Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning/Favorite Find 5/13/13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning/Favorite Find 5/13/13 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
Happy Monday everyone! I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day with family and friends.

Please join in our weekly sharing game. Post pictures or just tell us about any great goodies that have come your way. We always love to hear prices too.

Let's play Smile

Posts: 10396 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Went to a "blind" estate sale Saturday (blind meaning just an address -- no photos or description of mdse). We hit the "motherlode" -- she was a long time antique dealer and the stuff!!! Oh, had I known I would have driven to the city on the FIRST day -- as it was we were on the THIRD day -- all of the great furniture was sold (but did I NEED furniture?) but there were some good odds and ends and everything was half price!

ALL the stuff didn't take quite all of a $50 bill!

Martha

A great "gathering" basket -- PERFECT for magazines upstairs in the sunroom!

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A bunch of garden magazines -- old ones but gardening ideas don't change as much as interior ones!

Martha

Posts: 5400 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
An old blue and white plate -- it does have a crack but it will make a great cabinet piece and it is really old -- and it was only $1.50!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A small old English blue willow platter. I like these small pieces and of course, I adore blue and white. I often use them as "saucers" or "coasters" on my living room tables. And will pick them up when they're cheap enough.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Under the pitcher of white carnations. We had company for dinner last night and so more flowers in the house!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
And old Asian piece -- not sure how old not am I sure what it is but you see this style often.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A small Staffordshire spaniel -- which I'm sure is Staffordshire but not sure of it's age. There is so many repros out there but I do think it's old. I love the spaniels and have several -- most are repros, however.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
With two newer "guys" -- Think three looks better than two!

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A great shallow English blue and white bowl

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
On the coffee table filled with potpourri I like these shallow bowls because they don't use as much potpourri!

Martha

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Wonderful goodies Martha! I had no idea you could sell old magazines. I have a BILLION of them. Actually, I have three of the garden magazines you showed.

DH and I are planning to move within the next 3 years and need to sell a lot of our furniture. We're trying to decide on the best way to go about it. I've never been to an estate sale, maybe I'll PM you with some questions. You seem to be familiar with how they work

Here is my find for the week. I bought the basket and made this arrangement for my mom for MOther's Day. It took 4 dozen roses! Mom loved it.

Posts: 10396 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Linderhof!
LUCKY YOU! And lucky US for being able to see the stuff you got! And marked down!
That basket is awesome and so well made, you know it can take the weight of magazines!
I have saved my Garden magazines (for the same reason, they do not change in style).
That was a STEAL for that plate!
That platter is awesome!
I love how ou layer your tablescapes with plates and interesting finds.
Interesting 'box', I have never seen one like that. And the Staffordshire spaniel is cute and good addition to your collection!

Your coffee table with blue and white additions really creates wonderful interesting layers!

Skyler,
Sounds like 3 yrs will be just the time you need to sort, sort sort! I like the little basket for your MD gift, how sweet!

Thank you for maintaining this wonderful MMF's thread! I love seeing all the treasures!

AS for ME:
I didn't find anything new, Cataract finished and recovering well. I put some things on CL, so I will have more space to do what I planned for the house. The weather has been great so DH is out in the yard a lot. The rainy season starts next month and that means 3' growth on some trees and shrubs so we need to be ready.

Thanks again Skyler and LOVE seeing all the GREAT finds!

Posts: 9527 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mary Ruth. I'm glad to hear you're recovering well. The weather is starting to get warm here too. No rain for us but we sure could use it!

Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Martha, You always find so many wonderful items!!
I would love to go to Estate Sales like you, but my DH is totally uninterested. Our Sat. mornings are spent playing golf or going to DGK’s games.

Skyler, what a sweet basket you created for your Mom! I’m sure she loved it all the more because you made it for her!

I found a glass front cabinet at GdWl. It was marked $39.99, but I have a Club Blue card (their frequent shopper card) that gives me a 20% discount on purchases over $25.00. So, it was $31.99!!
It is 5’ tall, solid wood, and the shelves are very sturdy. I’m putting my crystal/glassware in it, and it’s not done yet, but I wanted to post the picture anyway! Wave

TTFN,
Candy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Christmas Candy,

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Candy's that's a great cabinet!!!

