Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning Finds 10/7/13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Finds 10/7/13 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
Good Monday morning to everyone! I hope everyone is ready to share their recent an/or favorite finds. If you're able to post a picture, great, if not, just tell us about it. We always love to hear prices too.

So, let's see those goodies...

Posts: 10511 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I have a find but it may not be a "keep" Saw these dishes in an auction mailing. They are from 1948, made by Wedgwood and are the campus as it appeared in 1822.

DGD goes to Bowdoin which is the best school in Maine (in the top 10 nationally that is for colleges, not universities.)

Anyway she would like these and DD and I agreed to spend $150. Called auctioneer to leave an absentee bid and asked what he thinks they will go for. Of course he could not say definitively but thought closer to $300, if DD agrees we can up the bid (he said there are more dishes than appear in pic)

Time will tell as auction is next week

Posts: 12943 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this is marking on back.

Where is everyone today? Cats and dogs weather here!

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Beautiful collection of china, LOS. I hope you get them. It would be a very special collection for your DGD. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Smile

I'm not sure where everyone is today!

Posts: 10511 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
I'm so excited! I happened across something we've been looking for for the last 2 years to go on our side porch. Picked up the set for $100-setteee, 2 chairs, & table. The fun part was that my boss loaded it up in the company truck which they let me borrow overnight so that I could get it all set up so that Donnie had a surprise when he got home. I made it with about 15 minutes to spare. Smile He was tickled pink-especially when I told him the cost (since it retails at $699) The really great thing is that they're probably the most comfortable seats in the house!

The cats enjoy them too. Big Grin

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Wow Bella, what a beautiful set (and porch). I LOVE the cushions with the darker colored ticking and they look incredibly comfy. The price is unreal!

What a fun surprise for Donnie. You guys will enjoy many nice evenings sipping sweet tea out there.

P.S. Is that a cat tail I see in the bottom right corner, lol Smile

Picture of SMJ
posted Hide Post
I see three cats in that photo!!
Lovely porch and seating, Bella!!

Posts: 441 | Location: Canada | Registered: Oct 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Too funny SMJ. I thought the one on the chair was a cat pillow!

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Yep. That would be the tail of baby Traddles, the youngest of the crew. Mandu is on the chair in the background. There were about 4 others out there with me too. They're so nosy, ya know! Can't miss a thing. Smile

I lucked out on that deal. This was a set that we had in the store that had sold a month or so earlier. The people put it in full sun and the cushions were fading so they returned it. It wasn't something we could resell and every so often the owners will have a garage sale to get rid of stuff that's not really retail salable, but too good to just throw away. When they got it down for the sale, they remembered that I had mentioned that it would be perfect on our side porch, so they asked if I'd be interested in it. Uh, YEAH!

When Donnie saw the truck, he thought I'd had car trouble. Once I assured him I hadn't, I sent him on a treasure hunt. While he was tickled when he discovered it, I think he probably had a mini heart attack trying to figure out how where such a purchase fit into our priority list. When I told him how much it was, I thought he was going to giggle like a girl, he was so tickled.

It's the small pleasures, that make life fun. Smile

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
los,
How wonderful to find those dishes! Bowdoin theme is great for your DGD!!! I Thin she will be so surprised! Fingers crossed for you!

Bella,
Your boss letting you use the truck to get it home (don't want to picture HOW you got the sofa piece (by yourself) on the porch! What a GREAT PRICE! with free delivery, can't beat that!

DH and I like to surprise each other with house-stuff too!

As for me: no photo this time, we have a sliding screen for our sliders to the back yard. We didn't have one on our doors, and we plan on replacing them so we stalled on getting the screen door to fit this one. DH found one at Lowe's marked down to $20! It had been purchased, not installed and returned as good as new. So, we will have a screen in the door to make the air flow through even more than the windows open! Soon the A/C will be off and windows open often! AS Bella said 'simple pleasures' and as I say to DH, best gifts ever! Smile

Posts: 9807 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Actually, it was my boss that suggested that I take the truck for the night. She wanted me to be able to surprise Donnie. The next thing I knew, her husband had it all loaded up and ready to go while I was helping customers. I work for some really wonderful people.

It's not very heavy, so unloading it wasn't a problem...and I had half a dozen cats to help! Big Grin

Christie

posted Hide Post
Emily - that china is WONDERFUL! I hope you get it!

Bella - wowsa! You did great, and what a sweet story Wink

M.R. - great deal!

