Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Is This Too Victorian Looking for a Sort-of Beachy Cottage Family Room?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is This Too Victorian Looking for a Sort-of Beachy Cottage Family Room? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello All! I'm new to this boards and hoping someone can help me. I love this ottoman but I'm wondering if it is too Victorian looking for my family room?

My family room has white slipcovered couches and chairs, wood floors, and sheer white curtains and bamboo blinds on the windows. My walls are a light grey/blue.

Would this ottoman be out of place?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bernie1112,

Pic of Ottoman

Posts: 4 | Location: Mission Viejo, CA | Registered: Aug 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
bernie,
I hope you have not having problems posting your photo! Lower the size of it and that might help!

WELCOME to the boards! Looking forward to hearing more about your interesting projects!
I LOVE the way you described your beach theme family room, sounds so cozy!

Posts: 9537 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
bernie,
I hope you have not having problems posting your photo! Lower the size of it and that might help!

WELCOME to the boards! Looking forward to hearing more about your interesting projects!
I LOVE the way you described your beach theme family room, sounds so cozy!

Thank you so much Mary Ruth! I am having issues with posting my pic. I'm using the image code from tinypic but it doesn't seem to be working. How can I post my pic?

Posts: 4 | Location: Mission Viejo, CA | Registered: Aug 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without seeing pics of the room it is hard to really say, but based on your description of the room, I can't see that ottoman fitting in very well. Sorry...

Posts: 3252 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
bernie,
I SEE you got to post your beautiful photo!

I LOVE that ottoman! IT would go with a beachy look wonderfully! Just have that intensity of turquoise in a couple of more accessories to balance the weight of the color in a room with lots of white slip covers. Not sure how light (all white) your rooms are, and whether you have other vibrant colors in the room, or Turquoise (which is a GREAT beach color).

Thanks for making the effort to get your photo on your post! LOVE IT!

I have a few Pinterest boards with beach theme if you want to view inspirational photos:

http://pinterest.com/mary_ruth/beach-coastal-cottage/

http://pinterest.com/mary_ruth...h-coastal-cottage-2/

and one I just started for Turquoise:
http://pinterest.com/mary_ruth/turquoise-aqua-love/

I love anything BEACH!

I am not in a beach community, meaning right on the beach, but live within 3 miles of the Atlantic Ocean. Do you live near the beach? Or just loving the look? Your state location was not filled out on your profile so I didn't know (shows up at the bottom of our posts)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9537 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Pretty ottoman, love it!!

Posts: 4591 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
It certainly doesn't sound out of place. The color is deeeelish and lends itself well to the beachy feel. I ditto the advice to scatter variations of the ottoman color around the room even in a print with white. Hope you can post pics of the space.

Welcome!

Posts: 18460 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I say I don't think it will go with a beach theme, I'm not talking about the color necessarily although it may not blend in that well with blue gray. I'm talking about the style of the ottoman. Without seeing the actual furniture it would be with, how can we tell?

Posts: 3252 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Exactly. It is difficult to say definitively that it will "go" other than it's color w/o a pic. I based my answer purely on the OP's description factoring in the eclectic approach to decorating. Frequently, a piece that is not in keeping with the other furnishings in a room can work out fine though it does take an eye.. We have probably all seen an antique chair upholstered in a contemporary fabric and the juxtaposition was beautiful as well as refreshingly unexpected.

Posts: 18460 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Bernie, would 2 of these side by side work better?

http://www.beso.com/skyline-st...g-4899775481/product

Hope you can post a pic or two.

posted Hide Post
Beach houses by their nature are usually an eclectic collection of furniture and accessories. Even the most "decorated" rooms have a casual, easy look about them. I can't imagine the ottoman wouldn't look beautiful with white slips and wood floors. It will look even more incorporated if there are a few other items in the room of the same colour. They can also be things like vases or planters.

Posts: 490 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some rustic containers that would be very pretty.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SusanBradfordKent,

posted Hide Post
And lastly, an idea for throw pillows. I personally don't think it is necessary to have a lot of the accent colour to make the room look finished. Just one or two well chosen things are all you need.

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Very pretty ottoman. I love the color. Can you post a picture of your space to get a better idea of tying the ottoman and your space together?

Posts: 9439 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I apologize that I am unable to post pics of my actual furniture - not at home right now.

In general, although I do have kind of a beachy cottagy look to my family room, I do also like pieces that are a little different for that eclectic but casual look. I don't like to be matchy-matchy but I do plan on tying in the color of the ottoman in throw pillows of white with some kind of turquoise on them - maybe a turquoise starfish?

I am in Mission Viejo, California - about 10 miles inland from Laguna Beach.

Here is what my couches look like:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bernie1112,

What my couches look like.

posted Hide Post
I could see that ottoman working for beachy/cottage.

https://www.google.com/search?...oAQ&biw=1360&bih=651

Posts: 9439 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
It will look great with your white sofa. Very pretty.
I'm not very far from you.

I know exactly where you live. Great area. Not very far from me really.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be the (2nd) dissenting voice, and somewhat agree with sms...while of course we all agree that we can't really answer definitively without a picture, my concern is not with the color or style, but with the fabric. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the ottoman might be velvet. If so, then velvet, in my opinion, is too heavy for white slipcovers and a beachy feel. I understand the eclectic approach, and that it might could be done successfully; I would just be cautious.

Posts: 4027 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Everybody,

You have all been so gracious with your suggestions and comments and I appreciate it so much!

There were 2 of you that were not excited about the idea (and I thank you for your honesty!) especially because I could not provide pics of my actual family room. I took your comments to heart as well which is why I still struggled with what to do. The truth is, my family room is a complete mess with being "under construction" at the moment.

I found a pic that has "sealed the deal" for me (attached). I'm going to get the ottoman and hopefully I will definitely come back to this post and put pics up of my new family room.

Thank you all again!!

Picture of Cathydawkins24
posted Hide Post
I love the ottoman! And am glad to hear you went for it. Look forward to seeing the final product Smile

Posts: 7 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Dec 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah - great inspiration photo! You've convinced me Wink Can't wait to see your interpretation.

Posts: 4027 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cathydawkins24:
I love the ottoman! And am glad to hear you went for it. Look forward to seeing the final product Smile

I'm with Cathy :-)

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I love the ottoman and I think it will look fantastic with your beachy scheme.

Wanda

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like it might work.