Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  What do you think of this corner tv cabinet? pics/link to ad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this corner tv cabinet? pics/link to ad Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
Looking back now, I am bummed I missed out on that one sorta "craftsman" style corner stand I was looking at but thought was a little over priced at $200++. But then again, I didnt have my sectional and wasnt 100% sure if I wanted the tv angled in the corner.

So I have found this one. What do you think?
The price is good.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org.../fuo/3729385699.html

Posts: 9432 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another picture of it.

Posts: 9432 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And this was the craftsman style one I missed out on:

posted Hide Post
And corner tv cab would replace this black cabinet:

posted Hide Post
Why do you want a corner cabinet? I bought a new one recently. It is like the one you missed out on, but larger. I have it angled in the corner but it is not a corner cabinet. I works just fine and I can put it flat against a wall one day if I choose. Also, do you like the light wood or would you paint it black like your old one?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: oojeanie,

Posts: 419 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Always,

I like the current cabinet. It seems to fit that space on the wall.

Would the angle cabinet cover part of the window? You find great stuff on your CL!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9325 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm ok with the pine wood color or something painted.

I just figured a cabinet made with angles for the corner would fit/look better than a rectangle angled in the corner.

B-Rose, it might over lap some in front of the window.

posted Hide Post
Always, I like the one you have now. Personally, I would not like a corner cabinet because it would probably cover part of the window and I think it would not be good for TV viewing from your sectional. Why are you thinking of a new TV cabinet? Is it because of the doors on the bottom?

love life

Posts: 1423 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not so concerned about the one side overlapping the window. I have doors to the black cabinet, I took them off so that isn't why I'm interested in the CL cabinet. I had my old tv in the corner before and I like it.

Last night I turned the cabinet on an angle to see how I like the viewing of the tv but it's hard to get the full effect when it feels like the cabinet is half way in the living room because it doens't "tuck" in the corner like a corner cabinet would.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
If it is hard to view maybe you should go with this piece. You can always sell it if you find one you like better.

Posts: 7969 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Since you are willing to spend for a Craftsman, do not rethink it. Go with that idea.

What to do:
Put in search for Craftsman cabinets and do NOT look at any other kind or you will have the same 'Too bad I missed out on' for this cabinet (pictured) as a temporary...

I am old enough to have seen things come before me more than once and IF I wait, what I am looking for (as long as I search for it) usually comes back around. Meanwhile save your money and add to it if you can until you FIND the right one! A ONE-TIME purchase.

Posts: 9528 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
Since you are willing to spend for a Craftsman, do not rethink it. Go with that idea.

What to do:
Put in search for Craftsman cabinets and do NOT look at any other kind or you will have the same 'Too bad I missed out on' for this cabinet (pictured) as a temporary...

I am old enough to have seen things come before me more than once and IF I wait, what I am looking for (as long as I search for it) usually comes back around. Meanwhile save your money and add to it if you can until you FIND the right one! A ONE-TIME purchase.

I wasn't looking for craftsman...I only mean I missed out on it because it was nice. If anything I was a little hesitant at first about the $200. one because it was craftmany-looking...and I thought it was a little over-price for what I wanted to pay.

I'm ok with craftman if it's more on the cleaner line or this rustic pine type.

posted Hide Post
Always- The stand you missed out on is made by Ashley. I have the same thing, a little larger, in a straight style. I checked my receipt and I paid $225 for it at HH Gregg. You didn't really miss out because it was way overpriced for something used.

Posts: 419 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oojeanie:
Always- The stand you missed out on is made by Ashley. I have the same thing, a little larger, in a straight style. I checked my receipt and I paid $225 for it at HH Gregg. You didn't really miss out because it was way overpriced for something used.

VERY GOOD POINT! Thanks for sharing that oojeanie! RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH what you love, because then you will know how much it is NEW how much it is used and how much of a deal or not a deal when you find it.

Good advice!

Posts: 9528 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the pic your carpet looks beige. Personally I don't care for mixing yellow tones (including wood) with beige. Maybe a brown toned wood instead?

Posts: 1736 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
In the pic your carpet looks beige. Personally I don't care for mixing yellow tones (including wood) with beige. Maybe a brown toned wood instead?

You must be looking at the sellers picture of the corner cabinet. I don't have carpet. I have a terra-cotta type tile. My place is the picture with the brown sectional. The area rug I do have in there is a cheetah print. But the tv cabinet would not be on the area rug.

posted Hide Post
Just my two cents but the cabinet might "tuck into" the corner but the TV will still only angle so much with its width. You could have a lot of "dead" space in back???

Posts: 263 | Location: CO/SD/CO/IA/IL | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Always1StepBehind:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:

You must be looking at the sellers picture of the corner cabinet. I don't have carpet. I have a terra-cotta type tile. My place is the picture with the brown sectional. The area rug I do have in there is a cheetah print. But the tv cabinet would not be on the area rug.

Ohhh, sorry.You're right. I like the pine with the Mexican style tile floor. Gotta' say either the pine or the oak Craftsman style would look good with your sectional.It looks like there is a console table behind the sectional(?), what wood is that?

Posts: 1736 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a pine dresser on the wall behind the sectional I use for storage and for the lighting for living room (no overhead lighting in Living room)

posted Hide Post
Did you notice in the last picture, the legs and wood along the bottom of your sectional are dark.....either brown or black....to me that matches the TV cabinet you have now. Maybe if you want a corner cabinet, you can find one that is darker wood.

love life

Posts: 1423 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pushed the tv cabinet back flat against the wall. I like it better like that. So the corner tv cabinet is out. Thanks for the replies and input though.

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
I agree look for one same scale flat against wall...it works for your room and awesome you showed us the where and not just the what! I do like that craftsman looking one...I have been pondering a corner unit because to get one 40" would be like putting it on the wall to the left of your current spot and would have to angle the tv on it. Currently I have a little cheap rectangle unit on an angle simulating a corner unit. Best thing I found was some of those amish sites online that custom make more choices of dimensions and finishes. I think a dark unit would look best in your room too!! Smile

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7305 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post