I don't have any finds this week...I've been concentrating on getting my fall decor finished, and also my fall wardrobe Smile

Posts: 4138 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Bella, the little rascals are very nosey. And don't ya just love how they MUSt lay on anything new....like you bought it just for them!

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Mary ruth, wonderful deal on the screen. Enjoy that wonderful Fall fresh air.

Nitalyn, working on the Fall wardrobe is always fun!

posted Hide Post
This is one of my treasures from last weekend. I think I have another piece that is the same or very similar pattern. I wish I had measured the pieces when I had them out.

Lady of Shallot, beautiful set of dishes. Hope you get the winning bid. Will mean an awful to dgd.

Bella, just love the porch furniture. Get buy too! What a nice surprise for your dh to be all set up.

Mary Ruth, good buy on a door screen. You will love it for the times you don't need A/C.

Thank you Skyler for keeping up our favorite thread.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6343 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
You're welcome Strings, my pleasure. Thank YOU and everyone for sharing your treasures. The pattern on your find is really beautiful. Nice that you have another piece with a similar pattern. Sounds like a collection is beginning!

Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
MMF, still my favorite thread!

Emily, I hope you get the dishes! I think they would be perfect for your DGD!

Bella, that set is beautiful! I am sure you will enjoy many wonderful times on your porch.

MR, don't you love a great find/ bargain?! Yay for you!

Strings, your bowl is beautiful!

My priceless treasure was watching DH walk DD down a huge staircase, a steep hill and through a garden aisle to join hands in marriage with an amazing man. It is difficult to find words that fully express the multiple layers of joy for our family.

Up next: DS's wedding! Happy, happy, joy, joy!
Life is amazingly good.

Maine Lady

Posts: 5751 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maine Lady, that is truly a priceless treasure! So glad he was able to do that!

Strings

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone!

It looks like another great week of finds for you!

LOS, Good luck on the auction. I hope you win them for your GD.

Bella, If only your cats could talk. What tales they would tell. Love your surprise story!

Mary Ruth, Nice that you will have a screen to enjoy the fall weather.

Strings, That's another beautiful piece to add to your collection. Enjoy using them all!

Maine Lady, Congratulations on all your celebrations.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9491 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by *~Bella~*:

The cats enjoy them too. Big Grin

This is such a pretty set, how did you ever find it for $100.00?

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Maine Lady, what a beautiful story. I can almost see your smile from here. Sounds like a very busy time around your house....enjoy!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thank you Skyler for this GREAT thread! Love coming here to see everyone's treasures!

Bella,
What a GREAT story about who you work for! I think you work for some wonderful people too! Smile So glad the cats could help!

Emily,
Any news on the auction yet? Fingers crossed for you!

Nitalynn,
I also have very large windows in my house, and the breeze is great, this will really add to my ease of getting something open!

Strings,
I love the texture on that shallow bowl! NICE!

Maine Lady,
OH MY weddings are amazing and even moreso with so many layers of life to be thankful for including your DH able to walk that distance and terrain for his daughter, and to be participating in the wedding! And now DS getting married too! What an outpouring of grace and blessings, so so very happy for you and your family!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9807 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary Ann, I have been thinking a lot about your exciting time this month. Wasn't sure of the date, but it sounds like all went very well and of course you are overjoyed! Will they live nearby?

Bella, you got one of the best deals ever on that furniture! Fits on the porch perfectly and looks like it should always have been there!

Mary Ruth, you paid less for that door than I have seen at yard sales. Good bargains this week!

The auction is next monday so won't know till then and of course DD has not let me know if she wants to up the ante!

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the compliments. I did easily find the other piece I have. It is a medium size plate. Did notice a few chips in the edge in several places. Nothing real noticeable and will not be using it to eat from. Should I post a photo of the plate? If yes, here or a new post?

TIA

Strings

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and post the plate here so we can see it! Glad you located it.

posted Hide Post
Sorry, but couldn't get the flash to turn off.

It probably belonged to one of my grandmother's, but don't know which. Most of the items, I know, but not this one.

You can bet I will be on the look out for more of this design/pattern.

Strings

posted Hide Post
No finds for me this week, working on my house, son will be home next week! Didn't even get a chance to do Halloween yet, oh dear.
Just stopped in for 2 things. Great finds, everyone!
and Strings, I just did a little hunting. Your pattern is
PATTERN NAME: HERITAGE
CATAGORY: 1940s, 50s, 60s
MANUFACTURER: FEDERAL
YEARS MADE: 1940 - 1955
PRIMARY COLORS: Crystal
OTHER COLORS: Blue, Cobalt blue, Green, Pink

and here's where I found it..
http://www.kejabatreasures.com...AGE&patmaker=FEDERAL

I love that pattern-now go have fun finding it!

