Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Empty wall solutions, anyone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Empty wall solutions, anyone? Sign In/Join 
posted
I recently moved into a new apartment and, due to the awkward setup of my bedroom, my old television is nestled on a low upcycled coffee table against a blank wall.

I cannot mount the television or do anything else that would require holes or damage to the walls. I also want to avoid replacing the table because I can't move anything larger as a student.

So, my problem is figuring out a way to dress up the wall without detracting from the tv or making the room too "cluttered". I wanted to use some large art as a headboard on the opposite wall but not if it overwhelms the room. I also have two bookshelves on opposite sides of the room, but they're different sizes and look awkward when used to frame to tv.

I'm looking for an incredibly cheap or DIY solution to this problem that won't detract or clutter my decor. I can post pictures of the room if it will inspire (but keep in mind my colorblock bedspread and wall art have yet to arrive so it'll seem like a blank canvas at this point).

I know this sounds limited (which is why I'm having so much trouble with it) but I could use a point in the right direction! Suggestions?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Welcome. Do post pics of different angles of the room. They would help greatly with suggestions.

Do use 3M hooks to hang wall art. They won't damage the walls.To lessen the chance of cluttered walls, opt for posters or even enlarged photography to hang.

Awaiting pics...

Posts: 18685 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
Tessa how much time do you spend in the br? do you share common areas with roommates?

i'd do what froo froo suggested using the easy remove hooks, but use your purses, jewelry, scarves, as your art pieces...

Posts: 8531 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Have a look at google images of gallery walls showing the TV as part of it: https://encrypted.google.com/s...kSUvvNK4aOigLIjYGoBQ

Sjf's idea of using your purses, jewelry, scarves, as your art pieces (or part of the art) is an excellent one.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12734 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
i'm just thinking how little time my kids actually spent in the college apts...my one dd came home about every weekend to work, as did my ds...the other dd was either at school or work...my last kid was too far away and was stuck with dorm for 4 years!

Tessa I know how much you want a homey feel esp if you're far away from family...but save the ** or start a computer log of things you see and like when that real apt comes along...

Posts: 8531 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjf:
i'm just thinking how little time my kids actually spent in the college apts...my one dd came home about every weekend to work, as did my ds...the other dd was either at school or work...my last kid was too far away and was stuck with dorm for 4 years!

Tessa I know how much you want a homey feel esp if you're far away from family...but save the ** or start a computer log of things you see and like when that real apt comes along...

Excellent advice.

Posts: 5292 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could the TV be placed on top of the larger bookcase? I mean move the bookcase to the wall where you have the TV now. Or maybe on the smaller bookcase. Also would it be possible to get a chest of drawers for storage and the TV?

Good luck and have fun making your space "yours".

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6281 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same question recently when I moved into a new apartment. I attempted to make one of those DIY melted crayon art pieces but that did not turn out as well as I expected. So I decided to leave the hard work to someone else and buy some different types of wall art that shutterfly sells. So much easier that way lol. Hope this helps!

http://www.shutterfly.com/photo-gifts/wall-art

Posts: 21 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: Aug 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post