Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning Finds! for 8-19-13!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Finds! for 8-19-13! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted
Filling in for Skyler and Beau's Rose (who usually covers for Skyler, but could not do so this time due to scheduling).

Due to my admiration for what Skyler does with this Monday Morning Finds thread, I offered to fill in until she gets back from vacation. This MMF's thread does so much more for our community here than just show our 'finds', it also lets us gather for such a positive activity. We share our treasures and also share in the excitement of what other friends have found.

If you didn't find anything this week, that is OK, post something you found some time back and think it was such a great find, that you want to share how you used it!

Please share pictures or just tell us about any great treasures you've found. We always love to hear prices too.

If you are checking in Skyler... WE MISS YOU, hope you are relaxing and having FUN!

Let's start sharing...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9726 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth thank you so much for doing this! This thread is so popular and a real asset to our forum community!

My finds last week were fabric. A friend asked me if I would like a wool blanket that had been a wedding present to her (they winter in Florida) I said "sure" thinking I could cut it up. Well the bag contained two blankets! North star and they are beautiful! I washed them on gentle in woolite, tumbled them on perm press for 10 minutes then hung on line. I then pressed them esp the binding. Will get good use as I love all wool blankets!

Sat. on our trip to swap shop, I saw a huge box of fabric things on the floor, sifted through it and found several nice items. The best one was this pillow case. It is hand made and of linen.

The button holes are of course hand done as are the French seams. I put the items in the kitchen sink in hot water and a pretty liberal dose of bleach. Soaked for a while then yanked out and washed in the washing machine. I got a napkin, a baby pillowcase, a hand towel with tatted trim and a cloth with an A (DD's initial) that last fell apart but you can cut an embroidered letter out and reuse.

Posts: 12657 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a detail of the case. I love the buttons!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
not a find exactly, but did find space for some heavier linens...we have an old entertainment center, that ages ago I flipped over to put the grands toy box where the old tv went...this time, found space for blankets, and comforters...I don't mind them being "out" as we have company often...

Posts: 8538 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
Beautiful linens LOS. No finds for me. We are downsizing to hopefully put this big house on the market ....So, things are flying out of here. Nothing coming in, except some new furniture when I am finished decluttering and sending things to new homes.....kids, selling online, taking to thrift, GW and Abuse Center donations. Going going GONE.
I do love this thread though and will keep following. Thanks MR for filling in for BR and Skyler.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
los,
I agree, such a POSITIVE asset to our forum community! That's a 'Huge Thank you to Skyler'!!!

Two WOOL blankets!!! What a nice discovery! Nice to find LINEN in the box at the swap shop too! I remember my aunts and grandmother making botton holes and French seams by hand! A napkin, baby pillowcase, and hand towel.. LOVE tatted trim!!!

WOW your photos are GREAT!!! LOVE the buttons!

I read somewhere that for cleaning linens, you can try Dishwasher detergent (Cascade) to soak. Do a Google search on how to clean old linens, bleach is so harsh (can burn threads), it might help you to save some of the beatiful things you find!

sjf,
SPACE... SCORE!!! YOU found space.. that is a huge find! Smile

CaraRose,
Hi sweetie, good luck with putting your house on the market! I do love filling in, as this is my favorite thread on this board!

Posts: 9726 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
YIPPEE I have a FIND this week! This morning DH and I went out to check a find on CL. He had the day off, so he offered to come with me. The photo shows the CL listing photo.

Some of you may know I LOVE Empire style 'anything'! I was not really looking for new lamps, BUT when I saw these, I just kept checking them out... they were listed for 3 weeks, and I couldn't believe they were still listed yesterday! I called the number on the CL listing and they were still available!

I paid $20 for TWO! The body (urn part) is made of metal, the base (marble looking block it sits on) made of a material (resin of some sort) with faux marbling. They are 39" tall, the lampshades are silk! Photo is from the CL listing.

I told the CL seller (after I paid them and loaded them) that I felt I got a great deal... he said 'yes you did, I paid more for them'... I told him 'thank you for a wonderful Craigslist experience'. We smiled.... LOVE GOOD KARMA when buying something... Even DH likes them!

I am not sure what they will look like when I am done with them, DH is an electrician, so he will check the wiring, and then I was considering a Navy blue paint on the urn part and burlap look for the shades. I have a King sized sleigh bed and any lamp I had put on the night stands looked so small.. these lamps are a GREAT scale! Will show photos in place later...

lamps CL

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I love the linens LOS. Very pretty Smile

Mary Ruth those are really nice lamps, so cute Smile

Posts: 4717 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read somewhere that for cleaning linens, you can try Dishwasher detergent (Cascade) to soak. Do a Google search on how to clean old linens, bleach is so harsh (can burn threads), it might help you to save some of the beatiful things you find!