We don't go estate saling as often as we'd like for they're in the city and this one was just pure luck -- we had a little time before we had to be somewhere and it was close to where we were!

But DH likes to go as well . . . and he finds unusual things!

Martha

posted Hide Post
Here in a large metropolitan area, there are small companies who do estate sales. They handle the advertising and price the goods. The cost is maybe 30%. Usually the sale last 2 days with MOST things being reduced 50% on the 2nd day.
The sale is conducted in the person's home after they have moved out. The merchandise is left in place so people wander all over the house.
Prices are usually about the same as in a consignment store. All leftovers are given to charity.

There is ONE woman here who will buy the entire contents of a house for a set price. She keeps all money received. Otherwise the sale is conducted about the same as all of them. Lasts 2 days and prices reduced 50% on the 2nd day.
She gives ALL money received to one specific charity.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Christmas Candy,
What a nice cabinet and also wonderful to get a good DEAL! I love that size cabinet because you can also put it on top of a short drawer unit, low side table to change the look!

Posts: 9527 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
CC, thank you and great cabinet! It does look very sturdy and gives you a lot of great storage. Have fun decorating it and thanks for sharing with us.

Lu, thanks for the information on the estate sales. It would be nice to get everything sold in a few days. That may be the way we go.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Ladies,

Skyler, Thanks for the thread and your arrangement is beautiful. Your Dmom must love it too.

Martha, Well you've done it again. If there is a prize category for MMF, you get the award. Always fun to see your scores.

Mary Ruth, Looking forward to seeing your projects again. Yes summer has arrived in FL. Can you believe others were still getting "snow" last week. Is that a 4 letter word for you now?

Candy, You sure score also with your finds. Great cabinet and so many storage options. Crafts, books, fabrics too!

DSon scored a waterfall dresser in good condition for $50. It is beautiful and told him we could take care of the few scratches with Restore a Finish. But he is OK with patina. Sorry no pics but it's pretty.

Fun thread!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9324 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Beau's Rose,
Eh... YA Martha is the MMF queen! Boy does she have GREAT places to shop AND she zooms right in on the BEST stuff!
I had to read the word 'snow' twice and check the date of the post!!! If someone says 'snow' around here, we giggle... and someone says a big 'NOT'! lol

AS for ME:
The BOOT IS OFF! Yippee, two months of taking it easy on that foot... but healing up... Ahhhh! Eyes are doing good 7 day check up with eye doctor tomorrow! DONE with that.. Ahhhhhh!
BIG SMILE on my face today!

Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
We bought this desk from a thrift/antique shop. It was originally in the local Pharmacy (soda shop) for as long as it existed. They had pictures of it in the store in very old pictures. We couldn't help but want to buy it and keep the history behind it intact, and not have someone just come buy it and take it far away, without caring about the history. We found old papers that had fallen behind the shelves from 1911-1916. It's made by Paine Furniture Company. Label says 48 Canal Street, Boston.

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
Here is an ad for the company and the desk. We paid more than $18!

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Hiya Beau's Rose, thanks she does love it.

Mary Ruth, my favorite part of this thread is your wonderful news! So happy your boot is off and your eyes are doing well. You must be so happy and I'm happy for you Smile

Hi Jov, really good to see you posting again! I love your desk and all the history behind it. It would have been a shame to see it in someone's hands that didn't appreciate it. Enjoy and thanks for popping in.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Wow -- Jov, what a piece of history and I'm glad you have the sense to preserve it!!! Lucky you -- even if it cost more than $18!!!!

Beau's Rose/Mary Ruth -- thanks, I just enjoy going and scouting == there's always a lot of chaff out there, I just go for the wheat!!! LOL!!!

Mary Ruth -- good news for you -- between boot and eyes, you sound like you're on the mend!!!

Martha

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Jo,

That is such a find you made! Really special that you have the history too. Are you framing the desk or the papers you found? Those would be quite the conversation pieces. Enjoy your find!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9324 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
jobtfam4,
WOW, I am familiar with that company in Boston! Very NICE desk! Not only did you find a treasure! But a story too! Very NICE! I love all the wear on that desk and patina... what a workhorse that desk has been! And now has a nice home where it is appreciated!

