Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Wall decor, mixing antique with contemporary
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wall decor, mixing antique with contemporary Sign In/Join 
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted
I am moving into a retirement home in AZ in one of the 55 plus communities. This house is more on the contemporary side, I would say. The house I am moving from is 100 years old and I always have enjoyed some antiques in it. I am keeping hardly any of the furniture except a chest of drawers and a pie safe that I dont' use in the kitchen.

I am looking for something to put on the wall by my dining room. I can't afford to go out and buy a very large painting, because that is what I would need.

I have this old magazine from 1904 that shows lots of ladies in fashion of the day and the millenary that they wore then. I was thinking of doing a decoupage of the pages on a board to hang on that wall. Do you think it would look ok to mix contemporary with this? This is a pic of my dining area.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
I realize you can't really see the wall but it is just plain. I plan to do some painting other than builders beige.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hammerhugger,

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you thought of framing each illustration in a separate frame and then hanging them as a group?

Posts: 1738 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I think it would be beautiful done in separate frames as Gracie just described.

Posts: 7975 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I think your idea is just fine Hammerhugger. You can give the appearance of individual pieces by painting the background a color and/or applying strips of wood between each image or even just tape of some kind.

You are gluing the images to the board. Decoupage refers to the art of arranging individually cut images to create a new work of art. Sorry to be so persnickity but decoupage is my thing.

If each element in each one of those pictures were individually cut (hat, shoes, dress etc) then that would be decoupage.

The individual frames would be great too but not so cost effective.

Posts: 12222 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have thought about using individual frames and rethought it because of the expense. I did think of painting a large board and mounting the pages on it spaced evenly too. I know that sometimes you can find all the same frames pretty inexpensively so I still might do that. Mainly, I wanted to know if it would be ok to mix the prints with the contemporary, so thank you all for your ideas. We are in the process of moving so it might be awhile before I get around to this project but I will post a pic when I get it done.

--Mel Weldon

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Check out dollar stores for black wooden frames. I love the grid gallery wall illustrated.

Blessings in your new home. Have fun making it your own.

Posts: 18459 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Optionally, consider enlarging two or three prints to poster size. If these aren't copyrighted prints that is. Poster frames in black are reasonably priced, but be patient and use craft store coupons to stretch your dollars.

Posts: 18459 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To respond specifically to your query, my answer is, "why not?"
Sounds perfectly fine to me.
I have beautiful antique Sevres vases flanking my fireplace mantle in a home that is geared toward contemporary/modern. And they look just fine.
If you like it, go for it.
More importantly, is the scale of the collage to the rest of the room.
Just make sure it is not too small (or too large, depending...)

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
FrooFroo, I love your idea as well! I noticed that the ones posted all have mats and that would add to the cost but of course I love the look of it. The pages on this magazine are just a sample of the look.

--Mel Weldon

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Forgot to turn it.

--Mel Weldon

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
another, cool huh?

--Mel Weldon

posted Hide Post
I like those prints a lot Hammerhugger. I have some old magazines from that time.

Don't the hair styles remind you of "Gift of the Magi?"

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
I have to confess, I never read that story before but found it on the internet and loved it! Yes, the style would remind you of the "Gift of Magi"!

I don't know why but this reminds me of a story my friend told me. She worked at a retail store (Kohls) that sold jewelry. Her husband bought her some diamond earrings and hid them in his sock drawer (he thought) and she found them. She saw that he paid full price for them so she secretly took them back and got them at their 1/2 price sale and had a 30% coupon off to boot. She put them back in the sock drawer and he was never the wiser!

--Mel Weldon

Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
You can buy inexpensive black frames in several sizes at Ikea, and they are available online as well.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know this is one of those situations where I wish I could share with you all. At my swap shop today they had a box full (10 or so) of framed photographs.

The frames looked to be about 11 X 14. I considered taking them for one of my own projects but they had been professionally framed and so harder to disassemble.

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
LOS, that would have probably been ideal for me to use!

Cara, thanks for the tip. We don't have an Ikea here but there is one fairly close to me in AZ so will wait till we get there to do anything.

--Mel Weldon

posted Hide Post
I love a contemporary home with some antiques or rustic pieces mixed in

Posts: 438 | Registered: Jun 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post