Oh, Mary Ruth, remember I used to deal in old linens? Know pretty much about them! Used to boil them on the stove etc. Linens were very popular when I had my shop and the woman next to me dealt in them also. Wish I had a nickel for every item that has passed through my hands!

Mary Ruth, I love your lamps. You probably know that the least expensive lamp shade is more than you paid for the two lamps. I love that detail on the shades that us so unusual! You really scored!

Cara Rose, it feels good to just unload some things, doesn't it. We hesitated for just a few minutes about the round table the sea chest replaced. Would DD like it? Etc. I said to DH let's just take it to the swap shop. It did not even make it inside before it was taken. Feels good!

I forgot to say those woolen blankets are 60 years old!

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Very nice linens LOS.

Mary Ruth, I really like your lamps and can't wait to see what you do with them. It's so fun to see finds and then what others do if they decide to rework it. Before and afters are some of my favorite threads. Thanks for hosting again this week.

Posts: 9011 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, such a good finds by Mary Ruth and LOS. Those shades are exquisite and would cost a fortune if you went to a lighting center to purchase. Emily, I have soaked old linens using Cascade dishwasher detergent and warm water to remove stains. Usually after several hours and changing the water, they've come out perfectly. Not buying much these days except medicines for DH's health problems. I too love this thread and look forward to it weekly.

Posts: 3129 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MR and LOS glad to see your found some treasures.
Pickins were very lean this past weekend (not that I need anything!)
That's ok because part of the fun on the weekend is the hunt, the fun part of Monday is this thread!

Thanks so much!

Posts: 1957 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
los,
I didn't realize your experience with linens, sorry. I should have known you knew how to clean them! I think it is a great treat to come across older linens. My relative's wool blankets including have lasted them since I was living there as a child.

I wanted to go check out the lamps on CL just for the shades alone! I LOVE them, they are square, I thought they might be rectangular, AND the silk on them is clean and in great condition. I knew I scored on the shades alone!

paintlady,
The lamps are LARGE, and I am thinking they might be used in the Master bedroom or the living room. I can picture them (the body of the urn currently painted green with white spots) in a Marine Navy Blue perhaps? I will first find a way to use them with that green color, the finish is in great condition. And the lamps have new harps and top area where you put the bulb in. The cord will be replaced by DH as he checks the whole wiring system.

And you're welcome about hosting this thread, Skyler is such a dear to do this for ALL of us each Monday without fail and with such positive and up-building results. I feel honored she let me fill in when Beau's Rose (who gladly covers for Skyler when she goes on vacation and does a GREAT job) couldn't do it this time. I was glad to pitch in and help these two wonderful ladies!

mamaspoon,
As for the lamps, I fell in love with the shades first!!!

Isn't it a shame about medical costs of even just medication!!!! Never mind the Co-Pays! Add the dentist.. and I think sometimes... gee what those thousands would have bought for my house!!! LOL I try not to dwell on it because it is not going to improve anytime soon... Frown

jaysmom,
Well one good thing about not finding anything... you said you 'did NOT need anything!!! That is a good thing! I bought these lamps because I had 'lamps' on my wish list for the house, NOW I can cross those off! You are right, quote from you comments "That's OK because part of the fun on the weekend is the hunt, the fun part of Monday is this thread'! Thank you for participating and posting such positive comments!

Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, thank you so much for filling in for Skyler and keeping this going.

Skyler, I hope you are enjoying your vacation in your fabulous Canadian cabin....such a lovely setting!

Emily, your linen finds are beautiful and look like some of the pieces I have that were handmade and handed down from my maternal grandmother. Treasures for sure.

Mary Ruth, what beautiful lamps! You found them for an amazing price, too!

With DD's wedding coming up, I haven't gone on any shopping expeditions this summer, but I do have quite a special find. Time! DH's remarkable recovery has continued and this summer we have reclaimed time to fully enjoy our home, family, friends and all the summer activites that were not possible just a year ago. Many wonderful memories have been made this summer. Priceless!

