Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  kitchen changes (added pics)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

kitchen changes (added pics) Sign In/Join 
posted
Making some changes to the kitchen to sell. We had already started with getting the stainless steel appliances. The only one left to get was the range- which we were planning on getting around now anyway.

So- to make things match, we got the new range. But the lovely stainless steel made the 20 year old, slightly beat up laminate counter tops look really bad.

We looked into several kinds of replacements- all cost prohibitive. And we didn't want to spend a lot knowing a buyer might not appreciate it anyway- but we wanted the kitchen to show well, too.

Here's a "before" of the kitchen with the old counter tops

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tomatoqueen,

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
here's another before shot

posted Hide Post
We finally decided upon resurfacing. There are DIY kits available for around $20- but I decided to save myself the trouble and found a company that would do it for $100. Not bad to spend on "new" counter tops!

Here's one "after" shot

posted Hide Post
Here's another "after" shot. When I took these pictures, the appliances were still in the middle of the room- so I'll take more pictures later.

The counters look more charcoal and work better with the backsplash in person than they do in the pictures.

posted Hide Post
That looks nice especially since it takes away the wooden counter lip. The darker color ties in the black on the range.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a handful of things to do to finish the kitchen updates, including paint touch ups and going over the cabinets with liquid gold.

I'm pleased that this is working for us- and that we were able to find a solution for the counters.

Granted, it might not be exactly what the buyer wants anyway... but it may be something they can live with for a couple of years while they save up for the granite or quartz (or whatever).

posted Hide Post
They were able to do the resurfacing right over the wooden counter lip. You can see a slight seam if you look carefully, but it really doesn't show up much at all.

Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
That looks great. What a difference. What kind of company does that type of work? I wouldn't even know how to go about finding someone to do it.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Great makeover

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Nice makeover TQ. And for $100.00! I'm sure your new buyers will love it.

Wanda

Posts: 4800 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New pictures with the appliances in place:

posted Hide Post
another:

posted Hide Post
Wow, what a wonderful transformation! Looks like a brand new kitchen.

Posts: 3055 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
that looks nice! Nothing better than looking at a newly decorated room!!!

great job!

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5552 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not bad for 20 year old oak cabinets!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
You had me at the new Fridge! Looking GOOD!

Posts: 9533 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Well from what I can see, they certainly don't look 20 years old. Good job, the kitchen looks great and I'm sure no one will have a problem with those appliances.

Wanda

Posts: 4800 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
Very nice, and very universally appealing.

Have you seen this site (I mean, I'm sure you have... But I could not believe what they did with laminate countertops and oak cabinets. Gorgeous. I think their house sold in a snap. It's about good taste, and you have it.

Would you change the pulls to stainless? We have these lovely cup pulls on our drawers. Not sure now they'd look with oak, but I did get them cheap on ebay! Smile

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is the best use of $100 I've seen... it looks great. You've got to be so excited having a new kitchen to play in. I'm anxious to see a true after picture... I like to see the end product. Two thumbs up!
Becky

Posts: 4454 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lenie
posted Hide Post
Looks wonderful!!!Gives me some inspiration for my kitchen. I have 19 yr old woak cabinets, and this really helps me "see" what my kitchen will look like soon!!1

Posts: 811 | Location: southern | Registered: Nov 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
I wasn't aware that could be done. Looks great!

Posts: 874 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I'm liking the kitchen more now- even if I am leaving it soon.

Just a few small things to do in that room.

And a lot more small things to do in every other room, too!

Hopefully the house will be on the market next week.

posted Hide Post
I really like how the countertops turned out. I was wanting to try this,but Ive been nervous. I love how yours turned out. Kitchen looks so inviting!

~Tania~

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
TQ,

That was a great result with your project. It really updated the kitchen too. Best wishes for your move.

Keep us posted.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9342 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
Holy Cow! I just realized you just resurfaced them, not replaced them. I need to read stuff, and not just look at pictures. That makes it 10 times cooler. Nice job!!!!

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post