Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Kitchen and dining question?? 8/8...Added new fabric on dining room chairs.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen and dining question?? 8/8...Added new fabric on dining room chairs. Sign In/Join 
Picture of lilsophie
posted
I'm thinking of changing paint colors in my kitchen and dining room walls.
Right now it's two toned. Upper walls are a taupe color and bottom section of walls are a creamy color.
Now my cabinets are creamy color and the bottom color of my walls are a color match to the cabinets.
I also have chair rail as you will see. Also have stenciling there as well.
I want to take down the chair rail, still like it but kind of tired of it too. Just want a change I guess.
So I have seen a pic of the walls painted the same color as the cabinets a (cream color) I loved it and thought it looked pretty.

So what would your opinions be on this change. i think I will get a fresh new look. Thoughts??

I have about 6 pics to post, so give me some time. lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

my pictures

Posts: 4830 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post

my pictures

Posts: 4830 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Here's an inspiration pic of what I want to do

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Next

inspiration

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
So what do you all think? Get away from my current kitchen and dining room design and go clean?
Also kitchen looks different don't have as much things on the counter.
And in the dining room I don't have the sheers up either.

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
I think that would be nice Sophie. Your kitchen cabinets look much prettier than the ones in your inspiration pic's.

Are you thinking of a paint color lighter than the paint on the bottom half of your walls?

Posts: 9823 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Always the paint color on the bottom part of the walls, is a color match to my cabinets. So all the walls would be that same color.
You think I should go for it?

Are you camping this week or was that last week?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilsophie:
Always the paint color on the bottom part of the walls, is a color match to my cabinets. So all the walls would be that same color.
You think I should go for it?

Are you camping this week or was that last week?

You have a good memory...beach camping starts this weekend through next week. I'll be off work Tues-Friday. We'll probably go down to the beach this weekend and then a few days next week too.

Oh I like the idea of bringing the lighter color all the way up. At least you are familiar with the color and not starting from scratch trying to pick out a new color.

Posts: 9823 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feelings...first, it looks really nice the way it is, but I understand your need for change; second, I get the look you're going for, and have thought about the same look for my future house; third, however, I'm a bit concerned about your furniture being the same color...maybe not enough contrast? But one way to add the contrast would be with art...put some black background art or trays on the wall and it could be stunning.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Always have a fun vaca next week. I have to go back to work next Tuesday, it's very depressing Frown
Thank goodness I only work part time, but still.

Nita. your right about the table and chairs, didn't think about about..hmmm
I did just buy new fabric to recover my chair seats tho. It's a cute print with creams, greens, and blues. That could help in adding color to the dining room. Also I don't mind going shopping for things for the wall. lol

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I love your dining area so hate to see you change it.

I have a white table and chairs and then had white bead board installed so I am interested in what you do. I'm struggling with the white on white.

Posts: 8076 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Hi Annie, good to see you. I don't know what to do, I want a change, but afraid I won't like it. I'm just not sure. I still really like what I have going on in my kitchen and dining room. But have had it like this for years. I would hate to change it all and then think it looks so plain...Uggggg lol

Annie, I love beadboard, hope you have pics to share when it's finished.

posted Hide Post
Sophie, if you can, can you take a picture further back showing the overall area of kitchen and table area?

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Here's are two more pics that I have saved. Don't have one with both areas in one picture.
See if this helps at all. 2 pics coming.

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Here's another pic showing the other side of kitchen with two toned walls.

my pictures

posted Hide Post
I think I would like the walls painted a lighter color. I have a chair rail also but painted upper and lower walls the same color. Don't thow anything at me (lol) but have you considered painting your stools and chairs black to match the trim on your stove?

love life

Posts: 1571 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by May:
I think I would like the walls painted a lighter color. I have a chair rail also but painted upper and lower walls the same color. Don't thow anything at me (lol) but have you considered painting your stools and chairs black to match the trim on your stove?

May, I have been wanting to paint my stools for a long time. But never could decide what color to paint them. Not sure about black, because most of my rooms are soft colors, but I will sure think about it.
Dining room chairs I have never thought of paint, but you got me pondering now lol

posted Hide Post
I still think you will have enough contrast between you wall color and wood furniture especially if you are switching out the fabric on the seats.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Your rooms are so lovely! I would add the patterned chair covers first before painting. Maybe that is the only "zing" that you need!

Posts: 3276 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grapefruit:
Your rooms are so lovely! I would add the patterned chair covers first before painting. Maybe that is the only "zing" that you need!

Grapefruit, I only have one more to cover. Reveal will be tomorrow. I think they are looking great Smile

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Agree that slipcovers for the chairs would look nice. We are patiently waiting for your reveal. You have lovely rooms!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9519 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Yes, we are waiting........ Wink

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Annie I just finished the chairs 10 minutes ago LOL. I was lazy today and didn't want to get started...sigh. Let me clean up the area a bit, you all don't need to see the mess I made. Smile
I like the fabric. I was wanting a plaid but didn't find any I liked. And I was impatient. lol
I will now have to change the fabric on the kitchen window. It's just not going to work any longer. Now will have to decide what fabric would look best.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Ok here is the dining room chairs with the new fabric, tell me what you think. A go or a no? lol
And notice no sheers on the window!!

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
fabric itself

my pictures

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I love it. Does it make enough change that you are happy?

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
It does Annie, I'm loving the new fabric.
But still thinking of painting the walls to all one color. The bottom color that matches the cabinets.
What's your opinion of this?

posted Hide Post
I would leave the chair rail moulding up and paint everything the same cream colour. It will emphasize the details of the room and look very pretty.

Posts: 562 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SusanBradfordKent:
I would leave the chair rail moulding up and paint everything the same cream colour. It will emphasize the details of the room and look very pretty.

So Susan, bottom, top and molding all one color...Cream??

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Ahh,

The fabric is a perfect touch of color and a little splash of whimsy.

I like the look of the DR windows without the sheers. Are you changing the valance over the sink? This is a fun pattern for that fabric. You could use the finials also for hanging it for a different look.

http://www.patemeadows.com/delaine.htm#.U-d3gWNeKSo

Finials...

http://www.patemeadows.com/Kno...s-Tiebacks_c_44.html

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9519 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Beau, yes I'm going to have to change the fabric on that window. It's just not going to work now.

posted Hide Post
Your new fabric looks great Lilsophie. Did you do the chair cushions yourself? Mine are over-due for a change of fabric again, but I need to have the foam cushion replaced too this time.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. I would not remove the chair rail. It would be difficult to patch the walls and the chair rail is an added feature to the space.

Posts: 13138 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Have you decided yet?

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Always, yes i recovered the seats myself. They are so easy to do. And I only spent $30 on fabric Smile
What do you think about a plaid in the same colors as the chairs for kitchen window treatment.
Thanks LOS, so with the chair rail molding being the same colors as the walls is OK?
I'm still not sure Annie, still thinking...LOL
What I was wondering tho, is that mirror that is hung in DR is white. Don't think it will look good on a cream wall color. And I don't want to paint the mirror I really like the distressed white color it is....sigh