Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Long absence, long post, huge basement transformation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long absence, long post, huge basement transformation Sign In/Join 
Picture of lmccrore
posted
It's hard to believe, we started this basement reno 2 days before Thanksgiving last year...YES...we had men in our basement jackhammering out the cement around the perimeter of the basement, adding french drains and gravel and a nice new sump pump before hosting our whole family for Thanksgiving. Finally, we've beat the water seepage and could finish out the basement and make it a livable (DH's priority) and attractive (my mission) family room. Here is the before. 1960s tile floor, the drywall had to be cut up a foot from the floor (which we had done anyway after it got wet and we didn't want to even entertain the notion of mold. The white trim on the sawhorses was getting painted for my amazing new walls.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lmccrore,

Posts: 1966 | Location: Somewhere In the Middle | Registered: Nov 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
Here was the barebones after they put in the concrete around the french drains.

Posts: 1966 | Location: Somewhere In the Middle | Registered: Nov 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
Then we put down a heavy heavy vinyl woodlook flooring. We put it in the family room, continued it in the hall, into the guest room/office and the bathroom. It really looks real...and the vinyl is warmer and forgiving under foot. It went down right over the old tile...

Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
Next, we reinsulated the bottom portion where you can see the cement foundation, added drywall and had the electrical boxes updated. Then it was time for prettiness! We put luan over top of the drywall. We already had a lip around the perimeter of the basement so it was perfect for a little board and batten treatment.

Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
Board and batten was really fast and easy. Painted the luan before we placed the battens and with the prepainted battens, it was just one easy coat to finish up. We just used a ripped piece of MDF to use for the floor trim.

Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
And finally this weekend, we finished painting the upper SW Dorian Gray, and touched up the white.

Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
The rugs came from Home Depot. The spots courtesy of our dog. Need to get out the spotbot!

Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
The clock was an anniversary gift from DH. I quite like it! Had to fallify it for Halloween while I was at it!

Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
This area is not even close to done. Got these awesome Bergere chairs from Habitat for Humanity. They came from the Marriott Hotel here in town when they refurbished it. Now I either need to really try hard to learn how to reupholster these things...or find $1000 bucks growing on a tree outside. Ugly as they are...bless their hearts they are COMFY! I really love my rug!

Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
In the TV area...DH found a big 50 gallon aquarium on Craigslist that in turn led me to buy a $40 buffet from Craigslist to sit it on. Sturdy, with lots of storage below for fish stuff. DH painted it out black and it works great!

Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
Changed the accent color on the TV wall. It had been red in a previous life...and we went with a nice deep turquoisey blue. Still working out ways to hide all the wires and games...but as everything in my life is...it's a work in progress!

Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
Do you remember seeing my weird bump out? The room behind it has a wall of built in drawers...and this is those drawers from the backside! Our before just had the top of a metal hutch stuck up there with our dinky 10 gallon aquarium...

Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
Then we did the board and batten treatment to it...

Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
And then the beautiful shelves DH made for me out of MDF, beadboard and mouldings!

Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
And in it's glory!

posted Hide Post
Looks great! Nice job!

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6281 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
Shot showing my fave Hobby Lobby steal...$12 bucks for this giant red sign!

Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
Still much to do. Lighting needs addressed (although DH did do some new track lighting over the sofa and on the TV wall). He even added dimmers so it's not like looking into the sun! Working on merchandising shelves (sorry the pic was dark...should've done it earlier in the day!) Need to get some new art/pics up...but it's livable at last! When you're doing everything yourself...it takes me forever...but it sure feels amazing when you're at the finish line. It feels like we've added a wing on the house with all the space we gained. Glad I had a chance to catch up with you all!

posted Hide Post
Fantastic job! Beautiful!

Posts: 4081 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please tell me EVERYTHING about your beautiful wood-like floor. What brand? How you laid it?
Where you got it? Cost? What color?

I'm debating about putting it in my family room and adjoining morning room. I only have a choice between vinyl or carpeting because there is a slope of 2 inches between the family room and the morning room which is in an addition.

