Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Your Favorite Room
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favorite Room Sign In/Join 
posted
I responded to Sheetmoss' post on the White House Christmas special that the Red Room was my second favorite room of all time. My first is Richard Jenrette's octagonal library at Edgemere near Barrytown, N.Y. It's one of those spaces I could just move into without touching a thing and feel perfectly at home.

Pardon me if we've done this before (I can't remember!) but what is your all time favorite room? Think carefully, you only get one choice!!

Posts: 1800 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic

Posts: 1800 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Are we talking historic rooms?

Are we talking rooms we have actually been in?

I have to narrow things down a bit!

Posts: 7251 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cocok, when I thought of this thread I was thinking any one room. A movie set, a museum, a friends house, your childhood bedroom, any room that would qualify as your absolute favorite.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I was trying to NARROW it down! Ha ha! So we are WIDE open!

Going to think about this today, and come back. You have got me intrigued!

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
even with the further explanation, there is no one room I could ever limit myself to.

Posts: 12943 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Charles D -- as much as I really admire many rooms (and which some of them were at Linderhof), I'm with LOS -- I'm not sure there is ONE room!

As much as I would like to play, I don't really think I could pick one -- I guess I don't have a passion for a room the way that you do for that lovely room you've posted a picture of!

Martha

Posts: 6225 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I can't play either. I thought you meant my favorite room in my own house, and I can't even pick that.

Posts: 3629 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Right now my favorite room is from Bunny Williams. LOVE this house shown on the cover of her book. OF course this is her Island house. I would LOVE to have this room AND the Island house!!!

Charles,
I also LOVE the room you posted, and it is a GREAT room! I love that style!
Great post!

Bunny Williams book

Posts: 9807 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't play by choosing just one room - I wouldn't know where to start. However, the internet has greatly helped me hone my STYLE, and if I now look at my Pinterest files and my Houzz files, (and files I have saved from real estate ads), I see what I love...and I just get this overwhelming sense of "beautiful" that I hope to be able to incorporate someday.

Posts: 4138 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I love this kind of game! I have been thinking about this all afternoon.

I decided I had to narrow down the playing field as of course I love many kinds of rooms. I decided to eliminate any rooms in my own home, as of course I like my own home. Then I decided to eliminate any room that I haven't actually been in, as I feel that it is essential to experience a space before I can really know if I love it.

Then I thought about all the beautiful rooms I have experienced, and one floated to the top for many reasons. My pick for favorite room is Marie Antionette's bedroom at Versailles.

My reasoning: I have always been intrigued by Marie Antionette, even as a child. Back then I loved to read about her, and there was something about her sense of duty that kept me investigating her life. To me she seemed to be a person who tried to do her best in the midst of both indulgent, and horrible circumstances.

I also love art history, and Elizabeth Vigee-Lebrun is one of my favorite artists, and she did many portraits of Marie Antionette, so there is that connection.

Then there is experiencing the space. A few years ago I went to France alone so that I could do some things I needed to do without the distraction of companions. I went to see the palace at Versailles on a cold grey day, and when I got there it seemed abandoned and closed. I walked up to the entrance anyway, and to my surprise it was open. I was one of a very few visitors that day. On previous visits I had been jostled by the large crowds as I tried to see things, but on this day I wandered around almost alone. I walked down the hall of mirrors, and I could hear my own footsteps breaking the silence! At the end of the hall of mirrors is the bedroom, through a door on the left.

I spent perhaps an hour in that room, all alone. I contemplated Marie Antoinette's life and struggles. Of course I pretended to be her for a while. I looked out her windows and looked across the grounds seeing what she may have seen. I found the secret doorway that she escaped through when the mobs descended. I studied the pattern on the heavy brocade that was absolutely everywhere in the room. I wondered why she would want a portrait of her formidable mother in her bedroom. The window latches were gorgeous I remember, and the rock crystal balls and droplets hanging from the chandeliers were much bigger than I had noticed before.

I could go on and on about the room, but I think it was HOW I experienced it that makes it my favorite.

Fun game Charles!

posted Hide Post
Cocok, your description makes me feel as though I have been there too (even thought I have not.)

Posts: 3341 | Registered: Jul 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And here is a pic of a part of it, cocok, that my daughter took there two years ago...

