Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Bamboo, engineered hardwood or solid hardwood?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bamboo, engineered hardwood or solid hardwood? Sign In/Join 
Picture of my2gals
posted
And then I guess you get into stranded vs solid bamboo, engineered or pre-engineered...my head is swimming! Smile
I currently have pre engineered hardware that we put in 6-7 years ago. It has had a couple of mishaps that have left dents but for the most part has performed very well.
I had thought I had it narrowed down to a solid bamboo for my new place but I have seen a few sample boards with significant scratches that worry me.
Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Posts: 903 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
i'd like to know also...we're due for a new kitchen floor, and I liked the "green value" of the bamboo...

Posts: 8567 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of people who put in bamboo and hate it, yes it is green but too soft.
Put in solid hardwood, it should last for years.

Posts: 2483 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
We have installed solid oak flooring in two houses and highly recommend it.

Posts: 18740 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I live in a 1920 house with solid oak hardware floors -- from 1920 -- it's 94 years old and in great condition. I wouldn't have anything but.

Martha

Posts: 6284 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
I agree that solid hardwood appears to be the best choice all the way around. When we put our pre engineered floors in 6-7 yrs ago we couldn't find a glue down option in solid hardwood. Now that I am looking again the options for glue down solid hardwood seem to be endless. I don't know if something has changed tremendously over the years or if I am just looking at different places?

posted Hide Post
You have to be careful with bamboo. Some bamboo made in China uses acid solutions to soften the bamboo fiber and the disposal is hardly "green". Remember that "green" has become a buzzword and isn't always what it seems.

Posts: 1800 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
Charles D, I just read up on that! Not good. Looking for a solid hardwood now to fit the budget.

posted Hide Post
There's bamboo and then there's bamboo.
I am more than thrilled with our blond bamboo flooring but we had excellent guidance in choosing it. We were warned not to get the cheap stuff. If you're doing it, it has to be done right. Also, it cannot be installed immediately. It has to sit in the room(s) it is going to go in so that it takes on the temperature of the room.
I liked the idea of going green and it's been 5 years now since we had it installed and except for one small glitch, which they promptly came out and fixed immediately at no charge, it looks simply divine, and it's easy to clean.

Posts: 1731 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like solid hardwood. Never goes out of style. Trends will come and go.

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
We had heart-pine through out; beautiful, but soft and dents/mars very easily.

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bamboo is awesome, that's what I would go with.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Another vote for solid hardwood.

Posts: 7262 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I'm another solid hardwood floor person here, too. My house is 95 yrs old w/ original floors, so yes, they stand the test of time.

My 2nd choice would be an engineered hardwood.

I agree w/ Charles - everything labeled as "green" isn't at all "green" when taking into consideration the entire manufacturing process.

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5593 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solid hardwood, my son installed bamboo, now replacing it, it looks horrible.

Posts: 2483 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hardwood!

Posts: 548 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
Great! Thank you! We have been in the home now for about a month and getting very close to starting demo on old flooring. Needed to focus on 2 girls getting back to college first! Have yet to choose hardwood (will be looking for solid hardwood) but have purchased 8 tons of travertine. 8 tons! Who knew what fun that would be to get home and placed in garage.