Posts: 1988 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Strings,
GREAT plate! Thanks for posting it! And jaysmom, how nice you came up with the name for the plate! Smile

Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy this thread. Thanks for starting it each week. I also want to thank those who share. LOS I love to have things with meaning that serve a function so I'd think dishes like those would be wonderful. Bella, brother did you score big. Make sure you two take a few minutes to sit and enjoy. I live in what use to be the art glass capital of the USA. Always love seeing lovely glass pieces.

Posts: 1637 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Jaysmom, thank you so much for finding information for me. I really don't have a lot of pieces that are the same designs, but will keep looking for this design. Since not real old, should be able to pick up a piece everyone once in a while.

Strings

Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
Beautiful finds! I love those dishes. Love the outdoor furniture and what a steal on that. I would love to find a deal like that for outdoor furniture. I need some more for my porches.

I found a few things at the yard sales Saturday. Went on a roller coaster yard sale. I don't have pics but quickly I found 2 old rolling pins, a small round wood dough bowl, 2 small longaberger/boyd baskets, a Boyd porcelain doll in a rocking chair (normally not something I buy but she was gorgeous and the price was very right), 8 cooking light cook books, a good size wall shelf which I'll redo, a small wreath, 2 purple mums and a few more small things. Didn't pay much for anything so it was a good day.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5717 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
LOS, beautiful set of dishes. Good Luck with your bidding.

Bella, your cats look as though they appreciate you buying some new furniture for them. Nice set of furniture, good buy, and looks great on your porch.

Mary Ruth, good price for your screen. It's so nice this time of year when we in the South are able to open our windows and doors and enjoy some fresh air!

Maine Lady, blessings to you and your family. When is your son's wedding?

Strings, you have been finding the best buys lately! Love this pattern.

Lisa Ann, great finds at the yard sales. I'll have to google a Boyd doll. I'm not familiar with her.

As for me, my parents cleaned out a shelter behind their home which had been collecting things for quite some time! I brought home my grandmother's 3 antique cast flat irons and a cast iron kettle, and the newel post to the staircase that my dad said used to be at the bottom of the stairwell. I hope to use it for a plant stand. I'll post pics when I clean them.

Thanks Skyler for a great thread.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Lisa Ann,
I can just imagine the smile on your face as you left that yard sale! What a good stash you went home with! What a great feeling to have found so many great deals!

Georgia Peach,
How nice to get some of your grandmother's things, that will be nice for you to share the photos when you can! Deals are greater when they are 'free' and they have such family value to them! Smile

As for me:
SOON I am going to share photos (in a separate thread) of a Craigslist find that I posted on MMF's last month. I did a 're-do' on the set of lamps I got... almost finished... taking photos as I go along... It has been FUN to work on a project I can handle! Smile

Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the thoughtful comments about my priceless treasure. Wink

We are truly Ble s sed. DD and her husband, DS and his fiancee all live here on the island. DS and his love became engaged at the end of August 2013. They plan to wed August of 2015. They want a venue with an ocean view and those are booked a year or more in advance. DS's fiancee is finishing her last year of school and doing student teaching in the spring, then will be applying for jobs and hopefully preparing for her own classroom. She will be a busy girl and she is a smart one, too. She wants to have fun planning their wedding, so another year should allow for plenty of time to get things done and have fun doing so. Right now the happy couple is looking at venues and plan to secure that soon.

Maine Lady

Posts: 5751 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Great finds everyone.

Bella, you really scored on the furniture set!

ML, congratulations to you and your family on the weddings. That's awesome that your DH has recovered and could participate in the wedding. I'm sure your DD was thrilled. Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Maine Lady,
Oh how FUN! No rush and plenty of time to enjoy the journey! Congrats to your family! And how wonderful to have them CLOSE!

posted Hide Post
I adore this thread even though I don't often have things to share. Everyone has such beautiful treasures this week.

Maine Lady, your story brought tears to my eyes. How wonderful for you and your family, and what progress your husband has made. Thank you for sharing such a sweet story.

Posts: 545 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SusanBradfordKent:
I adore this thread even though I don't often have things to share. Everyone has such beautiful treasures this week.

Maine Lady, your story brought tears to my eyes. How wonderful for you and your family, and what progress your husband has made. Thank you for sharing such a sweet story.

Me too... isn't it the BEST story! I love this thread too!

Thank you Skyler for this wonderful thread each week!!! Smile