Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  B4 & After Kitchen Redo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B4 & After Kitchen Redo Sign In/Join 
Picture of aychihuahua
posted
For annie, mary ruth and anyone else who's interested, here's a before and several afters of the kitchen we redid back in March. It took about 4-5 weeks for everything, except the pendant light fixtures which were on back order.

I redesigned the whole kitchen and the ugly bar counter. My contractor had some terrific young carpenters who took my sketch and ran with it.

Overall, it was a pretty painless process.

Posts: 5324 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
After #1

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
After #2

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
After #3 Detail

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
After #4 Detail of redesigned counter, looking from breakfast nook.

posted Hide Post
Amazing kitchen remodel! It looks so fresh and up to date. Bravo!!

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, Cavin. Means a lot to me.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
It looks beautiful.

Posts: 12870 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

I see you painted the cabinetry. Was that part a DIY? If not, what did the painting process entail. Like the redesigned peninsula a lot. The face of it reminds me of a classy desk. Smile

Posts: 18713 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Emily. Your comment also means a lot to me.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cavin:

AND:
aychihuahua,
I am typing on notepad as I view so as not to miss anything! I didn't want to time out by typing on the reply box directly...

LOVE the original kitchen, tall celings, light from above, good space for working and getting around... lots of storage! And great that it was open to another living space! All that air around the room! Now to scroll down to see what transpired...

I LOVE the changes with the peninsula! Much more work space!
Beautiful counter tops!
Painted cabinets are awesome in white!
Great new flooring!
LOVE the pendants, soooo worth the wait!
Painted walls?.. love the space at the top, gives such a roomy feel!
Of course new appliances are TDF!
The plain drywall of original peninsula is so much improved with the panel molding of the new one! I also love the indent in the center of the peninsula with the columns on the end, classy!
LOVE your accessories in place! Keeping the glass cabinet doors on the right of the stove is a nice relief from cabinet solid doors.
The backsplash is nice too!
Under cabinet lighting! LOVE that!
I like how you concealed the switch with the vase and floral on the peninsula.
New fridge is so nice (French door)!!!
The view from your sink will make it so pleasurable to do dishes there, I would volunteer! LOVE That glass cabinet!!!
Those pendants really DO go well with your decor!
LOVE the windows up high! (Clerestory)
LOVE your gas cooktop and hood! NICE!
Did you change out the hardware (pulls)? Stainless does go so well with your kitchen!
LOVE the view from the breakfast nook! NICE!
The flooring is such a PLUS, you must love the look and feel of the new floor!

Wonderful transformation, NOW it is truly YOUR kitchen! Smile

Posts: 9792 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
Looks great!

I see you painted the cabinetry. Was that part a DIY? If not, what did the painting process entail. Like the redesigned peninsula a lot.

Thanks, Froo. No DIY for us. We're useless when it comes to that. All the labor was hired out. I set the design direction and sourced all the materials myself, which my contractor was very happy to leave to me. Smile

The cabinets were professionally painted with a acrylic alkyd paint similar to what Charles D used on his fantastic cabinet project, only it was from Pittsburgh Paint's Manor Hall line.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
That is a very beautiful redo! It looks so fresh and bright!

Posts: 3208 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
quote:
Originally posted by Cavin:

AND:
aychihuahua,
I am typing on notepad as I view so as not to miss anything! I didn't want to time out by typing on the reply box directly...

LOVE the original kitchen, tall celings, light from above, good space for working and getting around... lots of storage! And great that it was open to another living space! All that air around the room! Now to scroll down to see what transpired...

I LOVE the changes with the peninsula! Much more work space!
Beautiful counter tops!
Painted cabinets are awesome in white!
Great new flooring!
LOVE the pendants, soooo worth the wait!
Painted walls?.. love the space at the top, gives such a roomy feel!
Of course new appliances are TDF!
The plain drywall of original peninsula is so much improved with the panel molding of the new one! I also love the indent in the center of the peninsula with the columns on the end, classy!
LOVE your accessories in place! Keeping the glass cabinet doors on the right of the stove is a nice relief from cabinet solid doors.
The backsplash is nice too!
Under cabinet lighting! LOVE that!
I like how you concealed the switch with the vase and floral on the peninsula.
New fridge is so nice (French door)!!!
The view from your sink will make it so pleasurable to do dishes there, I would volunteer! LOVE That glass cabinet!!!
Those pendants really DO go well with your decor!
LOVE the windows up high! (Clerestory)
LOVE your gas cooktop and hood! NICE!
Did you change out the hardware (pulls)? Stainless does go so well with your kitchen!
LOVE the view from the breakfast nook! NICE!