Posts: 4138 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to keep it simple.
I will choose my family room which is host to our Steinway grand and houses a blond bamboo floor, butterscotch walls and black woodwork.
It has a huge picture window from which hangs a large stained-glass-style bird taking wing.
Beneath that window is a small curved section of various cacti and plants sitting on a small pebble ground.
The furniture is mainly a white sectional, a camel-orange modern leather sofa and an occasional chair in a fabric apropos to the colors of the room.
Simply put, it makes me smile.

Posts: 1718 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Elizabeth Vigee-Lebrun is one of my favorite artists

ITA!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for starting this thread Charles! I am totally enjoying the read!

Nitalyn,
I loved your comments! I too try and find what moves my heart and try and recreate some of the feeling in my home. I have felt 'overwhelming' sense of beauty when viewing certain interiors... and want to 'linger' in that feeling for hours!
Thank you for sharing that photo, really helps me to understand what cocok was viewing!

cocok,
I loved your description! Thanks for taking us through that wonderful experience! How fortunate to have had that time to really 'be IN the moments'. I have done that with a few houses I had the privilege of being in that were fabulous to me. I just soaked in as much as I could, fill myself up with the views!

Sharon,
I also felt I was with her in her experience! How special.

Posts: 9807 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Here is a room that haunts me. It's my fantasy. I don't know who the designer is. It's a modern day Hollywood Regency style, with a bold masculine-feminine vibe. The colors are audacious: the lacquered turquoise and the gold-leaf ceiling rock my world. I could spend the rest of my life in it. Without changing a thing.

Posts: 5332 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Years ago, a poster (Pippee, from Poland, if anyone remembers her) posted this pic to a topic and I have no idea where it is in the world.

When I look at it, it's my perception of how this room would FEEL if you were standing in it that makes me think I would be willing to spend hours in it without complaint.

While I don't find of the items in the room particularly outstanding, the combination of those average items, the colors chosen, and the semi-formal placement of some of the elements make it a comfortable room. It's the way the LIGHTING affects all of the other elements that make it appealing for me. The whole package is what makes it my personal favorite. I think it's fantastic!

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Have been pondering this question and had almost decided there was not one room I had ever seen where I didn't want to change something. Then I remembered this blog: http://fortheloveofahouse.blogspot.ca

I like the entire house altho especially the reading room with the 'new' old table: http://fortheloveofahouse.blog.../11/the-new-kid.html

I think this would be a comfortable house to live in and I might not even have to change a thing. While I don't follow this blog carefully and may have missed many posts, I'd like to see pics taken at night with low lighting. I'm sure it is even more beautiful then.

Have only posted links due to copyright.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
Here is a room that haunts me. It's my fantasy. I don't know who the designer is. It's a modern day Hollywood Regency style, with a bold masculine-feminine vibe. The colors are audacious: the lacquered turquoise and the gold-leaf ceiling rock my world. I could spend the rest of my life in it. Without changing a thing.

Wow Aychi, I love this room. For me this is a great example of something that is not really my taste, but something I admire. Tight, balanced, edited, chic, everything you would want in a room regardless of style. Excellent choice, thanks for playing.

posted Hide Post
Thanks to cocok for her thoughtful responce. Her deeply felt admiration for the space she loves, brings to mind Aychi's wonderful adjective "haunting". There is a 5th century BC Greek marble bust of a young man at the Met who draws me toward him every time I have visited. This sculpture digs deep into my heart and leaves me almost melancholy everytime I see it. My favorite room is quite the same. Each time I run across a pic of it, a little tug of longing just reminds me of who I am. Art is some powerful stuff.

posted Hide Post
My favorite room would probably seem mundane compared to the gorgeous examples already posted.

When I was about 12, I was invited to my friend Jane's house after school. I walked in the front door and fell in love with everything! You see, my mother was smitten with Danish Modern, and the typical oranges and greens of the 60's, none of which has ever appealed to me. Jane's house was traditional, formal and yet so inviting. The entry wall was covered with grass cloth, and adorned with a gold leaf framed mirror that hung above a mahogany credenza. The living room was furnished with 2 pale damask wing chairs, a pale velvet sofa and antique tables, all of which sat on a gorgeous Persian rug. I don't remember a lot of other details, but I do remember that it seemed like the most elegant home I had ever seen. My awe of this home was no doubt enhanced by her mother, who was warm and gracious and always had room for one more child at the dinner table along with her own 5 children. The family sold the house many years ago, but the memory of it stays with me.

