Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  my shiny "new" floor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my shiny "new" floor Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
The other day I was painting a board in the yard to extend the storage space in my kitchen cupboards.

I was using oil paint but outside o.k. I love to paint and that project was over too quickly so I came inside and started to paint the flanges holding the pipes which hold our sink in back hall. Whew, I could not do that at all, my head was reeling.

DH finished the job, next day but I could not eat at home that night and we gave it several days to really dry out, door open, fan on.

This is a very difficult space, a toilet basically in the back entrance to house. Some time ago many people gave me suggestions for this space & I particularly remember Christie "Bella" as she even did schematics. Other than changing the sink we have been unable to do anything else.

But now I am looking forward to painting the backdoor that great green and cleaning up its brasses!

Posts: 12925 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
LOS-That looks great. LOVE that green!!

Posts: 9682 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
That is a pretty new floor! Love the color.

Martha

Posts: 6199 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got confused...so you started painting the flanges and ended up painting the whole floor? (or DH did) - LOL! Well, it looks great!

Posts: 4132 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks great. I remember hating green as a child, guess I grew out of it because I have a lot of green in my house! Yours is so fresh and pretty.

Posts: 1988 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
It's so shiny, I LOVE IT!!!!!

Posts: 4767 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
The floor looks pretty and shiny! Glad you are OK from those fumes and nice that DH could help you with the painting too.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9485 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got confused...so you started painting the flanges and ended up painting the whole floor?

I did paint the flanges but the paint made me sick. this is such a small area that painting it all would be a matter of minutes, but couldn't do it a/c fumes. The floor also needed touching up, easy to paint it all.

I'm pretty sure this is not the same paint I used a long time ago and yet it matches perfectly!

This is the area where I put the picture "frame" of pics of grandkids. See the molding painted same color? I originally painted this space many, many years ago. Remember thinking that I could go to the movies the same day. Could not, all that woodwork took time!

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I love your painted floors LOS and love this green. Very pretty and shiny. How many coats do you put on your floor and does it hold up well? The color of your floor reminds me of a square linoleum tile that was once in my grandmother's kitchen many, many years ago. My grandmother would wax it. You could see your reflection in it!

Be careful with the paint fumes. They can overtake you in a hurry.

Posts: 2279 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Now that is one shiny green! Love it!

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many coats do you put on your floor and does it hold up well?

I originally painted this floor many, many years ago. It was getting worn in the middle which is not surprising as we have dreadful weather about 6 months of the year and this is the main way we enter the house.

Can't remember what I did first but DH gave it only one coat this time around.

(think these are probably asbestos tiles under the paint!)

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
I thought I recognized that little space! The high gloss will make it easy to clean. Funny about paint. Ya just can't stop once ya get started!

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post