Skyler! AW... thanks! Doing better each day, and now to keep it that way!!! LOL

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Wow such finds again!

I've been to estate sales where it was solely for downsizing, so there are companies that can organize it for you.

The only "find" this week was my first snake sighting for the summer!!!! Eek! It was a baddie, but thankfully dead as my wee ones found it first!

Posts: 2959 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
junk collector,
We are HAPPY to see our black snakes in our yard and neighborhood! They take care of a LOT of pests we don't want instead! Smile Each yard has its own snake and family, they are territorial and keep out poisonous snakes (who else would fight one off for you?) keep field mice away from your home and garage, and eat a ton of bugs!

I do not like watching them chase a small gecko around here, they are so cute (and eat bugs).

The black racers we have in and around our yards are not venomous, but will bite if provoked. If we stumble on one, we stay still and move away, it stops hissing when not in danger and will move away from us quickly!

Our neighbors told us a story about our area. We are near a canal and get a few different types of snakes, some we hope to never see! I have seen a copperhead when we lived in the apartment before moving into the house. Anyway, the neighbors found out that if you spread sulfur, the snakes won't cross it, so everyone put some along the back of the property. NO SNAKES, BUT... mice multiplied as well as large bugs and spiders (we get 5" across wolf spiders in the trees). Well everyone complained about all the 'pests' around... YES, nature had balanced the 'pests' by itself... so no more sulfur and let the snakes come back... and back to a natural balance. We respect nature and the so called pests that come into our yard. And sometimes get to enjoy a Hawk swoop down and carry away a nice juicy snake for dinner! Fun to watch the Hawks try and take an Armadillo and it rolls up into a ball... We co-exist with nature...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

posted Hide Post
I'm relying on neighbor's cats to take care of any mice, and the coyotes and hawks for all others! We had a bad freeze two winters ago and have not seen a single roadrunner in our neighborhood since (though I see them elsewhere). Snake sightings went up significantly since that freeze.

My backyard neighbor's dog was bit by a baddie, and she's a big girl - my dogs are small - I doubt we would get to the ER in time.

And we loooovvvvveeee the lizards! OH MY - is there anything better to chase???? That motivates my Pom more than anything Wink

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
What a mess when overrun!

We have an Aloe large mound of the plants in the front yard. WE water it now and then when it is dry out and it has become what we call 'the gecko condos'! We love seeing them running around the area. A snake visited that area last week from the neighbor's yard, it got 'quiet' around there! I can just imagine that pom yelping and chasing the little critters! Smile

Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by junk collector:

My backyard neighbor's dog was bit by a baddie,

What is a baddie? A poisonous snake?

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MyLifeVacation1:
quote:
Originally posted by junk collector:

My backyard neighbor's dog was bit by a baddie,

What is a baddie? A poisonous snake?

Yep - around here we have rattlesnakes. We had a dead one in front a year or two ago, and neighbors dog is very lucky!

D h found another dead snake yesterday, not poisonous this time. Someone's cat must be working overtime!

Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
I think we will have to frame the papers and vintage pictures. I wouldn't want them to get damaged.

I love the history behind the desk. I guess an elderly woman went into the shop because they had bought some of her furniture, and she said she had worked at the pharmacy, and sat at that desk for many hours, for many years. I thought that was near. She recognized it immediately.

We love the history behind it. My dad grew up in Walpole, NH, and when he saw it, he remembered it too. I guess the "soda fountain" equipment and furniture is just sitting in a barn somewhere in Walpole. I hope someone pulls the stuff out before it gets damaged. The desk had obviously been stored somewhere where a mouse could get into a drawer. I'm glad it's in a "safe place" now, where we can love it and honor it.

On the "safe place" note... My 6 year old son drew on it with a black permanent marker. We felt sick to our stomachs. It was one of those, "Do, dee, do, I'm a little boy not thinking" moments, not him trying to be naughty. We researched it and it came off with a special pencil eraser. Didn't do a think to the finish, just removed the permanent marker. Whew.