Wonderful transformation, NOW it is truly YOUR kitchen! Smile

Bless your heart, Mary Ruth. Yes, we did change out the hideous hardware (don't ask). Bought the new ones at Loew's: I had a $100 gift card and wound up spending only $13. in cash for all the hardware. Woo hoo!

Yep, walls were painted a very light color by Sherwin Williams called Canvas Tan. The house is not very large, so I wanted it to look and feel as airy as I could. We do have lovely views to the outside, with lots of trees, which we can enjoy from the sink.

The last thing we were waiting for is our custom plantation-style shutters to be installed on the clerestories and some other windows. We get killer blasts of western sun through those clerestories (this being Texas, after all) so we needed some kind of light-filtering window treatment.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grapefruit:
That is a very beautiful redo! It looks so fresh and bright!

Thanks, GF.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:

Oh, good gracious, YES. We love our new floors. They are textured ceramic tiles that mimic wood, and we put them throughout the entire house except for the baths and the MB. Probably the very best decision we have ever made.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
We started tiling our house with the plank textured wood tiles, I LOVE them! We have a stack not installed yet, DH's health and mine, plus 100+1 things put a halt to our projects, but we hope to get back to them someday! Smile
LOVE your space, you did a GREAT job achihuahua!!!

Posts: 9792 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aren't "new" kitchens fun! Especially when you designed it yourself!!!!

Posts: 3480 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
Love all the changes.. Its stunning~!

Oh how I would love to have that flooring.. swoon worthy for sure.

enjoy every moment it your lovely space.

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9988 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
Aren't "new" kitchens fun! Especially when you designed it yourself!!!!

As we say in Texas, "youbetchaboyhowdy."

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Dayz:
Love all the changes.. Its stunning~!

Oh how I would love to have that flooring.. swoon worthy for sure.

enjoy every moment it your lovely space.

Thanks, Sonny, we shall. The flooring was quite reasonably priced at slightly less than $7 per sq. ft installed; that's for materials and labor. We have a cement slab foundation, and I've found that engineered hardwood -- in my pitiful budget range -- doesn't look as good or wear as well as tile.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
It's beautiful, love everything about your new kitchen Smile

Posts: 4753 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the information.. I too am on a slab and several contractors have told me wood wouldnt do well here. Seeing yours lets me know I do have an alternative..

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9988 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
LOVE LOVE LOVE your remodel. I LOVE the flat or squared edge of the counterop. Someday I would love to do exactly what you did, paint my cabs white and do a countertop with that same edge.

What a timeless look, love it!!!

Posts: 9636 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
OIC. Beautiful job. I would consider doing that but unfortunately, my cabinetry is oak. I doubt the grain can be hidden. Correct me if I am wrong those in the know.

Posts: 18713 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As we say in Texas, "youbetchaboyhowdy."

Now you're making me laugh, aychi, since I know you're a Yankee transplant, and that's not EXACTLY what we really say in Texas Wink

However, I wanted to chime in to say that I too LOVE your new kitchen. Very similar design elements to what I hope to have someday. Great job - enjoy!

Posts: 4109 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Froo, we have some painted oak cabinetry in our laundry room, and while you are right that the grain shows through, I actually like that. I think it shows that it is real wood, as opposed to factory finish laminate. And there also may be more advanced priming treatments available now that would help better camouflage the grain.

In this pic, I don't think you can see the grain, so it's really not that obvious. I think I primed and then put probably three coats of acrylic.

Posts: 4109 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DonnaDGO
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! The whole kit n' caboodle!

Posts: 1195 | Location: GA | Registered: Jun 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! It's simply stunning~ I love everything about it.

It looks fresh, clean and inviting. Nice job!

Posts: 1714 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Pretty!

Posts: 3367 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Great job, N. Can't see the grain in the pic. Must have been labor intense tho. Thanks for explaining the project

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
AY,

A gorgeous re-do with your kitchen. You sure pulled it off with simplicity and grace. Looks like a functional place to work in. But where is the oven(s) in the new space?

The counter area is a much better design too! Enjoy your new home and kitchen.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9462 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Beau's Rose, you cracked me up about the ovens. They are opposite the wall with the cooktop. We put in a built-in wall micro unit and wall oven from GE, in a stainless finish, to replace the old ones. We just didn't get around to taking a picture of it yet.

