Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Are Roman Shades difficult to sew?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Roman Shades difficult to sew? Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm thinking I'd like theses in some of my rooms, but wondering if they are difficult to sew. I've made lined drapery, valances, etc., but for some reason have been intimidated by roman shades.

Posts: 777 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I don't think they would be too difficult as long as the rings line up horizontally.

There used to be a man on this forum (think he lived in Bakersfield Ca) and he did very good sewing and was a good decorator. Maybe others will remember him too. Seems to me he left instructions of how to sew Roman shades.

If you mean for your bedroom, they would be great!
Joy Luck has lists of different categories of things on members. Maybe those instructions are included on that listing?????

Would you make them with inserts where the pleats are or just have them "soft"?

Posts: 12611 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
They aren't difficult. If you Google "How to make ..." you'll probably find tons of simple instructions.

It was Miles, LOS. He could be a stinker, but I really liked him a lot and he was wonderful with some of his projects! He's one of the people I miss. Loved his bed project!

You can do it, Christy!

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Not difficult at all. Straight lines and straight seams. I would be sure use one of the cutting grids like the quilters use and a rotary cutter. They make it much easier to keep everything straight. Be sure to consider your fabric repeat especially where you will make the folds.

Here are some pattern links. I have purchase from this company and very happy with their customer service.

http://mfay.com/index.php?id_c...&controller=category

A site with How-To for you.
http://www.rowleycompany.com/#

Supplies, Instructions, and Hardware

http://www.terrelldesigns.com/...ware/Plastic-Battens

Good Luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was Miles, LOS. He could be a stinker,

That is right and he could be vicious. I have wondered (since he had hinted at self destructive tendencies . . . if he is o.k.)

I remember the headboard made up of blocks of wood and covered with fabric. Great idea and execution.

Posts: 12611 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post