Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  What do you think of this daybed?? pic and link to CL ad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this daybed?? pic and link to CL ad Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted

Posts: 9439 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Classic style.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OR do I wait for the Ikea Hemnes daybed since it has the solid back. It might make it more comfortable for sitting...??

Posts: 9439 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
It's really cute. But would need some kind of cushions for it to be comfortable to sit against it. If you put pillows up around it, you know how that goes....on the floor.

Posts: 4590 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by WAIT for the Ikea one? Oh I know what you probably mean. You waiting to see if one pops up on Craigslist?

Did you go to Ikea and check their beds out?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

Posts: 4590 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I just looked at the Ikea website. I like the ones with the storage. I think that would great for your daughter to have that storage. What do you think?

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
It looks like the Hemmes daybed has a lip around the top edge. Do you think it does. That would not be comfortable to sit against.

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
I love this one, more than the IKEA one.

The couple at younghouselove.com have this daybed in their DD's room:

http://www.younghouselove.com/...ittle-clara-cluster/

Posts: 833 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jul 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by azul99:
I love this one, more than the IKEA one.

The couple at younghouselove.com have this daybed in their DD's room:

http://www.younghouselove.com/...ittle-clara-cluster/

Azul, I just looked at that site. The daybed looks so cute all dressed up Smile

posted Hide Post
No Sophie, I didnt make it down to Ikea this weekend like I wanted to.

Azul, I think the younghouselove one is the same as the first picture I posted. Of course their space looks like it's out of a magazine!!

Picture of azul99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Always1StepBehind:
No Sophie, I didnt make it down to Ikea this weekend like I wanted to.

Azul, I think the younghouselove one is the same as the first picture I posted. Of course their space looks like it's out of a magazine!!

Yep, it sure is!

Posts: 833 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jul 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I like both for different reasons. #1 - the look. #2 - the storage.

Isn't this a great look for a tiny apartment?

Posts: 7974 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the inspiration picture Annie.

As usualy...always a day late and a dollar short, JCPenney used to carry the daybed that matched by headboard...I always liked it but didn't think we'd be going back to a twin sized mattress.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Lots of great choice available for DD!! I just thought that was a cozy look, but not for a 12 year old. Maybe something like this?

posted Hide Post
I found this one on Amazon. I like how is shaped like couch, high back, low arms.

posted Hide Post
Having just gotten rid of a daybed with a tall back and side arms, let me say its a PITA to change the bed with those immovable objects in the way, not to say making it up on a daily basis. Mine was in an extra guest room where some of our grandchildren slept, so I had to do it a couple dozen times a year, not daily. If neatness is your thing and you want to have your DD keep up her side on a regular basis, think more closely at what you purchase.

Posts: 3056 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
bump

posted Hide Post
sorry I've got the two threads regarding a daybed...In regards to making a daybed, I'm thinking A. Daybed: have a cover for the mattress so that its more like a cushion and then DD can use a blanket, comforter or large throw when she sleeps or

B. used twin mattress on a frame and have it slipcovered something like this:

posted Hide Post
or this for an example.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Found any more that you like?

Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
I haven't followed your entire adventure here, so maybe this has been addressed...you don't "sit" on a daybed per se, you climb up and crawl into, a daybed because it's taller than a sofa (usually). The ones without sides could work if up against two walls, creating a corner to cozy into, otherwise, I don't think it would be comfortable for "sitting" at all. Lots of pillows and bolsters will be required to create comfort as well as a cute look.

On the one I created (might have a pic on the other puter...I'll have to look), I used a body pillow and three Euro pillows on the back and two king size pillows for side bolsters, along with throw pillows...all covered in coordinating fabrics. I purchased a fitted cover for the mattress and made skirt panels for the bed frame. I did not have a pull out, but just pushed an extra mattress underneath...worked fine for the occasional extra guest.

Like I said, late to the party so just ignore me if I've been redundant! LOL

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
A1SB,Love that 1st bed and even the 2nd one too.I like the design style of 1st but do understand DD needs the extra storage too.

I like reading your threads and the pics too.

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I finally made it down to Ikea this weekend. I am very much a "visual" person and had to see that Ikea daybed (picture #2) in real life before deciding if I want to pursue one on craigslist.

I really liked it. I especially liked the drawers in the trundle, big and roomy.

I was also able to get a good look at their closet systems and get some ideas there too.

I also liked a few of their dressers they had that I have seen on Craigslist. I was pleasantly surprised that they were bigger than what they look online and that they had nice big drawers.

Me and DD were discussing her side of the room set up...she said she had an idea and I said I had an idea too...so she said for me to draw my idea and then she'd do hers.

Our ideas where pretty much the same, except which wall her bed would be on. We both suggested a desk and a comfy chair, she was thinking a bean bag chair and I was thinking a comfy arm chair.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Sound like a great idea!

posted Hide Post
Glad you liked the IKEA daybed. My dd loves hers. She and her friends sit on it all the time when they are up in her room - her room is small so they don't have much choice. She has pillows around the back and sides, just standard pillows, with a couple of decorative toss pillows thrown in front.

We have never actually used the trundle bed but the storage drawers are awesome! Again, her room is small so having that extra storage space is great for her room.

I'm not the biggest fan of IKEA furniture, but I think this bed is very well designed and well made. It is very heavy and sturdy. I think I may have mentioned though that dh broke the inserts for the drawers (the piece that slips in to form the bottom of the drawer). They were flimsy particle board that I think wouldn't hold up well if storing a lot in the drawers. Dh has a friend who works with plastics though so he made us inserts out of recycled plastic so they are incredibly sturdy. If you do get this bed, just be careful not to put heavy things in the drawers or the bottoms will warp/sag eventually.

I looked around forever for a bed for dd and kept going back to the IKEA bed. I just couldn't find anything else that was so thoughtfully designed The fact that the drawers are separate from the trundle piece so that each can be used simultaneously is great! Just remember that if you get this bed, it is VERY heavy, so if you buy a used one, it will be hard to transport if it's all put together.

And I would definitely get two of those mattresses (we have one stacked on top of the other) - I think it is much more comfortable with two, even though it is fine with just one.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Annapolis, Maryland | Registered: Sep 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post