My friend Jane married and moved to the East Coast, but we still stay in touch. Just a few weeks ago, I ran into two of her sisters and they told me that their mother had just passed away the night before. I shared with them what an impact she had on me as a child and we all shared a good cry (in the middle of a department store if you can imagine.) Her decorating style has definitely influence my own. I only wish I had pictures to share, but perhaps it is better to remember it the way I do.

Posts: 3341 | Registered: Jul 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sharon's comment about maybe its best for the image her friend's living room remaining in her memory made me think of a recent experience.
In high school I had a friend whose family was not just well off, they had BIG TIME money. Her mother was very social not only here but in Texas, California and Mexico. They had live in help of a married couple plus day workers.

Their house was lovely - a morning room, dining room with a traditional round breakfast table in a bay, drawing room with a $25,000 aubusson rug, library with 2 baby grands, garden room and kitchen. Upstairs only 4 bedrooms but each had a sitting room and bath. All of this was in a top notch neighborhood in the middle of 6 acres.
I don't remember ever being in the kitchen. My own parents had a beautiful home but it was not as large or as expensively furnished.

Recently after the death of my friends mother, I was in the house again after 40 plus years. I was amazed. The house did not seem that large.
Rooms that I remembered well were not that spacious at all. Now I realize that this house itself was not even as nice or large as other friend's houses at the time. I think my opinion had a lot more to do with the glamorous, elegant lifestyle her mother led than actual fact.

I have thought about this several times after being in the house several months ago with regret. I spent many happy days in that house and have so many happy memories. I think my memories of it far superior than today's reality.

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Sharon, this is a remarkable tribute to someone who had such a profound influence on you, that you can still remember how her home was furnished, down to the last detail.

Posts: 5332 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sharon W certainly should get thanks for sharing her charming and lovely memory. This was exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of when I suggested this as a subject. Even if it had been the other way around and she was raised in a traditional home and been so impacted by a Danish modern room, her story perfectly illustrates that room that just stays with you forever. If you are design enthusuasts like us.

posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are design enthusuasts like us.

I don't know if I qualify by Charles rather limited definition above, since there is no single room I can limit myself to.

Does subscribing to design magazines for 50 years, talking about decorating at every opportunity, watching shows on t.v. devoted to it, noticing design in every movie seen, belonging to an on-line forum for almost 10 years count for nothing? There is a room I could describe but how could I say for ever and ever and only that that is my favorite room? How actually can any of you? It would be like picking out one of your children as a favorite!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
quote:

I don't know if I qualify by Charles rather limited definition above, since there is no single room I can limit myself to.

Does subscribing to design magazines for 50 years, talking about decorating at every opportunity, watching shows on t.v. devoted to it, noticing design in every movie seen, belonging to an on-line forum for almost 10 years count for nothing? There is a room I could describe but how could I say for ever and ever and only that that is my favorite room? How actually can any of you? It would be like picking out one of your children as a favorite!

Where's the "LIKE" button? Wink

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
LOS-I don't think Charles was trying to belittle anyone. We're all obviously design enthusiasts or we wouldn't be here.

Truth be told, many/most parents do have a favorite child, it's just not something a parent is willing to admit even to themselves. Of course parents love them all, but there's usually one whose personality just shines in the eyes of the parent. It's usually the child that you are the most proud of or the most sorry for. Of course, realizing it as the parent is a heart crusher since you love the others too and it can never be voiced, but it is often revealed in actions. Most times the children pick up on it by non-verbal cues. It's an ugly part of human nature, but there you have it. Of course it doesn't apply to everyone.

I admit to having a favorite child. Thankfully, he's also my only one! Smile

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOS-I don't think Charles was trying to belittle anyone

There is a difference between trying to belittle someone and trying to create an "exclusive" club.

I too have an only child but I still don't have an only room!

In my basement I have a bulletin board over a work table and on it I have pinned 4 or 5 rooms from magazines. I don't often rip out such pics so these are many years old. Thing is, I still like all of them but for varied reasons (the lighting in one, the color of another, a wall treatment in a third etc)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:

I may have interpreted this wrong, but when I read that line I assumed Charles was talking about US, meaning all of us on the board who come here to chat about design. Aren't we all design enthusiasts? He didn't say professionals.

