Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  bedding for mission style furniture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bedding for mission style furniture Sign In/Join 
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted
We have mission style furniture for our bedroom and was wondering what kind of bedding to get for it. The room has beige carpeting and light beige walls. I don't have window coverings up yet either. I just thought something with a simple style might look the best. What do you think?

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Do you have a picture of the style of furniture you have? Is it like a craftsman style?

Posts: 9427 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
I've always like this bedding from Kohls. I could see this with mission style furniture.

Posts: 9427 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Mission or Craftsman furniture is about valuing handmade, and appreciating joinery and the way things are constructed. The whole movement was in response to machine made furniture of the Victorian era. They were against the mechanization of furniture making.

If you do a little research on the movement you will see lots of natural fabrics, natural wood tones, a lot of simplicity.

Have you considered a simple linen or cotton spread or comforter and then some special pillows?

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the post from Always. The combination of small scale paisley, ticking,etc. in a washed looking cotton is very William Morris. Perfect for Mission style.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Michelle_
posted Hide Post
I like what Always posted too. Another poster from another thread has a mission style bed but has a different decor style which I think looks very pretty. Mission furniture has nice clean lines, so I think a lot of different things can work with it, country, traditional to modern & quirky/eclectic.

http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...4079532/m/5223983767

Posts: 504 | Location: NE PA | Registered: Jul 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Here's a William Morris pattern, Willow Bough, designed in 1887.

About 10 years ago, this pattern was licensed for a set of bedding and curtains, which I bought for my bedroom. Drop dead gorgeous. Unfortunately, the bedding is no longer available.

It is as fresh a pattern today as it was then.

If you are attracted to nature-inspired patterns in earthy colors like Willow Bough, you might use this as a jumping off point for your bedding.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Always1StepBehind:
I've always liked this bedding from Kohls. I could see this with mission style furniture.

I love that bedding, Always1StepBehind.

Posts: 1723 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
since most of our family took advantage of sears catalog, the bedding was more often home-made quilts...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjf,

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LibraDesignEye
posted Hide Post
HH,
Mission style came from the arts and crafts movement, and some of those prints have been utilized since their creation. They are gorgeous.

Go look at the prints in the original arts and crafts movement at the venerable and original w. morris http://www.william-morris.co.u...C=9&D=20130201074414

Even if you want to maintain a more modern look overall, there are some fabulous traditional fabrics that draw from these gorgeous fabrics and wall coverings. If you do look for a quilt, you can look for something that echos these elements and patterns, and layer it across the foot of the bed if you love it. The columbine / bluebell pattern is the most neutral but the graphic is lovely.

Posts: 2032 | Registered: Apr 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
StepBehind, I love that paisley look at Kohls but I don't like anything patchwork unless it has a faded look. No offense to anyone who likes to make quilts but I don't care for the bright colors in most quilts. I will have to check out the paisley quilt......I have always loved paisley. This bedroom furniture is my husbands.......we got married on Dec. 24 so I have inherited it although it won't be in our home in AZ until we go back to move the rest of our household items. But yes, it is a craftsman style.......Stickley type stuff.

Libra, I love those styles too.....I always am attracted to anything leafy.

The other thing I might mention is that I have a mattalesse off white spread but it would take a colorful throw at the bottom to give it some life.

I am sorry, I have no way of posting pics and even if I could, the furniture is still in Iowa and I am in AZ.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like country decor then you know all about where to find the best primitive decor online. Or so you thought. country decor can be hard to find. Even better country decor at a good price. I however have a solution for you. The best new place to find country decor. Visit www.theprimitivecottage.com there is everything you can imagine. Register on their website and get 10% off!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
omg..my cousin is downsizing and his dw emailed me today he might, just might, give up my grandmother's rocker(mission)...what a find that would be! had often wondered who had taken it when she passed in 1968...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post