Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Update-wall project complete
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update-wall project complete Sign In/Join 
Picture of Michelle_
posted
This is our project thus far of opening wall up. Our orignal intent was to keep the bulkhead consistent across the top, until they had to remove the part above dining room entry to re do some framing. Now that they did that, it visually opens up the space more. The problem is they can not open up the rest the same way due to wiring etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Michelle_,

Posts: 504 | Location: NE PA | Registered: Jul 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
option 1 mock up, consistent across top

Posts: 504 | Location: NE PA | Registered: Jul 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
option 2, dining bulkhead higher than the rest

posted Hide Post
Is the dining area seperated from the kitchen area by a wall, or is it open? Option 1 feels better to me...more balanced, if the dining and kitchen is open to each other.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
think I have to agree with m/b...my eye would always be going "down hill" with the shorter piece...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Michelle,

I like the mock that is the same level across the opening. Add wide trim and paint out white.

We have a similar situation here too. We opened the original 6' slider and added a den. This a fairly recent pic although there is a set of decorative plates up there now.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9313 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Here is one of my inspiration pics for you. Love the extra wide trim.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
More options

pic

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Another option

pic

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
One more

pic

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Last one

pic

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Michelle, I think you can keep the high opening in the DR and the "fatter" one in the rest of the space IF you make a "fat" column down the left side. Know what I mean? if the whole opening in the right hand side is sort of boxed to match itself, the left side would look fine IMHO

Posts: 12135 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Michelle, your wall color is very close to mine. If it were me I would build the header the same across the entire area and frame it with wide trim. I've knocked out similar walls in my house and it's amazing the difference in the spaciousness and you will be surprised how the trim dresses it up. I'm now eyeing another area between my kitchen and dining room and DH just rolls his eyes.....here we go again Smile Good Luck!

Posts: 2129 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
The second inspiration looks like my living/dining room in my 1914 home. I am moving to Az so will have a whole new home to decorate.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love it, Hammerhugger! That's the same thing I thought when I saw it; we have one of those in the early 1900s home we just had dismantled and moved. It has the same trimwork as yours as well. I can't wait to rebuild/restore it and make it as beautiful as yours.

Not to highjack Michelle's thread - Michelle, my opinion would be to keep the header the same across for consistency.

Posts: 4016 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
The wall project is completed. We had an unfortunate circumstance (loss of employment) right in the middle of 2 projects. We had to use some pine wood we had for the snack top as a temporary fix. I need to either paint or stain it. The bar chairs are dark brown wood.

Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post

Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Looks good. TFS

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6168 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
Trying to decide on what color to stain wood.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Michelle, it just looks great. Do you want to repeat the color of the secretary, chairs etc?

Or light like the floors? this is a difficult decision and one we have just grappled with.

Very sorry to hear about job! Oh, lordy life can present problems sometimes.

Posts: 12135 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the job loss. Your opening came out great!

Posts: 9426 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your August 14th picture looks GREAT. I don't think I would stain anything to emphasize the opening.

The bar chairs look a little low for the counter. Are you planning to get new ones?

Sorry about your job loss. I know that must be very scary and destabilizing. Good luck on finding another one very soon!!!!

Posts: 1126 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post