I think there are people who naturally notice their surroundings more than other people. I would say that most of us here on this board would fall into that category, whether or not it is possible to choose one room as a favorite.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
And thanks Nitalynn, for posting that photo of my favorite room! I am glad your daughter got to be there. I wonder what her impression of the room was!

posted Hide Post
We are all in an exclusive club! The HGTV Message Board Club. Each with a different point of view to make our round table discussions interesting.I learned a good lesson two weeks back that reading posts precludes the reader from the advantage of vocal inflection. It is very understandable that our words are not always recieved with their intended message.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about another favorite room story, since this thread started, and so, what the heck, I'm going to post twice. Once a room in MY HOUSE was another person's favorite room, but not the way you would think - although it has had me thinking.

I have a work room in my house dedicated to my projects. It is a quirky room above our garage, with a peaked ceiling, and two little window seats, and a couple of sky lights to let in good light.

This room has been a source of contention between my husband and me for years and years. My husband is very disturbed by messes, and likes to have the house absolutely perfectly clean and picked up at all times. I think that is a nice goal, although not completely achievable in real life. I do try though. Except for my work room. My work room is a complete disaster at all times. Truth is I kind of like it that way, because it makes me feel creative.

When my youngest daughter was little she had a friend who would come over and play quite a bit. They would often ask if they could play in my work room, and I always said yes. I let them do whatever they wanted, with anything I had.

I have an area for sewing in the room, and a dresser and some boxes filled with fabric. I remember one day they dug through the fabric and found something they loved and I sewed them up matching shirts on the spot, to their delight. I also remember them bent over my machine, turning old jeans into skirts, and pieces of fabric into little purses, and many other creations.

I also have a table holding all kinds of paper, and bits of ephemera, and doo-dads. They made many many cards and pictures and etc at the table.

I have a lot of different kinds of art supplies, and a big old drafting table, small tools, etc. I have always meant to put shelves in the room, but have never gotten to it, so I have piles of books that look like stalagmites rising from the floor along one end of the room near the window seats.

You get the idea. It is pretty much a no rules, everything everywhere kind of space, where you can do anything. My husband became so distressed about the condition of the room at one point that I installed a lock on the door, and I have the only key. (Wow, was that a doozey of a fight!) Now that he is not allowed in, he doesn't worry about the room anymore. Perfect solution.

Anyway, when my daughter's little friend was in high school she had an assignment to write a paper about her favorite place. She wrote the paper on my work room! Apparently to her the room was magical, and happy, and fed her creativity in a way that no other place in her life did. She loved being in that quirky, scattered, jumbled environment, and she loved the freedom she found there to experiment and create!

So what this post has me thinking about this week is why we love the spaces we love. As human beings we create rooms, or Greek busts, or paintings, or lighting, that can connect with other people's souls, sometimes in unexpected ways, and you are right Charles, it is powerful stuff.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

posted Hide Post
O.K. who else needs a hankie after that story? cocok, you rock!

posted Hide Post
My favorite room was more of a certain spot in a room. My grandparents had an old, drafty three story house and each of us took turns spending the night on summer weekends. Grandmother had a guest room especially for us with an old iron bed and a quilt her mother had sewn. However, there was also an attic with a small cot next to the window. A sort of window seat if you will, where we would sit and look at old pictures or play paper dolls. On one visit I asked if I could sleep there instead of in the guest room. She thought I might be afraid of the dark late at night, but I thought there was no cozier, more special place than right in that very spot. Then all of my cousins wanted to sleep on the cot on their visits, so it became the official Grandchild Guest Room. She added some needlepoint pillows and a pretty comforter to the bed and a small bookcase beside it with our favorite books, mine was Little Women. All of us felt like special guests when we stayed there.

I must add, both Cocok and Sharon's stories brought tears to my eyes.

Posts: 545 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
her story perfectly illustrates that room that just stays with you forever. If you are design enthusuasts like us.

This is the complete sentence and no I do not really think that Charles means to exclude any of us, nor actually do I think that any inflection would make a difference but this is what the sentence said, it was referring to the "one room" qualification.

Cocok, your story is terrific! But I am focused on the neat husband. How did you find one of them? Not that I want one except when he finishes a project and leaves the tools where they are. Also I knew what I was getting into when we dated and his single table for eating etc. was always covered in clay and incipient sculptures!