Maine Lady

Posts: 5740 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Maine Lady,
PRICELESS! So happy for your family, clearly a MIRACLE! What a difference a year makes! Thanks for sharing!

posted Hide Post
quote:
With DD's wedding coming up, I haven't gone on any shopping expeditions this summer, but I do have quite a special find. Time! DH's remarkable recovery has continued and this summer we have reclaimed time to fully enjoy our home, family, friends and all the summer activites that were not possible just a year ago. Many wonderful memories have been made this summer. Priceless!

Mary Ann with the many wonderful bles sings you
have had this summer and the anticipation of the wedding ahead you are truly in a wonderful place; emotionally as well as physically!

May only good things continue to happen in the futures of all of you!

Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
Emily wow, what a great score on those linens.
Scarlett Ohara would be jealous~!

Mary Ruth if I lived closer I'd have to swipe those lamps Smile especially after you turn them navy blue. if they go missing you'll know where to look. lol

aww Mary Ann.. you deserve every moment of happiness this life has to offer. I am so happy for you and your family.

thx to MR for the thread this week.. I think its a fav for many folks even if they dont comment- it gets lots of views.

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9988 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scarlett Ohara would be jealous~!

Oh, Sonny wouldn't it be fun to be her for a day? Of course without the war, or reconstruction LOL

Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
LosSmile funny you say that. when I first came to NC my nanna had a box full of old theater clothes a friend left with her and never came back to get, so she'd let me dress up in Scarlett style clothes, shoes, hats and carry beaded purses. I loved for friday afternoon to arrive so I could be scarlett till sunday afternoon when my parents came for me. awww the memories.

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9988 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Great linens LOS -- I am always looking for vintage linens and I USE them!!!! And if they wear out, they wear out!

MR -- great lamps -- you did score!

Thanks, too, for being the fill in for the fill in, MR -- this is one of my favorite threads!

Martha

Posts: 5938 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Sonny Dayz,
LOL I am glad you like my lamps!
I LOVE your story of your nanna having a full box of old theater clothes and you could dress up, that is wonderful! My sister and I had a friend who's mom let us raid the attic with old clothes, purses, shoes and hats! LOVED to go through them and we all dressed up! The afternoons just flew by while we played.. loved those times!

Linderhof, Thanks!

And thanks to ALL who have posted their 'finds' and treasures! We are still into the week, so if anyone else has a find to share... there is still time! Smile

posted Hide Post
I hit a couple of Goodwills over the weekend, looking for items for a craft project I have in mind, and while I didn't find what I was looking for, I did score a few little goodies Wink

Wooden stand (probably held a cloche which got broken) which I plan to paint and use for a pumpkin stand for fall decor, $4.99; "Sparkly" gourd, which I put on my coffee table, $2.99; avocado and red Christmas dish that just caught my eye, since I plan to try to incorporate those colors this year, $2.99; English (my preferred) blueware saucer to add to my collection, $1.99; and glass dessert plate from France, which I glued to a champagne flute to make a dessert stand; $1.99.

Posts: 4081 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice finds. A pile of little pumpkins on that Christmas plate and instant Fall. Leaves, after all, are leaves!

Posts: 1957 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
haha - I love that, jaysmom! Double duty Wink

Posts: 4081 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn -- great finds!

Martha

Posts: 5938 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nitalyn,
I think you DID score with goodies! Nice assortment! How cute to make the dessert stand! And blue and white dishes are always nice! Looks like a nice haul with great prices! Thanks for sharing! I love leaf shaped dishes, they do fit in anywhere!

I am Having computer issues tonight, so IF you do not see me posting that is why! I updated Firefox and the troubles began! So, gotta spend time figuring it all out, tomorrow... to tired tonight to do anything about it. Frown

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Mary ruth,

Thanks again for the thread. Although it's already Friday, it's a favorite one to share with my cup of coffee. Those lamps are beautiful and you should have a great time with the re-do.

LOS, Those are such treasures that you have this week. I love the old linen pieces too with the time worn softness. My granny made tatting and I have quite a few pieces with trim on them too.

Nitalynn, Such cute pieces to get you started with the fall and Christmas decorating. It's right around the corner.

Sonny, I would love to be Scarlett for a day and you were Scarlett for the whole weekend! If only we found our "scoundrel" too. Wink

Mary Ruth, Sometimes these upgrades are bru*al to the systems. I hope your computer is all set now.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9442 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Beau's Rose,
Each day I look up something and then go fix it on my computer... I am so OVER computer issues!!! Time eaters is what they are! In case I have other issues, all was backed up so I am not worried about losing files or photos... at least that keeps me calm. And I am having some issues with the spam, but will soon have that fixed.. using the Private viewing feature, otherwise I am wide open for spam at every click!