Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Taking photographs from ideas & inspirations (humor)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking photographs from ideas & inspirations (humor) Sign In/Join 
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted
I saw this photo on Pinterest (original link: http://www.100layercake.com/bl...wedding-inspiration/ )

And it got me thinking! I am sitting here chuckling because of the images that came into my mind as to how someone might come up with some of the 'vignette' photos I am seeing.

This is where my mind went... gee perhaps the homeowner OR a stylist or stager... was preparing to set the table for a shoot... then said to assistant (or teenaged child helping out)
"Could you take the floral arrangement off the table for a minute while I wipe it down, and get a cloth on it"?
Teenager (or assistant) puts the vase on the chair cause their cell phone is ringing.... can't answer the phone with one hand.. so down went the flowers and now hands are free to also text!!!

Lady of the house (or stager) thinks 'YIKES' the floral arrangement is on the 'CHAIR'!!! And then BRAIN SHIFT...
OH hey, that looks cool with that fabric... let me take a picture quick!

Scene in my head ends with BOTH people talking on the phone, one to a friend who called, and the other calling friends to brag about the great arrangement and photo she is about to send!!! And... of course How 'CLEVER' she was to combine those two items!!!

Yes I can amuse myself! Smile

Do you have any accidental genius tries? You know 'fell' into the perfect mix or arrangement?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

b&w with flowers

Posts: 9709 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I have always liked this photo which I call "working mish mash" It is our living room while I was doing something to the porch. . . probably cleaning it.

Furniture never like this, rocker goes on porch still I always liked the way this looked. Just not practical!

Posts: 12545 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
los,
I like that! I see what you mean, something you do not usually do, but it looks nice! Photographers of interiors also style like this, they scour the house for interesting items to place for a photo, they get fresh flowers, and also bring items to 'fill' room vignettes with.

LOVE the Lavenders in the back on the right side, and the 'flower' thing under the mantel is nice for color, goes so WELL with the black and white striped ottoman. Nice composition! Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 9709 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Decorating is never really an accident but merely an opportunity to see things in another perspective. Much like most accidents/mishaps in life, when a door is closed, a window opens. Trust me, I am in the midst of such a revolution. Read my broken glass post to understand what I am trying to convey. These are both relevant tho one much more serious than the other.

Posts: 18657 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
No picture to share but a couple of years ago we were re-finishing the dining room floor so naturally our dining table had to be moved. We arranged it in our great room with the TV and sectional at one end and the dining table and the chairs at the other. It actually looked very nice in that room and was near the brick fireplace. My family enjoyed several evenings of meals in front of a fire. If I had a wall to accommodate the dining buffet I might would have kept that arrangement.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Froo,
I read this post, then went to look for your post about the broken glass...

YES, opportunities to see things in different perspective! One door is closed and another is open. Glad you are OK!!! Time for reflection!

Georgia Peach,
I know, that is HOW we decided where to keep our dining table in this house! IT was a temporary set up when we got here with our stuff... and now it will be where the dining table stays because we got the chance to view it in real life setting (our stuff actually there and not just an inspirational photo) and to enjoy the views of the house from that vantage point.

Here our Craigslist listings are full of large dining room sets... when we were younger all we thought about was 'Thanksgiving Dinner'... fitting 10 or more for that day only... our dining sets and dish sets, flatware, serving pieces all fit around that holiday... NOW... we think of US.. and temporary set ups for IF we have that large a dinner here. Gave us a chance to do something more creative with our dining set up.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
'flower' thing under the mantel is nice for color, goes so WELL with the black and white striped ottoman. Nice composition! Thanks for sharing!

Oh, Mary Ruth the ottoman is green and white!

Here is a pic of the piece of decoupage hanging under the mantel. I had wanted to do a piece reminiscent of the Victorian narrow rose paintings and I had my eye out for a narrow board. Can you believe I found this one (where else) and it had the molding etc, plus wear that I loved!

Posts: 12545 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
los,
I was going by the photo color on my monitor... but green works too... I liked the composition!
GREAT find on that board with the molding!