I DO also have a room story but I hesitate to talk about it because it is not really the one and only "favorite" I think why this room made such an impression is because I was not expecting it and because I would have loved to have (still) a room exactly like this.

It was when my DD was in h.s. and wanted to collect vintage clothing. I was with a friend who lived in another town not too far and she said she thought she knew someone who could help us. We went to this house and the house itself did not impress me too much but when we entered and were lead to place where the clothing might be I was dumbstruck. We stood at the entrance to a room that must have been an extension of the house as it had windows down the lengths of both sides. They were Palladian windows and the floor was brick. At the far end (this was a quite large room) most of that wall was given over to a huge fireplace. and on a stand or maybe mantelpiece I saw this sculpture.

The distance was so great that at first I thought it was a figure head, but no it is clay.

The room itself was very messy with many boxes and things around, but Oh, how I would have liked a room like that! I guess the difference is that I wanted that room, while I have seen many other rooms (Jefferson's Monticello, bedroom, the Venetian bedroom in the Metropolitan museum, along with some of the tudor or early American rooms there) even the Shaker rooms at New Gloucester that are truly beautiful, along with many, many beautiful rooms of various styles in magazines.

posted Hide Post
Oh my goodness Emily, you're like a dog with a bone! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Really, does everything in the world revolve around you? You were the poster that made me want to quit these boards two weeks ago and here you go again. Thanks for ruining what used to be a pleasureable pastime during my extremely stressful work day.

posted Hide Post
Well Charles this reaction is exactly the opposite of what I expected. But it does explain why I never received a response to my p.m. to you.

I'm sorry that you have a stressful work day but I do not understand how that is my responsibility, but fear not, your attitude will force me to want to quit these boards, which unfortunately I think will be to the detriment of all as I not only respond to threads but start them and have always been a helpful and active member but then I am not a professional decorator so of course that participation does not nearly matter as much as your "pleasurable pastime"

This was my response to your 11/22 post:

lady of shallot

posted Nov 22, 2013 06:37 PM Hide Post
quote:
I dropped off these boards for a bit because many of the comments hurt my feelings

"Charles, although I do think a designer would not be for me that does not in any way mean that I do not think that interior designer is not a valid and even necessary profession! Actually what I mean is that I can not envision myself having the money or the kind of lifestyle that would make it the necessity that I recognize it is in many, if not most cases!

I apologize sincerely if anything I have said has led you to believe I think that way.

I watch a lot of shows on HGTV and just yesterday I was watching Sabrina Soto and Giada di Laurentis do a kitchen for a couple. Sabrina mentioned about a tile back splash (which she had persuaded the owner to choose) that she, Sabrina, "just loved it" I think the point should be that the owner "love it" (since this was between two very similar choices.)

I also know from friends who have been interior decorators (I say that as these were not licensed people) how really difficult and demanding a profession it can be (late deliveries, broken items etc etc)

Perhaps I am one who has said designers "make you have what they want etc. etc" because of the one very close and good friend who did do that!
She also thought it necessary to insult her clients previous choices. But Charles, this woman also once demanded I try on a pair of shoes, I would never in a million years have purchased, "just for her"

We are all products of our experiences and relationships and that is mine. But I certainly have never intended to hurt the feelings of anyone on this board!"

It evidently was not humble nor contrite enough for you. You really should not let a little 80 year old woman, unintentionally and who is just remaining true to herself, push your buttons.

I am not going to apologize again for being me.
I am arrogant enough myself to think that I TOO am an asset to these forums.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

posted Hide Post
I'm not getting into a game of one upmanship here. I thought I did the right thing by posting that I thought we were all in a club together each adding valid contributions no matter what the opinion. That included you, but you choose to percieve slights so you can play the martyr and focus the attention back onto yourself. That's not my doing nor is it my problem to fix. I have never denegrated anyones opinions here or anywhere, it's not my style. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I can't try to have fun here if I have to tippy toe around your insecurities.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Emily,
Sometimes the way we would SPEAK to someone in person, does not come across in writing at all. I was an offender of this style when I started posting and got my butt chewed out... I would come across authoritative instead of helpful or informative. ONLINE communication takes some adjustments! Rehashing 'old wounds' is not appropriate on this thread.. I am not reading it, not a good thing to do Emily'. I am saying this to you here and not in a PM because YOU brought it out publicly on this thread.

