Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  ? Windows in shower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? Windows in shower Sign In/Join 
Picture of Nana J
posted
I recently asked for some opinions on our master bath that we are completely redoing. We went to see the cabinet man this week and his designer recommended something that I had not considered, which would mean that both of our corner windows would be in the shower. Haven't talked to the contractor yet but I envision several problems with this. I have looked at several websites which show pictures of showers with windows, most of which look very nice. However, I would love to hear from anyone who actually has lived with this.

Posts: 796 | Location: KY | Registered: Jun 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
How high up would the windows be? I've always had reservations about the appropriateness of windows in shower areas due to the potential maintenance nightmares involved.

A friend had one (the aluminum ones from the 90s) in his new (1990s) condo. It didn't hold up and by 1994, it needed replaced due to moisture between the glass)

We have a wooden window in our bath over the tub/shower since that was common in 1940. It needs a rehab, but I hung a curtain rod on it like you would a regular window and hung a clear shower curtain over it (cut off to cover just below and to the sides of the wood casings) It's functions fine, but not something I would choose as an intended design feature. Smile When/if we ever get to redo our bath, there will be NO window in the shower. They might be nice, but they just don't make sense to me.

On the other hand, if it is above the water source (I've seen some that were more like transoms) and are quite unlikely to get wet, I probably wouldn't object to that as long as the ventilation in the room was good enough so as not to cause steam between the glass (as I imagine you'll probably be going with the modern, energy efficient type)

Personally, I'd avoid it if I could. If it was just a tub without shower capabilities, that would be different.

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
It's doable if done correctly. The following link addresses the how-to. For privacy, there are frosted or etched glasses to create privacy while allowing light to filter thru. Personally, I opted for a water proof can light for illumination in my new shower. A skylight and window adjacent to the glass wall will afford natural light in my bathroom.

http://www.finehomebuilding.co...-a-tiled-shower.aspx

Posts: 18780 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Our neighbors recently did a remodel of their main bath. They replaced their tub/shower combo with an oversize shower. Their window then ended up in the shower. So, they had the window opening filled with glass blocks.

It allows a lot of light to enter but yet affords privacy. As much as I dislike the look of glass blocks , it is very attractive.

Posts: 3273 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
I posted a picture a couple of weeks ago. There are two windows and a skylight in the room and I really don't want to lose those. I'm almost ready to just cancel the entire project because of the corner with these windows. We've been in this house for 8 years and I've struggled with this since we moved in. I had hoped that the cabinet people would have a solution but no luck there so far.

Posts: 796 | Location: KY | Registered: Jun 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would constantly feel on display with windows in my shower, even if they were frosted or obscured. Best of luck. Frown

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
We have always had a frosted window....but white vinyl sliding sideways...which is fine with the boys but I always have to be wary of opening wide and which side is open... Roll Eyes SO on my redo I am going to have that rippe out and a frosted window that opens top to bottom so you can lower the top...see out and have a solid ledge to clean when bottom is open....with side to side it's got too many nooks and crannies to get to...ugh.
I am looking at the Anderson windows....I saw one a few years back and it had cleaner lines for upkeep in bathroom imho. Since it is on back of house and I will have it white like other windows that are hung same it's good. I like light, but opening to get aired out is a MUST!!! I like the thought of being able to see out and control the level of peekage.... Cool

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7441 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Oh and my window bottom is at my shoulder level...so opening at top would be more in line with my eyes and top of head....would not want one lower even frosted...I agree there!

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7441 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Personally I have not had any experience with a window in the shower, but my DD's neighbor has such a set up (these neighbors share a driveway with DD and shower overlooks driveway)

My DSIL has reported that it is weird being waved at by someone you know is it the shower!

Just another perspective on such a situation.

Posts: 13087 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
My neighbor on both sides and rear is a cornfield, so privacy is not really an issue but still am not really excited about showering in front of a window.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Glass blocks, frosted glass, window films, ribbed glass are some solutions to address the privacy issue.

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...n+a+shower&FORM=IGRE

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18780 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post