ceiling medallions, mirrors, masks, framed botanicals or pressed flowers/leaves, corbels with candles in staggered rows.

If you leave the wall bare, you can still prop frames of different heights, a grouping of varied sizes/styles of lanterns, varied ceramics or pottery, a row of varied height/shape topiaries, a grouping of varied sizes/shapes of clocks (in this case, one large clock can be featured above)....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18688 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18688 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Froo hit the mark with the size and scale. I would find a large empty frame to surround the group or build one - and paint it black. The items you have are gorgeous next to that beautiful fireplace. The black is incredible and I love the dramatic vibe you've got.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3271 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Thank you Froo for all of the links, and for your comments. And thank you Junk Collector too!

I thought about the "empty frame" last night too. DH can put it together to get the right size if I go that route. How bulky should the frame be? I put up the templates and took a photo which shows the ceiling line. The paper pieces are 7" off the mantel.

Thanks again!

Posts: 7513 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some other mantel decoration ideas:
http://www.smallroomideas.com/...sy-and-stylish-ways/

In the end of the article there are a few pointers that might help you choose and balance your mantel decorations.

Good luck! Smile

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
You said you also wanted to hang the mirror that was sitting on the floor. You might play with this idea as the mirror might accentuate/compliment the sky in the pictures you also want to hang. It also adds height to the arrangement and gives it more presence...in theory. May be terrible IRL, but it's a thought.

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bella's mock up looks good! Adding tall pieces to each end of the mantle might create the framing effect without hanging one. Candles, florals, topiary - something with height.

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Tall & short accessories-just for kicks. Yeah, I'm procrastinating today, thus the goofing around. Roll Eyes

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
NOW we're cookin' Smile TOPIARIES on either side of Bella's grouping should look great. Greenery would bring some color to the display and easy to adapt seasonally as well.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Or twin shorter potted vines. I like how the arch of the grouping softens the liner design of the fireplace.

Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
No topiaries but put these in for a little height.
What say you?

posted Hide Post
You could also use tall vase with branches collected from the yard (or purchase from art or decor store). The natural element will really pop on the drama of the mantle. I really like the vase or is it a candle that you have. The graphic looks great with the photos.

The layout is looking good!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a bit of color there to draw the eye. If the prints are as neutral as they appear and your room scheme is also, consider a metallic object like antique gold finials that will be slim and tall. Play with mantel top objects, but maintain the symmetry if that's what you prefer. For instance, two round plates on plate stands will repeat the mirror shape. Twin mirrored boxes on either end would catch the light and repeat the mirror element. Play.

Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I am somewhat into birds and birdhouses, so when I saw this vase it spoke to me, LOL, and it is not what I would have noticed had it not been with birds & branches + I liked the 14" height. The photos are of branches.

Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Last picture for a bit - but keep posting & I'll keep reading. And Thank you!

ETA - the wall is gray but always look green in photos. I will look for something red to bring in as that is my go to accent color elsewhere. Yes, the room is blah, but we like it that way. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KG in CA,

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
In like the bird design candle holder, but I feel it blends too much with the pale walls. Try a red candle inside.