So, relax Emily, enjoy the posts people go out of their way to creatively get us engaged in decorating conversation.
If you do not agree, perhaps it would be best to skip the thread, I do if it is not something I need to comment on. "Confidence is quiet, but insecurities are very loud". There was no need to spend so much energy to defend yourself... no one was attacking... You are good... let it go... relax... You still have friends, you still will post, you WILL enjoy yourself on the board as always... I promise! Smile

Charles:
You put a lot of effort in thinking of a very POSITIVE thread which got some great comments from people. To follow suit, we commented on his topic... and the thread is VERY ENCOURAGING and positive. I learned a LOT from this information! I WANT YOU, CHARLES TO CONTINUE TO POST and to feel at home here. Thank you Charles D, VERY MUCH for posting this wonderful thought provoking thread! I see it as very positive and informative and made me examine also why I love certain rooms and for what reasons...!

My attitude about this board after all these years:
I found what worked for me to adjust to online communication, is to 'assume' everyone is 'trying' to be helpful and give constructive advice and help the posters find solutions and see something differently or find a different approach if they are 'stuck' creatively.

And skip the DRAMA! Smile

_

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

posted Hide Post
Cocok:
Your post was simply divine! I just ate up every single word.
How lovely that, without your even realizing it, you influenced someone's life in a very positive way.
Thanks for posting it.

Posts: 1718 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rehashing 'old wounds' is not appropriate on this thread.. I am not reading it, not a good thing to do Emily'. I am saying this to you here and not in a PM because YOU brought it out publicly on this thread.

Mary Ruth please do read the sequence of posts. I DID NOT rehash anything old. It was Charles who did. So not only do I receive no support, I am accused of something I have not done!

posted Hide Post
quote:
posted Dec 21, 2013 10:26 AM Hide Post
Oh my goodness Emily, you're like a dog with a bone! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Really, does everything in the world revolve around you? You were the poster that made me want to quit these boards two weeks ago and here you go again. Thanks for ruining what used to be a pleasureable pastime during my extremely stressful work day.

posted Hide Post
To whom it may concern: it's not all about you.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those of you who posted pictures and provided descriptions of rooms I'll never be able to see in person. I'm still trying to narrow down a favorite room of mine.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great topic Charles. I have had favorite design projects and favorite clients but to pick a favorite room will take some thought.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Emily so graciously PM'd me, and we are working this out away from this thread.

posted Hide Post
I've seen many beautiful rooms in my life. I've been in homes with beautiful rooms. My favorite room? I would have to say my parent's living room from the early 70's. At the time it was very modern, down to the shag carpeting that I vacuumed and raked every week, lol. It had a beautiful brick fireplace and a huge bay window. The reason I loved that room? The home was on a hillside in San Jose, Ca. It overlooked the entire city. At night the lights were spectacular. I was a teenager at the time. Every night I would sit in that room in the comfy, upholstered rocking chair, painting my nails, writing notes to friends, listening to music on the Magnavox stereo console my dad had/ still has, and just spend hours looking at the view.A room with a great view has always been my favorite type of room. I especially love a night time view of a big city.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: janetaz,

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
This is not grand, by ANY measure, but it truly speaks to me. If I could, I would crawl into this picture!

A few years ago I had this book out and was looking at it and mentioned how much I loved this photo to my DH. I came home later that day and he had (to the best of his ability, and what he was able to find in the house) sort-of recreated this breakfast area for me!

It's so different than what everyone else posted, that I'm almost embarrassed, but "it's me". Smile
----------------------------
Cocok, I loved your story! I also have a sewing room with plenty of stuff to inspire my kids and grands, and they are always welcome there.

Posts: 3629 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Anon, for adding to this thread. The fact that this meant so much to you is precisely why it belongs here. My intention in starting this topic was to have all of us jog our memories and sift through the thousands of images we all, as design enthusiasts have stored away in our brains. Large, small, formal, or rustic,a stage set from a play which never actually housed a family or your Grandma's house that was the center of life as you knew it. Any choice that stood out in your mind was meant to be shared.And if you didn't have a favorite just enjoying what others had to say could be just as gratifying. Happy New Year!