Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  open Kitchen, Dining room & Living room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

open Kitchen, Dining room & Living room Sign In/Join 
posted
We just bought a new house with a open concept for the kitchen, the dining room and the living room. We currently have a couch and love seat, but wonder if we should buy a sectional for the living room space. And we're not sure where to place a flat screen TV in the living room. Please provide some suggestions on recommended furniture and TV placement. Also, we think that there needs to be some kind of division between the living room and the kitchen/dining room.

house-1

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
additional picture

posted Hide Post
additional picture#3

posted Hide Post
The very first thing you need to do is decide where the focal wall is going to be. I don't see a fireplace so I assume the main seating area will be around a television set. Get yourself some 1/4" graph paper and lay out the room to scale, marking doorways and windows. This might sound tedious but it is worth taking the time to do it correctly. Long before you buy furniture, you need to decide what goes where. I don't particularly care for sectionals or a sofa and love seat combination. Two sofas are much more versatile in my opinion.

Is that wall to wall carpet or an area rug? I am not sure where you would like to divide the room but if you float one of the sofas with the back toward your dining set, it will create a natural division.

Posts: 490 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe in going with the architectural style when ever possible. A sectional would create a cleaner more tailored look and could be a defining element in delineating the "lounge" space. A low bookcase or console no higher than the upholstered frame is a great way to layer, and gives you some surface to put things on, rather than end tables.

Regarding the TV, it depends on how it is housed. If it is in a cabinet it can go on either wall. If it is wall mounted, it would be preferable to put it on a wall in front of your line of sight instead of on a side wall. This way you won't be seeing behind the TV where the mounting bracket or the wires would be.

My only critical comment would be that there seems to be quite a few hanging light fixtures in the kitchn and they seem to be hung very high.I like work area pendants hung 36 -42 inches above the surface they are illuminating and eating area fixtures at the standard 30 inches above the surface they are lighting.

Posts: 1738 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the layout.

Layout