Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Your Favorite Room
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favorite Room Sign In/Join 
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Annon:
This is not grand, by ANY measure, but it truly speaks to me. If I could, I would crawl into this picture!

A few years ago I had this book out and was looking at it and mentioned how much I loved this photo to my DH. I came home later that day and he had (to the best of his ability, and what he was able to find in the house) sort-of recreated this breakfast area for me!

It's so different than what everyone else posted, that I'm almost embarrassed, but "it's me". Smile

How wonderful that your DH recreated this room for you! No need to be embarrassed, individual choices/tastes are always valid. I also like much about that pic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
My intention in starting this topic was to have all of us jog our memories and sift through the thousands of images we all, as design enthusiasts have stored away in our brains.

When I read this I immediately again remembered the house of a friend of my DM's. Before I went to school my DM used to visit an old lady from our church for tea in the afternoons. Of course she brought me along and I was always in awe of the house. This was in the 40's and the house was old then but very clean and everything was antique/vintage. This house was so different from my family's home which was newly built. I can still clearly see in my mind the LR which we passed on the way to the kitchen for tea. It was dark, being on the north side of the house, without lights on in the afternoon. There was wallpaper, dark wood furniture and upholstery, and white lace curtains. The house had a wonderful scent I was not familiar with, in hindsight possibly lemon oil and lavender sachets as I like both those scents. The kitchen was also a wonderful room, having white cabinets, altho I don't remember anything else about it. I was so impressed with that LR and have always believed that room is the reason I've always loved antique/old/vintage style.

Of course my awareness and knowledge of house and furniture styles has changed over the ensuing 65 years and I like many other styles now but that LR is still a wonderful memory.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12754 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
This is a great thread, thank you Charles for starting it.

BTW, for those who perhaps are not aware, there is an ignore feature on this forum. By left clicking on a poster's name one can choose to add that person to their 'ignore list' and that person's posts will not appear in a thread for you. An easy way to avoid posts one might not want to read.

I haven't used the feature in a very long time.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12754 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
I always loved the musty smell of my grandmas basement in Calgary.

And I'd love to turn one of those threes story fish tank rooms at the aquarium into a room at my house

But the prettiest room I can remember actually being in is the Garden court at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco. Very magical.

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post