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
Thank you Lu...I wish I could give you in great detail the answers you're looking for, but I don't remember how much the flooring was, as it was all rolled into one bill, (the foundation work, the french drains, sump pump, flooring, labor, etc.) Here's a link to the website from the company we used, but I'm sure the flooring is sold thru other sources. I'm just throwing out the link because it's got specifics on the floor that I just don't know! I am in no way drumming up business for anyone!! (Man I feel paranoid just putting the link in here!) http://www.midwestbasementsyst...sement-flooring.html
(I am in NO WAY affiliated with this company, please don't anyone come down on me...just trying to help Lu out!)

I really love it. I'll try to find an extra piece in my garage and give you a close up so you can see the thickness of it. It's rigid, yet pliable if that makes a lick of sense! It has a bounce or give to it, and is never cold, even in the dead of winter. Should it get wet, it will never mold, warp or anything that a laminate floor would do. Hope the link will give you some additional info on how the flooring works.

posted Hide Post
Thank you so much. I'll read thru the material on the website. Didn't realize it was for a basement. My rooms are on the first floor. Have been considering vinyl strip flooring by Konnectco in lieu of carpet.

Posts: 1137 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
You certainly have made good use of your time! Your basement transformation is absolutely beautiful! If you hadn't mentioned that this was a basement, I would never have known that. May you enjoy many happy hours in your new room!

Maine Lady

Posts: 5740 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Wonderful transformation! Both you and your DH got what you wanted.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12736 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Now that's what I call a Cinderella basement.

Mind if I share this post with my sister? She is scratching her head over what to do with her dark and forbidding basement and looking for inspiration.

Posts: 5293 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
It looks fabulous as all of your projects have been!!! Welcome back. I love to see your transformations!

Posts: 3161 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
What a great transformation! I'm sure it was a lot of work, but it really did pay off. The room looks very comfy and it doesn't look like a basement!

I love the floor too. I really wish we had done this instead of carpet. DH thought it would be warmer, but the flooring looks so much nicer.

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grapefruit:
It looks fabulous as all of your projects have been!!! Welcome back. I love to see your transformations!

YEP YEP!!

Posts: 9601 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks wonderful! Are you the poster that did her kitchen with BM Advance waterbourne? I keep thinking about that post and refer to it often although I can't find it anymore. If you are and have those pics/instructions handy, I'd love to see them posted again. Thanks!

Posts: 1957 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
Looks amazing.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5710 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I love how warm AND bright the space is ---just gorgeous!

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lmccrore
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your kind words! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. We are so enjoying the "new" space. Ayechihuahua, please share away. Maybe your sister will find an idea or two that would help. Nice to be a good example, rather than a "cautionary tale" WWanda...when we moved in we put in all new carpet with super heavy plush underlayment. Lemme tell you...I was devastated when it flooded and we had to pull that sodden, stinky and HEAVY carpet and pad out. Money down the drain! Hopefully yours won't meet that fate. Myself, I love the warmth of carpet, but just did not want to go thru it again. Jaysmom49, sorry, it's not me with the BM Advance...I hope you find your original poster!

Picture of Trudi
posted Hide Post
Wow! I'm blown away by this transformation!

Posts: 2042 | Location: N.C. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks fantastic! Good job!

Posts: 467 | Registered: Jun 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of norahs978
posted Hide Post
OHHHHHHHHHH! I have basement envy! It looks fabulous and you must be thrilled to be able to use that beautiful room after so much hard work. Great job!!

Posts: 1406 | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kw2
posted Hide Post
Looks really great!!!

Posts: 4297 | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
You have been busy!

Love how you described doing the B&B project too. It looks like a cozy place now to relax. Great idea to add the shelves to the hutch area.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9441 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
GREAT transformation! Like others said, does NOT look like a basement! And I am sure it does not feel like one when you are enjoying it!!!

Posts: 9726 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post