OK, Nita -- how do REAL Texans say youbetchaboyhowdy? Smile

Also, regarding the grain pattern on the cabinets: ours are ash wood, and the grain pattern is less prominent than oak. A very subtle pattern shows through the paint; a rather nice look, IMO. You can see from Nita's pix that even oak can look great painted.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
AY,

But where is the oven(s) in the new space?

LOL, I have been looking for it too !!
It's a beautiful redo Aychi. Your design is so functional. Do you mind sharing your countertop and flooring patterns? Thanks....

Posts: 2269 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Such a pretty improvement, it looks great!!!

Posts: 566 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Wonderful reno, bet you are really enjoying it now!

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] OK, Nita -- how do REAL Texans say youbetchaboyhowdy? Smile [QUOTE]

LOL!! Just like that I guess, but I've never heard that all as one word Wink One might say "you betcha" or one might say "boy howdy" depending on the context Big Grin I was just messing with ya! (and I personally don't use either one unless I'm kidding around, like you were)

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Really, really nice!!! I like the detail on the back of the island.

Posts: 1143 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done. I love the detail on the counter bar area face. Just beautiful.

Posts: 9011 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lenie
posted Hide Post
I believe your vent hood is like the one I've been wanting for my kitchen redo. What brand is it? Model? Thanks! I love your redo. Wish I could have my cabinets painted, but guess I'll have to just deal with them for another 20 years. haha

Posts: 811 | Location: southern | Registered: Nov 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgia Peach:

It's a beautiful redo Aychi. Your design is so functional. Do you mind sharing your countertop and flooring patterns? Thanks....

Thanks, Georgia. The floors are Interceramic Porcelain Planks, Scenic Natural, 6" x 36".
The wood-look tile comes in two or three other colors, if I recall correctly: one is a dark walnut look and the other a kind of grey driftwood look.

Countertops are River White granite.

Hope this helps.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lenie:
I believe your vent hood is like the one I've been wanting for my kitchen redo. What brand is it? Model? Thanks! I love your redo. Wish I could have my cabinets painted, but guess I'll have to just deal with them for another 20 years. haha

Thanks, Lenie. I ordered the hood online from builder.com. The manufacturer is Zephr, and the style is called "Pyramid." It comes in two widths, 30" and 36."

As for painting the cabinets, let me encourage you to do it sooner than later. It will make the biggest bank for your buck when it comes to updating the look of the kitchen. Oh, and new hardware, which you can buy for a song these days.

If you or another family member or friend have basic painting skills and patience, you can do a good DIY job. It will take longer than a pro job, but it will also cost a heckuva a lot less!

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Fluffy, mountainbeach and paintlady, thanks for the very kind comments. If I have missed anyone, my apologies and much appreciation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
Beautiful redo. I have a question though. Do you have an oven in your kitchen? I'm not seeing one in the pics.Have never seen a kitchen without one so I'm just curious if I am just missing it.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5714 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Ann:
Beautiful redo. I have a question though. Do you have an oven in your kitchen? I'm not seeing one in the pics.Have never seen a kitchen without one so I'm just curious if I am just missing it.

Thanks, Lisa. Indeed I have a 27" GE wall oven and a built-in wall microwave. It's just out of camera range in the pictures I posted.

Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
Amazing transition. I am loving the countertops.

Posts: 512 | Location: NE PA | Registered: Jul 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
use in good health!

Posts: 8551 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
You've been holding out on us! Bad girl!

I LOVE your kitchen. Every time I see white cabinets I just want to run out and buy paint Smile

My favorite part is those windows! I've never seen windows that high before and I think it's a great idea. they bring in the light, but you don't have to cover them. Great idea.

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
My favorite part is those windows! I've never seen windows that high before and I think it's a great idea. they bring in the light, but you don't have to cover them.

I love my clerestory windows also and they flood the kitchen with light. But, this is a case of too much of a good thing. Normally, we wouldn't have to cover them, but because of the painful glare from the Texas setting sun, we will be installing plantation-style shutters that we can tilt up or down as needed.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
What a great renovation! Your "after" kitchen looks wonderful. Your "before" picture of the kitchen looked nice too. If my before kitchen looked as nice as yours we probably would have left it as is.
I have that same refrigerator as your old one...it's out in the garage now.

I love the clerestory windows too.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7504 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post